Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2008, 13:28   #31

Boat: Watkins 27
Did you get the solar panel? If I was over in your part of the woods I would take 97octane up in a heart beat. Free help and someone to sail with.

Lostmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 16:11   #32

Yep got the solar panel. I spent all day using amazing goop all over everything that seemed to let water in with the rain storms the last 4 days. I just realized all my books are toast, they got completely soaked and my video camera was sitting about 2 inches from the puddle that ruined my book. My Nintendo DS saved most of my other stuff, it was wrapped up in a ziplock bag and servived. All my food made it through with no water damage, now it time to get the towels out and sop up all the yuck.

I will give you a shout 97octane when I pop back, I am selling stuff on Craigslist and have to come back to pick up money. hehehe
Volksdraggin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2008, 19:17   #33

Oh, I assumed I had a bad VHF, it was not working right, no weather info or anything. Considered possible moisture got to it, but when my Am/FM radio went bananas, I knew something was up. sitting here around 6:30 in the dark, I noticed might lights were really dim in the cabin. I considered if there was a way for shore power to charge it, which I didn't have one yet.

Threw on the charger and bam, super bright lights, vhf and radio works and all is right with the world.
Old 12-11-2008, 20:06   #34

How new are your batteries? When I got my boat the PO told me that both batteries were less than a year old. So I made the mistake of hooking them both up together. I killed both batteries. One was bad and it killed the good one.

On your rain leaks I hope you didn't use silicone caulk. Silicone caulk and fiberglass don't get along. I took one of them cheap blue tarps from walmart and put it over my boom to help keep out the rain leak that I can't seem to find where it is coming. After the 5+ inches Monday I had about a gallon of water in the cabin on the floor. I redid the portholes a couple of months ago as they were leaking. It could be blowing in under the pop top. Hope so as this would be an easy fix.

Keep us posted on you progress.
Old 12-11-2008, 21:36   #35

The batteries are brand new, I made a point of having them. I didn't consider how they where hooked up and ran all my lights/radio for the last 2 weeks without a single charge and they still started the motor.

I used something called "Amazing Goop" which is like a pure silicone with TFT compound, so I am guessing. It doesn't really say on the tube what exactly is in it, but it sure does work REALLY well and I picked it up at a boat store, so hopefully it will last.
Old 13-11-2008, 09:12   #36

Good to know that your batteries will last you 2 weeks. I wouldn't run them way down. With the solar charger I would keep it on my main battery and save the other batter as a back up. They make a dual battery switch. I plan on getting one.

The problem with silicone caulk is that you can never get it totally removed if you try to paint over it. Paint will not stick to it.

Old 13-11-2008, 09:36   #37

Ahhh I hear what you're saying now about the chalk, I was afraid there was some chemical reaction I didn't know about. The boat was freshly painted before i bought her so I guess I will tackle that issue when the time rolls back around, for right now I am tired of everything being wet.

I have a a switch in the cabin to change which battery I pull from, I have it set on duel. I will switch it over to the deep cycle and leave it there, the out board I have is a real gem, it fires up with hardly any power need and pull starts like a champ also. Its a Nissan 9.8, I would figure it had a 6v generator on it but didn't find any information with the boat about it so I will assume it doesn't and be happy if I find out it does.
Old 13-11-2008, 10:00   #38

Your Nissan 9.8 if it has charging ability it is 12 volt. One other item I would recommend you get is a couple of cans of Seafoam. Little pricey but well worth it when it comes to moisture in the fuel. With the humidity along the coast there is always a good possibility of water getting into the fuel.

Old 13-11-2008, 10:05   #39

Better a little money now then spending mucho later.

Thanks for the advice. Keep it coming!

I have been throwing around the idea of nixing the trip to Corpus and head east toward Florida. I will pop over at redfish in the morning and consider, but I think with the up coming coldness on its way, I don't want to be out in the cold so I will just get my voyage started in that direction.
Old 13-11-2008, 10:29   #40

Not a good idea on heading to Fla. this time of year. You will be motoring most of the way. Beating into a head wind. From your location to N.O you will be hard pressed to find fuel. You will need to stay in the ICW. Once you get to N.O you can cut across if you have some off shore experience.

If I can find the post on another forum board that a friend of mine made about their trip to Fla from here. I'll post it for you.

Old 13-11-2008, 19:47   #41

What I added for an anchor light was a WalMart LED lantern. They are small around 5 bucks use 4 AA batteries. They are very bright and can be seen for miles, last for many many nights. I also have stick up led lights for the cabin from WalMart cost about 9 dollars for a package of 3. They take 2 AA batteries and last for months. I use rechargeable batteries. This save on the main battery bank. My motor is 2 stroke with no way to charge batteries thats why I went with solar and will add a wind generator.

If you get a chance drop over to this forum. Trailer Sailor Discussion Forum - Message Index There is a lot of members that will be along your route to Fla. Bunch of very knowledgeable sailors there. They can advise you on anchorage mooring, fuel, supplies, and what its like sailing through their sailing area.

We are planing the same trip next spring and these are things that I have learned from other sailors.

Old 14-11-2008, 05:47   #42

Thanks Lostmt, I must have read your mind before you even posted. I went a few nights ago and got one of those lanterns to do exactly what you stated. My old roommate bought me some of those sticky led lights and already have them posted up all over the boat.

I will def check out the TSDF and see what they have to recommend. Thanks for all the advice!
Old 14-11-2008, 19:07   #43

Glad you got yourself one. They are great little lights.

I was talking to a friend at the marina this evening about you heading towards Fla. He had done the trip leaving in December. Like to froze to death. He said he had on everything he owned and finally pulled up some river and anchored until spring.

Wish I could help you on good anchor location. I've not done the trip yet. Hopefully someone that has will chime in or some of your marina mates that have can help you out on that end.

We were hoping to do some sailing this weekend but it looks like we are in for a big northerner with high wind and rough water. Small craft advisory in effect starting late tonight.

Keep a close eye for a good weather window before you leave.

Fair winds and have a great time.
David

Old 22-11-2008, 06:34   #44

Boat: nebe cape 28
HI I did the trip from galveston to mobile al off shore and the ditch all the way to panama city, from there off shore to tampa then on to the key west.the trip from galveston to mobile was a long 5 day haul, I did not get regular sleep during that time do to all the oil riggs,I did the trip solo if you can get someone to go with you on that leg of the trip it will help you, it is a long one.and if you have leecks now after 5 days in any kind of weather you will have more. I have used and recomend having a few bottles of captain tollys creeping grack cure on board it works great for port light leaks untill you can rebed them later. bring warm cloths and have good rain gear and rubber boots that you can wear winter socks in. to save money pick up boots from any good shrimp boat supply house there are several down were you are at. if you have any questions ask away I will check in bill.
Old 22-11-2008, 07:38   #45

David & Bill, thanks for the information. I was fearing leaving this late and it being too damn cold to do anything. I am in a situation that requires me to bite the bullet and just deal with the cold to get what I had planned on the way. I haven't considered shrimp boat store to get rubber boots but thats logical.

If you did the run along the coast, would you still be contending with the oil rigs between Galveston and Mobile? Why didn't you consider doing the ICW to New Orleans and go out in the gulf from that point over to Pensacola?

Tags
kemah, texas