Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2020, 12:36   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Jumping in head first

A lightning is a fun, small boat to learn on, and they race them on lakes all over the US.

They are 19' long.

I has a mainsail, jib, and spinnaker.

Also keep in mind long distance sailing is a very slow thing to do. You have to be the right sort.

I get a bit antsy waiting while crossing 20-35 miles of Chesapeake Bay just to get to a nice spot. If the wind is up and it rough, it's more exciting to a point. (when it is like that I really want to be going downwind especially in the lower bay south)

https://www.lightningclass.org/

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/lightning
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 12:55   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

Starting in a dinghy is a great way to sail a rtw one day. And much sooner than one could think.

Push it off the beach, learn all the tricks where the only penalty is getting wet, a bit bruised and maybe a bit laughed at.

From proficient dinghy sailor there is only then one small step to cross the deep seas..

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 13:14   #18

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Hey Josh! You will find some great advice around here, and plenty who will tell you it's impossible. It's been my experience that you will get plenty of offers to "c'mon down and go for a sail anytime!" But, the reality is that most sailing boats are not in sailing condition, and spend most of their time tied to the dock....Just like most sailors. Buy a boat that's in good shape, and sail it. Keep it ready to sail, and invite all of the sailors in the marina who's boats won't sail, to go for a rip. A few short years ago I was just a dreamer like you. Today, my boat is the one that's kept in sailing shape, and ready to go at a moment's notice. If nobody wants to go, I go alone. If everyone wants to go, we make room. I'm not a skilled sailor, but I can make a boat go the direction I want, and it's been years since I sunk one. C'mon down to FL or over to TN, and as long as I'm close to one of them, we'll go for a sail anytime!
Old 21-05-2020, 13:34   #19

Boat: Samson C Mist 32

For learning to sail, the smaller the boat, the better. On a "blue water boat, you can do several things wrong and still sail along pretty well; in a small boat you'll be swimming! Much better feedback.
Steve Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 19:34   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fence Man View Post
Hey Josh! You will find some great advice around here, and plenty who will tell you it's impossible. It's been my experience that you will get plenty of offers to "c'mon down and go for a sail anytime!" But, the reality is that most sailing boats are not in sailing condition, and spend most of their time tied to the dock....Just like most sailors. Buy a boat that's in good shape, and sail it. Keep it ready to sail, and invite all of the sailors in the marina who's boats won't sail, to go for a rip. A few short years ago I was just a dreamer like you. Today, my boat is the one that's kept in sailing shape, and ready to go at a moment's notice. If nobody wants to go, I go alone. If everyone wants to go, we make room. I'm not a skilled sailor, but I can make a boat go the direction I want, and it's been years since I sunk one. C'mon down to FL or over to TN, and as long as I'm close to one of them, we'll go for a sail anytime!
Sounds awesome, I will be one with a boat that moves for sure. Thank u for your help and I just may take u up on that offer some day. I’m going to get a small enough craft to really learn on the lake , but as big as possible. I know a lot of them are 30’ on the lake and there is 4 sailing/yacht clubs very close. I am considering what a fellow said earlier about making sure the boat isn’t to big or I won’t have fun sailing on a lake . It looks like I’m going to have to buy a small sailer to mess around on at the lake and then move forward with further plans to buy refit and make some passages . Thanks again
Joshwandrey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 20:19   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Agreed. Plenty of opinions just like on any other speaker's corner.

Simply listen to everybody and then ... do your own thing.

It is the doer that makes things move.

And listening to opinions can make your head turn. It may also bring you the snippets of info not available elsewhere.

Many heads, many opinions = GOOD NEWS.

Ask, listen, learn. But above all: ACT.

;-)
Hugs,
barnakiel
Will do , I’m glad I got to talk to some real people, I’m a tree guy by trade , arborist, anyways one thing I’ve learned in life and business, it’s all about the doer and what I like to call “the driving force”, I’m stoked I got some good stuff out of here , I’ll keep posting so I can plunder all of your minds for information
Old 22-05-2020, 05:38   #22

Boat: Pearson 33-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshwandrey1 View Post
Sounds awesome, I will be one with a boat that moves for sure. Thank u for your help and I just may take u up on that offer some day. I’m going to get a small enough craft to really learn on the lake , but as big as possible. I know a lot of them are 30’ on the lake and there is 4 sailing/yacht clubs very close. I am considering what a fellow said earlier about making sure the boat isn’t to big or I won’t have fun sailing on a lake . It looks like I’m going to have to buy a small sailer to mess around on at the lake and then move forward with further plans to buy refit and make some passages . Thanks again
Sounds like a good plan. Barnakiel raised a great point with the dinghy sailing. We keep a big dinghy/small boat at home for daysailing, and it will certainly keep you humble while making you a better sailor. And talk about fun!!!
Old 22-05-2020, 06:54   #23
dlj

Boat: Belliure 41

I keep hearing you say "refit" in your posts. I ask, do you want to sail? Or do you want to work on boats? I did lots of the "refit" over the years. I discovered that if you want to work on a boat, then you can have refit in your mind. But if you want to sail, then you should drop that part from the forefront. Yes, I know, it's really tempting to buy a cheap boat, and there are lots of them out there, thinking with a bit of sweat equity and some bits and parts, I'll have a great boat to go sail in no time! Well, history has shown me that is simply a misconception. The amount of money you will have to drop into a boat to get it in good shape by working on it, doesn't add up. You spend more money than buying a boat you can go sail right from the purchase. Sure, you'll spend more money up front,but if you look at the cost to bring a boat up to that level after purchase, most of the time,you will actually find you spend less money on the good boat in the first place.

Then there is the argument that well, I did all this work so I know the boat inside and out. This is true, But that may be more in-line with your next boat, the one you are going to do water sailing">blue water sailing in. Your first boat, and especially as it's really recommended to get one that is small, like under 28 feet, decent boats in the small size range will often sell for fairly small amounts of money. There seems to be a cut-off right around 30 feet. 30 feet and up, and you spend a lot more money than buying a boat under 30 feet.

Truly the best way to learn to sail, going down the 'buy the boat route', is to start with a small boat. Assess what your needs are, need a cabin? You going to do over nights? Are you're going to day sail? I recommend getting a trailerable small boat. No marina fees, inexpensive to sail, maintain, and run. There are a number of great trailerable sailboats out there for pretty much any level of sailing you may wish to do. There are even blue water capable trailerable boats (those aren't cheap).

dj
dlj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 09:05   #24

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fence Man View Post
This is one of the top ten answers I have ever read on CF. I know I'd be friends with you Fence Man!
Old 22-05-2020, 14:58   #25

I do now plan on buying a smaller craft for the lake for learning purposes, I’m looking at 22-28’ . As for later on I’m looking at multiple options, but a lot still involve buying a semi-used boat in the 40-50 range , and before I go anywhere I’m guessing I’m going to need to fix small issues , change our sails exc. but just to be clear I’m not intending on a cheap boat I can rebuild , but even if I put in 100k I’m probably not buying a new boat. Also the trades I intend to use in my travels will require me to set things up on the boat before the long trip...much appreciated guidance.

Tags
head