Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2020, 15:54   #1

Hello World!

Hey!
Last summer we got our licenses and started looking for a cat. Finally, we purchased one that in the production stage right now. Before it will be ready to sail away we watch other cruisers YouTube videos and read this forum that gave us so much experience. Just wanted to say hey and thank you!

P&R
Pete_n_Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 16:04   #2

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.
Boat: Antares 44i
Re: Hello World!

Welcome to CF!

Cut down some of your YouTube time, buy a cheap, small, trailerable or car-topable sailboat off Craigslist, and get on the water. Time better spent!
dougweibel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 16:42   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
Welcome to CF!
Cut down some of your YouTube time, buy a cheap, small, trailerable or car-topable sailboat off Craigslist, and get on the water. Time better spent!
Thank you!

It's hard to stop watching some of them. Especially, if you can't wait to sail away yourself.

You're right, it's a good idea. We had similar thoughts. Finally, we decided do not deal with used boats due to a list of reasons. Probably, rent a charter cat with a captain would work better in our case (bunch of kids, we like to reshape whatever we buy). Maybe, just join some crew, maybe help someone to launch a good YouTube show, in exchange they would teach us how to sail. Something like that.
Old 21-05-2020, 17:14   #4

Location: Occasionally in Colorado. Generally live-aboard. Eastern Caribbean last winter. Nova Scotia and Newfoundland hopefully this summer.

Nah. Chartering is fine but misses my point. I have a very nice, newer cat that my wife and I live aboard 50%. Still, I always have (at least one) cheap small boat to play with when off the big boat. Go find yourself something for a couple thousand (or a couple hundred) dollars that you can sail locally after work or whenever. You will be surprised how much you learn about sailing, and at a much faster rate, sailing small boats. When you get tired of it, or when you are ready to go cruising full time put it back on Craigslist. I've had a string of Lasers, Hobies, etc. that I've bought, sailed a season or more, then sold, usually at a gain just because I cleaned the boat up and maybe spent $50 on repairs.

Just saying that though it is easy to get sucked in watching YouTube sailing is more fun in real life and you don't have to wait for the big boat to get in some sailing fun

If you've got kids buy a couple of small boats and watch what happens!!!
Old 21-05-2020, 17:33   #5

Makes sense. I guess we should look for some. Just didn't want to deal with old boats, repair them, redesign interior, etc.
Old 21-05-2020, 18:16   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_n_Ryan View Post
Makes sense. I guess we should look for some. Just didn't want to deal with old boats, repair them, redesign interior, etc.
You seem to be missing the point: the sort of boat under discussion doesn't have an interior to redesign. And it isn't meant to be a project... buy it, sail it as is and learn as you go. Do not try to "improve" it or "make it yours" as is so often touted here on CF. It is simply a fun toy to use as a learning tool. When you are through with it, give it away to another newbie or pass it via craig's list. You will be out less than the cost of a single week's charter of a very modest boat, and you will have garnered far more useful knowledge.

Quote:
we watch other cruisers YouTube videos and read this forum that gave us so much experience.
No, these practices do not give you experience... really, there is no short cut to experience. But no one wants to hear that, do they?

Jim
Old 21-05-2020, 18:25   #7

Here are a few on Craigslist in your area now. None look like an amazing deal but still small $. Buy the Hobie and you will really learn about tacking a cat Plus, you can either load it down with the whole family or take it out singlehanded in a good wind for some excitement.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa...121159193.html

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa...126344388.html

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa...126440458.html

Old 21-05-2020, 18:32   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougweibel View Post
Here are a few on Craigslist in your area now. None look like an amazing deal but still small $. Buy the Hobie and you will really learn about tacking a cat Plus, you can either load it down with the whole family or take it out singlehanded in a good wind for some excitement.

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa...121159193.html

https://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/boa...126344388.html

Oh, tiny like these? I thought you guys were talking about 25-30ft.
Would it be okay for 2 adults and 3 kids?
Old 21-05-2020, 18:35   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
You seem to be missing the point: the sort of boat under discussion doesn't have an interior to redesign. And it isn't meant to be a project... buy it, sail it as is and learn as you go. Do not try to "improve" it or "make it yours" as is so often touted here on CF. It is simply a fun toy to use as a learning tool. When you are through with it, give it away to another newbie or pass it via craig's list. You will be out less than the cost of a single week's charter of a very modest boat, and you will have garnered far more useful knowledge.

No, these practices do not give you experience... really, there is no short cut to experience. But no one wants to hear that, do they?

Jim
Thanks Jim!
I thought you guys were talking about 25-30ft boats and said to myself huh probably that would be another "project" lol.
Old 21-05-2020, 18:45   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_n_Ryan View Post
Oh, tiny like these? I thought you guys were talking about 25-30ft.
Would it be okay for 2 adults and 3 kids?
The Laser is only good for 1 adult and 1, maybe 2 kids (if small). I don't know the Whaler. The Capri you'd have to look at. The Hobie you could get all 5 on though it would be overloaded and sail as such.

For 2 adults + 3 kids I'd poke around and find some combo like an older/cheaper Laser/Sunfish/Force 5/etc. you could transport on top of a Hobie so you just have just one trailer. Two boats will be much more fun for everyone. Or perhaps there is a good place to sail in your area where you can leave the boats at the water - we have that here at our home base in CO with a local sailing club and it is awesome to be able to ride my bike out to the lake and go sail.
Old 21-05-2020, 19:01   #11

Boat: McCurdy & Rhodes Custom 46

Sunfish. Inexpensive and a blast. Laser. Fireball. Anything two people can put on a car roof. My big boat is a big boat. My wife and still have 4 sailboats under 16 feet. Yes their average age is over 45 and two are wood but oh what fun.
When the kids were young we cruised with either a sunfish or a laser or an optimist on the foredeck. Now we still cruise with sailing dinghys.
Small boats offer immediate feedback, swift but mild punishment for mistakes, and an intimacy with the wind and water that is amazing.
dfelsent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 01:11   #12

Sailing a dinghy or a small boat teaches you to sail... feel the impact of wind shifts, gusts and sail trim...
I'm sure people learn on big boats... but small boat sailing is a purer version of sailing... and a real joy.
I love our Cav 39 for cruising... but I still sail a beat up $400 laser for fun... and I'm building a sailing rig for our tender this season.
nzmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 09:27   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by nzmal View Post
Sailing a dinghy or a small boat teaches you to sail... feel the impact of wind shifts, gusts and sail trim...
I'm sure people learn on big boats... but small boat sailing is a purer version of sailing... and a real joy.
I love our Cav 39 for cruising... but I still sail a beat up $400 laser for fun... and I'm building a sailing rig for our tender this season.
thanks for sharing! I got excited to try!