Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2006, 15:28   #1

Send a message via Yahoo to Carena
Smile Introduction - Carena from New Zealand

Hi

I was born in Namibia but immigrated to New Zealand in 1999. I recently went sailing on a Catamaran in the Bay of Islands. I have to say that I loved it so much that I'm hooked now. I am trying to find out how I can find sailors that are looking for someone to sail with them around the world, islands, etc. I thought it might be a good idea to join this site. I'm interested in learning more about sailing and would like to meet people that are doing this.

I'm healthy, fit and workout regularly.

I apologise if this is not the right place to introduce myself.

I'm looking forward to hearing from anyone who would like to help me on my way to a great sailing experience.

Cheers
Old 23-02-2006, 17:17   #2

Carena once whispered in the wind

Quote:
I apologise if this is not the right place to introduce myself.
Carena. You're in the right place for your introduction. Welcome aboard.

You've come to a very great forum. Inwhich has the best seasoned sailors in the world inside this forum.

Along with sailor wannabe's (like myself). But I have 9 years in the US Navy!!

Well Carena. Welcome aboard. And you'll find in here that there are lots of people who wants to learn more about sailing on this website!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 14:31   #3

Thank you Captaink for the warm welcome. I appreciate it a lot. I'm in the beginning stages of my sailing experiences but hope to get a lot more in the year to come. I've been on a Catamaran 15mx7.3m and I absolutely loved it. It is so nice to sail fast and flat as they say. I've been on a monohaul after that but I must say the Cat is very comfortable. Since my interest in sailing I've read so many websites of people that travelled around the world and I am amased. I am looking forward to that day that I can do that. I'm planning to pay of debt, save money and then hopefully start my adventure around the world. Not sure how I will do it yet but maybe as crew helping out.

I'm very excited to be part of this site and am looking forward to making great friends on here.

Cheers
Carena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 15:45   #4

Well Carena.

Yes. It would be nice to fullfill a dream that other people may see as unnessary. As others greatly enjoy!!

I will be getting a sailboat within the next few months or so. Providing everything goes according to plan.

And talking about debts and other types of spending. In the sailboat lifestyle, you have to spend some money every year towards the boat. Towards maintenance. No matter if it's a monohull. Or a multihull, like a catamaran!!

Saving money is a very good option. Like with me. I will be buying a used boat. Fix it up. (Which I'm very grateful that it's very little to fix here.)

Sail this boat alot. Get to know the feel of this boat. And learn everything about that boat. The depthsounder. GPS. VHF radio. Learn the charts for a particular area, that you'll do most of you sailing in. The toilet, and other bathroom (head) equipment. The galley. Etc. Etc.

One of my future ambitions is to sail around a majority of this world. There are certain areas that does not peak my interests. One area that does not appeal to me is the Middle East. I have already been there. I was in the first "Gulf War." And I do not want to go back. Unless I had a lot of machine guns and grenades and other bomb equipment. To me that part of the world is too risky to mess with. Especially with the war on terrorism?

But there are other areas to explore. I have a great fondness (interest) in the pacific mainly. I love to explore the islands out there. And explore the islands where the old "World War 2" battles took place. History is one of my favorite subjects of mine! Call it a hobby?

Well, I'm glad that you're so far enjoying this forum. There are alot of seasoned sailors here. And you could learn alot here! So I am happy, that you are happy, Carena.

Anchors Aweigh!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 21:50   #5

Carena,where in Namibia are you from?I have seen a lot of cultural shows of Namibia and find the place very interesting.I love learning about other cultures and other people's perspectives on life .Anyway welcom,and have a great time learning.Mudnut.
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2006, 22:26   #6

Boat: Viking 33 Tanzer 8.5m Tanzer 22
Bay of Islands

Carena, just wanted to let you know that even though my current address is Kelowna BC I am very familiar with the Bay of Islands. I was there as a boat man for the NZ spear fishing champoinships in 81. I was there fishing in about 1955. I have been to the old whaling stations nearby, spent time in the local pubs, camped nearby etc. etc. My brother claims the best hamburgers in the world are made near Pihia. I have also belonged to the Tutukaka South Pacific Yacht Club. Even played against Whangerei while playing for Auckland.
Michael
BC Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 18:34   #7

Sorry for not answering sooner.

I was born in Swakopmund. This is one of the best beaches that I know of. It is a beautiful small town that becomes the centre of the country during the summer season. That is December, January. They come from South Africa all over to enjoy the wonderful weather in Namibia at that time and the greatest fishing areas that you can get. The water is cold though. I like warm water.

If you enjoy the sun and good weather. Namibia is definitely the place to be. The weather forecast is always the same!! "The sun will be shining tomorrow" lolol

I lived in Windhoek which is in the Centre of the country.

I hope I will meet some people here in NZ that will be so kind and help me along in my sailing. I have no family here except my kids.

It is always nice to get to know new people. As I said this sailing thing is very new to me. I grew up camping every year at the beach and my dad made me fish every day untill I hated it. I know everything about fishing and cleaning fish, cooking fish etc. I eat all seafood as well.

Cheers

Carena
Old 10-03-2006, 02:46   #8

Namibia

Swakopmund,yep thats the capitol of Namibia,but Windhoek sounds like somthing nice to drink in the warm sun!!Most of what I've seen of Namibia was inland too the villages and tribespeople.Cities are modern and real culture lies outside of these concrete jungles.Even here in OZ our culture is thousands of yrs older than Captain Cook and his cronies,even thou I am white and have ancestors on the first fleet our "White culture",is very laughable.Indigenious cultures are what I crave to learn about.My first blue water adventures are going to be to the Torres straits Islands and east Islands of Papua New Guinea,mainly because they are closer to my home and dearer to my heart.P.S I did see the advert for your friends boat.Very impressive,most yacht brokers dont include so much.You seem to know more about boats than you let on..
mudnut is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
New Zealand