Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2014, 15:39   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: Interested in Catamaran Cruiser Build Plans

You mention that your wife is a disabled veteran.

This may be the biggest advantage to building yourself as the boat can be built with her disabilities in mind.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 19:24   #17

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Thank your wife for her service for me. I retired just after that one.
I don't have your skills so my advice won't be of much value to you but I'll just state that now is a buyers market. You'll spend more time and money on building.
Old 31-08-2014, 02:30   #18
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

I'm a carpenter and joiner as well and had a similar plan. Helped friend build a 40' glass mono, decided to work with a boatbuilder to get more experience, studied the plans for 40' cats. I realised after 2 years building high tech ocean racing yachts that although the work can be enjoyable it can also be dirty, dusty, unhealthy and slow. We had a team of 10 or more guys building one off 50-60' yachts and they would take around a year to build. Also being one off, a lot of things we're learn as you go and probably not built as ell as production boats that have had a lot of the issues sorted out.
After 2 years I decided I didn't want to spend the next 4 years building a cat full time with my breath smelling like resin every night after work and decided I'd be better using my existing skills to work as a builder and save the money for an already built boat. Although being a carpenter is handy for a lot of the process, it doesn't help for 90% which is engineering, electrical, plumbing, metalwork, rigging, sails, etc etc.
I would also doubt that much saving could be made from buying a new boat if you take your hourly rate into consideration.
We have since bought a new 40' production cat and I'm confident we made the right chooses for us. When I see home built boats, or even one off professionally built, they look and feel unfinished to me. Storage tends to be simple shelving with curtains or mismatched doors, too much internal fibreglass finishes flow coated white, lack of curves etc.
if you still want to go the DIY route, I'd suggest you go with one of the laser cut flat panel kits to at least save on some of the initial time. The only benifit I would find from building myself would be the satisfaction of building it as well as the possibility to have a lighter construction, but they come at a cost. Personally I'd rather spend the next 4 years sailing than covered in resin and dust...
monte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catamaran, cruise, cruiser