Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2008, 21:22   #1

I Bid you Hello from the Beautiful Kentucky Lake Area

Wife and I just retired and moved to Western Kentucky on the shores of Lake Barkley. We are both interested in Sailing and looking for our first sail boat. There are numerous Marinas in the Kentucky and Barkley lake area and we are checking them all out. We are both in our late 50's and came to sailing late in life but fell in love with the life style. We plan to do mostly lake sailing as there are numerous lakes with a three hour drive but our ultimate goal is to sail down the Mississippi into the gulf, then to the Keys and on to Bahamas, with no time limit. Just found your site and have been reading the wealth of information contained herein.

Allan
KYLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 12:07   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Allan,
Welcome aboard!! I've seen your lakes on the map but not up close and personal. My late aunt was from Owensboro and part of my wife's family lives in Lexington. We'll probably be spending some time there in the fall.
Hope you can find the right boat. Do you want a trailer sailor?
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 17:15   #3

Lexington is pretty far away but Owensboro is just a couple hrs from here. Nice area and great lakes around here. Yes I am looking for a trailer sailer as you say Something with a small engine or will take a small kicker O/B. And something that I (we) can hone our sailing skills on.

Nice to meet you John,

Allan
KYLakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2008, 19:07   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Allan,
I'm familiar with Catalina 22s as a trailerable and West Wight Potter 19s. Both take up to about 8hp outboards for power. They have small cabins for weekending. Each are well built and have all the systems that much larger boats have except for big inboard engines and electronics. I would recommend either but the WWP 19 is hard to find. They are both good to learn on.
Let us know what you are looking at and most here on the forum can offer an opinion.
Good luck in your search.
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2008, 13:17   #5

Boat: catalina
Send a message via AIM to jokers819
Quote:
Originally Posted by KYLakes View Post
Wife and I just retired and moved to Western Kentucky on the shores of Lake Barkley. We are both interested in Sailing and looking for our first sail boat. There are numerous Marinas in the Kentucky and Barkley lake area and we are checking them all out. We are both in our late 50's and came to sailing late in life but fell in love with the life style. We plan to do mostly lake sailing as there are numerous lakes with a three hour drive but our ultimate goal is to sail down the Mississippi into the gulf, then to the Keys and on to Bahamas, with no time limit. Just found your site and have been reading the wealth of information contained herein.

Allan
dear allen ,good to have you aboard good luck with your boat search