Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2008, 14:44   #1

Boat: X-Yachts IMX-38
Hi There . . New Zealand Info

Hi there... My name is Ruud Kapteijn. I live in the Netherlands. I own and sail a X-Yachts IMX-38 'Mango'.

With my family (wife, son and daugther) I'd like to spent the northern hemishere winter of 2009/2010 (6 months) sailing around New Zealand.

I am exploring ways to get a yacht for this period in New Zealand. I've been looking at options to ship my own yacht over but this seems quite expensive (Sevenstar: EUR 20K one way).

Other options would be a buy/sell a boat or rent a boat. Maybe a boat exchange would be possible.

Would this forum offer possibilities to exchange thoughts with sailors, who have done something similar? Where can i best go?

KR, Ruud Kapteijn.
rkapteyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2008, 17:51   #2

Boat: Beneteau 473
Hello Ruud, Welcome
I spend a lot of time in the Netherlands because of my job. In fact I'll be in Amsterdam this sunday.

I normally spend a week or two each year in Zeeland or Den Helder and Texel.

Good luck with the search for a boat in NZ.
SilentOption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2008, 20:26   #3

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Rudd,
Welcome aboard! There are many forum members with boats in New Zealand so I hope they respond.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2008, 10:12   #4

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Welcome also Ruud,

I'm currently only just over in the UK so can't help with the NZ exchange - but I'd be interested to learn if you are successful.
I too would love to spend some time around Vancouver Island and if anyone out that way wants to cosider a vacation trade with our Hanse 461 currently in Solent, UK - love to hear from anyone interested.
JOHN
Old 14-10-2008, 23:22   #5
Marine Service Provider

G'day Ruud. I'm sitting in NZ right now.
Just having a quick think and I can't think of any boat swap place as such. I do know of a few people who have privately arranged swaps with people in other countries. One of those 'I'll lend you mine for XX weeks and then I'll use yours' sort of thing.

I'll ask around tomorrow and see what I can find out for you.

There are plenty of places to rent boats though. There are the usual bigger names like Moorings and so on but there are also many of smaller places who are probably more than willing to do longer term deals. I'll have a look at those for you as well.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2008, 21:18   #6

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
At the risk of offending someone, try here:

Crew.org.nz
dana-tenacity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 13:30   #7

Boat: X-Yachts IMX-38
Hey y'all,

Thanks for your advice so far. I have gathered information from a few of the larger charter operators like Moorings, Hideaway holidays and CharterWorld.com. Of course they all offer sailing yachts in the area but they are constraint to specific areas like the Vava'u group of islands, Hauraki Bay or Bay of Islands. These companies do not offer yachts which can be taken around New Zealand or from New Zealand to Tonga and vica versa.

I am now trying to locate a smaller charter operator, who does not impose these kind of restrictions. I am looking for a racey yacht of 35ft-40ft equipped to sail offshore shorthanded.

I am not looking for a free ride. I have a decent budget to rent the boat for six months from October 2006 until April 2010.

Any suggestions are welcome!
rkapteyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2008, 21:44   #8
Marine Service Provider

Try Rob at CharterLink Yacht Charters : Bareboat Yacht Charters in New Zealand, Auckland Yacht Charters, New Zealand Yacht Charters

They are a smaller outfit with quite a few assorted boats based mainly in Auckland but I know a few have gone up to the Pac Islands and back so there is a chance an around NZ or longer distance could be do able. I know they say they have a limit but it couldn't hurt to ask. Rob is a good bloke and straight up so maybe able to suggest an alternative if he can't help.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2010, 05:08   #9

You could try www.charterguide.co.nz, which is a collection of private owners who charter thier boats. There are very tight restrictions on chartering boats in NZ which set standards for the boats and restrict the cruising limits. You can usually cruise from Auckland to Bay of islands and back but the other areas are limited to those cruising grounds. Tonga ia well worth a sialing visit even if you have to hire from Mooring. I have sailed there 6 times and just love it. No one really sails Tonga/New Zealand for fun though. Its a hard slog with nothing between you and South Africa or you and South America at times. I can't imagine anyone renting you a private yacht for that trip.

Particularly if you have kids I would recommend chartering a yacht in Tonga, Whitsundays in Australia and Hauraki /bay of islands. I recommend Fairwinds in the Bay of Islands. Perhaps combine that with a campervan tour of NZ.

The whitsundays are really lovely, beautiful anchorages and great snorkelling. I am going there in 10 days time.
Murihiku is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
New Zealand, renting