Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2008, 10:55   #1

Boat: D5 Pram, homemade, 7', "Matins"
Send a message via Yahoo to DavidHeady
Hi everyone!

Hi,
I'm David and I've just completed building a D5 Pram Dinghy. I've taken her out on two 'shakedown' runs so far, but have yet to get her under sail. As a first time sailor I'm in total learning mode. In two shakedown runs so far I've snapped a reinforcing plate off the transom as I ran aground the launch ramp, ripped an oar lock base out of its mount, found out that bungi cords do not float, and generally honed some design features. In the process I've replaced all the really nice half inch bronze screws with more substantial brass screws, added different oar locks (those horned ones are for pros I think), redesigned the transom reinforcement (bolted it on this time), and rigged the sail with pulleys and a friction cleat. I'm going out on a small lake with my sail maker on Monday. He's had a lot of experience with PD racers and is going to teach me a bit about sailing. I'm rather excited about learning and hope to finally get to launch. Any hints or advice on said topic would be most welcome and appreciated. Oh yeah, I've rigged her with a sprit rig. Looking forward to chatting with y'all soon. Thanks for the welcome.

David
DavidHeady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 11:08   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Welcome aboard David!

Isn't it a nice feeling having built you own? Looks like your going through the process of getting the bugs out of the system and learning a few things as well.

The only hint I have is to keep sailing her. The more you do, the more you learn.

I see your avatar. Do you have some larger pics?

Have fun with your boat!

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2008, 14:43   #3

Boat: D5 Pram, homemade, 7', "Matins"
Send a message via Yahoo to DavidHeady
Thanks

Thanks David,
I intend on persisting in my efforts. As for a larger picture of the boat, I've tried to attach some to this missive. Not sure how it will work. My email is dheady@mac.com if you care to drop me note I'll provide some. Well, just got the invalid post message so I guess it didn't work. On a design note, I plan on carrying passengers...grandson, granddaughter, niece, et al. And I wanted the middle seat to be cleared of any obstruction, so, I moved the daggerboard box forward and set it under a 'tongue' extension of the seat top. I was advised that doing this would require the dagger board and box to be raked at a backward angle in order to put it in line with the center of push on the sail. I did exactly that and she looks good. My sailmaker said I will have a 'weather hull' because of that. I'm looking forward to seeing how that functions.
I was a trim carpenter as a young man and have kept my skills up on that as a hobby. I was warned by all that building a boat isn't carpentry and after having done this one I do sort of agree. Compound curves, epoxy, wood flour, FG tape are not carpentry skills. However, my sailmaker, after seeing the boat praised the carpentry skills I was able to bring to bear. Well, back to the salt mines. If you ever care to chat, I'm 'timebandit1949' on Yahoo IM. Thanks for the comments again.
David
DavidHeady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 16:49   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha David,
Welcome aboard! Good to have you here. I'm going to do a search for sprit and see if the photos I shared with others are still there. Will try to attach some.
kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 17:01   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Hope this works

This is my homebuilt 12 footer (13.5 with bowsprit). fun sailer. I've since converted it to sloop and use Flying Junior sails. With that it is always on the verge of capsize unless I have a crew to help ballast.

JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote