Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2008, 19:45   #1

Boat: S/V Paseo -- A dream for now.
Send a message via Skype™ to Dr. Moreau
Hello from the Bay Area

Hello all.

I have been lurking here for the past few weeks, reading as much as I can read about all topics regarding sailing. Everyone here seems really friendly and I hope to meet everyone at the SF Bay Rendezvous in July.

About us...

My fiance and I were planning on moving to Europe or Australia when we fell onto a posting on the Internet about a man who sailed around the world with his brother. We both thought sailing around the world was for millionaires, but after some extensive research on the Internet and in paperback we realize everyone can cruise. Then we decided since we are still in our twenties (me, barely.. t-minus 10 months till my thirties), now is as good as any other time.

We signed up for US Sailing training at OCSC in Berkeley and plan on taking all of the certification courses between now and mid-2009. When we are not attending class, we will be sailing on OPB (other people's boats) as much as possible. We will be training on smaller 20ish foot boats this summer and by this Winter moving up the mid-30 foot boats. Over Christmas we are trying to find a nice place to bareboat charter a ship for the entire week and cruise around.

We are getting married in August and decided to forgo those material things like new blenders, china, and place settings. We are asking for certificates to OCSC and cash to help us get our sailing adventure underway. Hopefully this will be a nice padding to our cruise kitty.

We are putting together a aggressive schedule to leave in May 2010, cruise along down to the Galapagos and eventually through the many islands of the Pacific. After Australia & NZ, we will head through the Indian Ocean, along South Africa and up to the Caribbean. Then a short jaunt through the Panama Canal, and we will return to Seattle our 'real' home (don't get me wrong, we love the Bay Area, but Seattle is where we are both from and both love it).

I hope that after we gain some more practical knowledge from classes and can be more of use, that we can sneak ourselves onto your boat for a day or weekend and help out. If you have circumnavigated around the world, we would love to buy you a bottle of wine and hear your tails. Drop me a PM, the offer is always valid.

We both look forward to meeting everyone and seeing you on the open seas in 2010.

Aaron & Jen

PS: In truly geek form, I am blogging about our adventure. Keep your eyes on our blog to see our progress.

https://sailing.moreau.us/
Dr. Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2008, 23:37   #2
GreatKetch

Doc,

As an instructor at OCSC, I an assure you you have chosen the right place to get your lessons. Unlike most sailing schools which "hire anyone and pass anyone" you will be challenged and when you pass and are certified you will know you know the material.

Great plan and great time to do it in your life.

Bill
Old 10-05-2008, 06:04   #3

Boat: Sceptre 41
Welcome aboard Doc M:

I second Great Ketch's opinion of OCSC. I know a few people who have been taught to sail there and I can say that they do a nice job. From a different perspective I used to have a boat in the program and they do a very nice job of keeping the boat in good condition and safe.

Lots of great info on this forum and good luck with your goal of setting off. I'll see you at the rendevous. I am in leaving on Monday to bring my boat down from Astoria OR to SF. http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...-sf-15096.html I don't think there is a better place to cruise then the PNW. Spent a year there and thought it was great.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2008, 20:53   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Aaron and Jen,
Welcome aboard! Great goals and quite a dream. Let us know how it goes.
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote