Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2012, 08:17   #31

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.
Re: Hello from Panama

..this is getting "curiouser and curiouser"...to quote Alice
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 10:04   #32

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by baslovesailing View Post
@simonv: thankyou, hope I won't need luck though.
@david: well I wouldn't want anyone else having to go through this, if writing about my experience can prevent any similar happenings in the future, that'd be great.
@deckofficer: once I'm in Honduras I'll write it, might be a 3rd world country but I'll be with 1st class people. Don't really get the actor joke, a few years ago I decided to sell my TV and never watch again. Atoll has been very helpful as well though.
Bas,

It was a movie, not TV, called "Captain Ron". I kid atoll about it constantly because his avatar and way of life has many similarities with Captain Ron. Alex knows boats, paperwork for boats and cruising, and what seems every earthy cruising hole to be found on the planet. The perfect walking wiki cruiser, from years and 100,000's nm under his calloused feet. Good thing you hooked up with him. I would assume you might be nursing a broken heart, anxiety on getting checked in and out properly, and a host of other things to clutter your mind, but rest assured, things will work out. We are all a product of our experiences, good, bad, and indifferent, and 10 years down the road you will have a good story to tell at future cruiser gatherings. The stories of my fellow cruisers are always better than those of my non-cruising friends.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2012, 20:36   #33
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

latest check in info for checking in panama quoted from the noonsite.com

On 6 March 2012, Ronaldo Menoza Tapia – Regional Manager of Immigration service in Colon - sent a circular requesting a tightening up of the visa process, whereby when boats arrive in Panama they are stamped into the country, and then have 3 days (72 hrs) to obtain a visa in one of the main ports.

In order to obtain a visa in one of the mainland clearance ports, skippers must provide:

1.Responsibility letter from the yacht owner/skiper (or the agent) stating that he/she will be responsible for the boat whilst in Panama.
2.Crew list stamped by the immigration officer at the port of entry.
3.Boat registration document and copy.
4.Copies of all crew passports and the page showing the entry Immigration stamp.
5.Copy of the Panama cruising permit.
6.Copy of the Panama Autoridad Maritima port captain check-in form
7.2 passport photos for each crew member
Incredibly, visas will now cost yacht crew $105.00 each, $100 for the visa and $5 for the stamp!

The same fee applies if you arrive by plane but leave on board a boat. If you arrive by boat and leave the country by plane there's nothing to pay, however you must get the entry stamp from immigration first. Once you have the stamp you are permitted a 3 day stay before getting a visa. If you stay longer than 3 days in Panama before flying out and don't get a visa you will likely be stopped by Immigration at the airport and lose your flight.

Immigration claim that this charge has been has been on the books since 2008 when it was made Law, however the rules have been disregarded up until now. Oddly crew on commercial ships do not require a visa, and individuals arriving by plane still only have to pay the $15 tourist card charge.

It should be noted that in Panama, each Immigration office handles matters their own way and whilst Panama Immigration seem to be trying to make the rules more consistent, the Colon office in particular is well known for being somewhat more "difficult" than other places.

Noonsite has heard from a number of yachts who have contacted agents in advance of transit and have been quoted these new immigration fees. However, it seems not all yachts have actually been required to pay the mentioned high visa fee.

We would be very interested to hear from cruisers who have cleared into Panama on the mainland with details of the clearance port they used and the visa fees charged. Contact noonsite@noonsite.com.

Our thanks to Erick of Centenario & Co. and Karsten Staffeldt for bringing this news to noonsite’s attention and assisting with further details.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 09:07   #34

I think Laura is transiting the canal today. Hope Bas got to where he wants to go.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:19   #35
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Hello from Panama

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
latest check in info for checking in panama quoted from the noonsite.com

On 6 March 2012, Ronaldo Menoza Tapia – Regional Manager of Immigration service in Colon - sent a circular requesting a tightening up of the visa process, whereby when boats arrive in Panama they are stamped into the country, and then have 3 days (72 hrs) to obtain a visa in one of the main ports.

In order to obtain a visa in one of the mainland clearance ports, skippers must provide:

1.Responsibility letter from the yacht owner/skiper (or the agent) stating that he/she will be responsible for the boat whilst in Panama.
2.Crew list stamped by the immigration officer at the port of entry.
3.Boat registration document and copy.
4.Copies of all crew passports and the page showing the entry Immigration stamp.
5.Copy of the Panama cruising permit.
6.Copy of the Panama Autoridad Maritima port captain check-in form
7.2 passport photos for each crew member
Incredibly, visas will now cost yacht crew $105.00 each, $100 for the visa and $5 for the stamp!

The same fee applies if you arrive by plane but leave on board a boat. If you arrive by boat and leave the country by plane there's nothing to pay, however you must get the entry stamp from immigration first. Once you have the stamp you are permitted a 3 day stay before getting a visa. If you stay longer than 3 days in Panama before flying out and don't get a visa you will likely be stopped by Immigration at the airport and lose your flight.

Immigration claim that this charge has been has been on the books since 2008 when it was made Law, however the rules have been disregarded up until now. Oddly crew on commercial ships do not require a visa, and individuals arriving by plane still only have to pay the $15 tourist card charge.

It should be noted that in Panama, each Immigration office handles matters their own way and whilst Panama Immigration seem to be trying to make the rules more consistent, the Colon office in particular is well known for being somewhat more "difficult" than other places.

Noonsite has heard from a number of yachts who have contacted agents in advance of transit and have been quoted these new immigration fees. However, it seems not all yachts have actually been required to pay the mentioned high visa fee.

We would be very interested to hear from cruisers who have cleared into Panama on the mainland with details of the clearance port they used and the visa fees charged. Contact noonsite@noonsite.com.

Our thanks to Erick of Centenario & Co. and Karsten Staffeldt for bringing this news to noonsite’s attention and assisting with further details.
Erick's a good man... he handled my entry and transit right down to the linehandlers...
I'll happily recommend him any day...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 14:31   #36

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here.
kind regards,
Old 26-05-2012, 15:05   #37

I think Bas got a ride out of Panama, but haven't heard from him in weeks. Bas, if your out there, how about updating us on your journey?
Old 26-05-2012, 15:45   #38
Eternal Member

Boat: CS36T, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
I think Bas got a ride out of Panama, but haven't heard from him in weeks. Bas, if your out there, how about updating us on your journey?
Bas line handled to the Pacific side, and is still there. He will fly out the 28th.

"Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana." -Groucho Marx
flysci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2012, 15:51   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by flysci View Post
Bas line handled to the Pacific side, and is still there. He will fly out the 28th.
Thanks Margo. Did you like the young man?
Old 01-06-2012, 06:01   #40

Hi Blas, you certainly have a lot of interest.
Google us at Yacht Latina and keep an eye open. From time to time we need extra hands.
CaptPhilMorris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Panama