Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-08-2013, 07:40   #16

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Hello from Indiana - need help on boat selection...

Didn't mean you should change your mind about the one you've seen; just meant it as a heads-up... and if you think you might want to move up eventually, you don't need to spend an arm and a leg on your starter boat.

That said (and I'm not as familiar with the market in that size range) other brands maybe with cuddy cabins at that size might include Sea Ray (also a Brunswick company), Maxum, Four Winns, Regal, Cruisers, Rinker... probably some others... but all maybe or maybe not better for your purposes, anyway.

Hmmm... a thought: Just for comparison, you might see if you can find a Sea Ray Sundancer model, if they make one in the 22-24' range. (Not sure they do.) That design has a cabin, slightly bigger than what you'd call a cuddy, and is also has a mid-ship berth underneath the helm (bridge deck). That design is generally popular in "express" boats around here, several of those other brands make something similar, and if they have something small enough (affordable enough) that might offer you slightly more flexibility.

But a Bayliner cuddy in good shape that you can afford -- bird in the hand, so to speak -- can also be a fast, easy solution!

Did you go round Geist and Eagle Creek to see what folks are using there?

-Chris
Old 17-08-2013, 08:57   #17

Bayliners are starter boats but nothing wrong with them as a first boat. My inlaws have one, a 19' cuddy runabout they have had for about 20 years with the usual mx issues. With kids and wife you will like the cuddy. i usually love ours. We try to avoid storms but we've hidden out in there many times. The biggest problem for me with a cuddy is I have a bad habit of cluttering it up with stuff!

i agree to check online prior to any purchase to see what others have problems with so u can look at this particular boat in a more informed way. But then I don't buy anything anymore without checking online for known problems, but that may just be me. Good luck and have fun!
Live4boating is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2013, 05:40   #18

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Hello from Indiana - need help on boat selection...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
That said (and I'm not as familiar with the market in that size range) other brands maybe with cuddy cabins at that size might include Sea Ray (also a Brunswick company), Maxum, Four Winns, Regal, Cruisers, Rinker... probably some others... but all maybe or maybe not better for your purposes, anyway.

Hmmm... a thought: Just for comparison, you might see if you can find a Sea Ray Sundancer model, if they make one in the 22-24' range. (Not sure they do.) That design has a cabin, slightly bigger than what you'd call a cuddy, and is also has a mid-ship berth underneath the helm (bridge deck). That design is generally popular in "express" boats around here, several of those other brands make something similar, and if they have something small enough (affordable enough) that might offer you slightly more flexibility.

Jason, I was just re-reading this... wanted to be clear none of this is meant as a recommendation to choose one of those other brands/models over what you've found already. I just meant to offer ideas for comparison, so you have a broad view of the market for your decision-making.

-Chris

Tags
India