Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-12-2011, 08:59   #1

Boat: Maine Cat 30
Hello From CT

Hello all I'm Jeff, my fiance Pam and I just purchased a Maine Cat 30 that's down in the keys. We are looking forward to bringing up the east coast as what will become our first major trip. I've been sailing for years, her not so much... Maybe I can convince her to take detour to the Bahamas!. If anyone is planning to head north before June this year, let me know, we would love to meet some real cruisers out on the water! We are planning a short trip from the keys to Cape Canaveral area from Jan 7 - 18th, so if your in the area let us know!
JRMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 09:24   #2

Boat: 2017 Leopard 40
Re: Hello From CT

Welcome to the board Jeff. Just a few thoughts to consider with regard to your post:
- If the weather doesn't cooperate, ditch the schedule and stop to smell the roses. Also, make sure you train her as crew in boat operation and explain yourself (and options you're considering based on navigation/weather input) so she feels a part of your planing and decision process. If she feels like she can take over in emergency she will have less fear when the weather turns crappy and she will feel more empowered. Also, don't yell -- agree on hand signals and explain/teach your intentions as much as possible in advance of maneuvers. Over time the two of you will learn to operate the boat like clockwork as a team, and will develop your specialized roles when something needs to be done. Encourage her to use the helm when approaching docks and moorings, too. It will build confidence and enjoyment for her.
- if planning to go to the Bahamas, don't head up past Miami-Ft. Lauderdale area. Otherwise you'll need to do a lot of back-tracking.
- this board isn't the place to meet real cruisers. They're out cruising, and you'll meet them in anchorages as you go. Most "real cruisers" tend to avoid marinas except when they need services. Many of them will post here though, and you can exchange ideas with them.
SailFastTri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 09:35   #3

Thanks SailFast! I agree with all your points. The good thing is that I'm bringing a few friends as crew. She's sailed with me for a bunch of overnights on our Stiletto 27, so the MC 30 is going to feel like a castle in comparison! Chances are we wont get out to the Bahamas this year, at least not on the MC30. My plan is to have the boat readily available near Titusville because I work in Orlando frequently, and if it comes down to it any we don't make it before the 18th, we have no set schedule, so we can stay the extra days. Currently I'm planning to be in marina's at least half the trip, and anchor out the other half, alternating.
Old 26-12-2011, 09:52   #4

Boat: Fountaine Pajot Mahe 36'

Hello Jeff. I just took our 33' Hunter from VA to Cocoa beach. Since you frequently work Orlando look in to leaving your boat at Cocoa village marina. I just left the boat there and came back home for couple of weeks. You can get a shuttle from airport to the marina for $33 one way and downtown is just a couple of blocks from marina. See you on the water.
lodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 10:25   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
kind regards,
Old 26-12-2011, 11:15   #6

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Hello Jeff and Pam and welcome to the CF

MC 30 is a sweet ride.
What marina will you be in when you are back up in Connecticut?
We cruise all of Long Island Sound from the Statue of Liberty to Nantucket.

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2011, 11:47   #7

Hey Mark!, We had previously had our boats over at Three Belles Marina in Niantic, and before that the New Haven Yacht Club. We are getting married at Mystic Seaport and I love the area. If we can find reasonable pricing, I'd love to get it into the Mystic River area.
Old 26-12-2011, 11:51   #8

Thanks Lodos, I'll check it out. I have reserved a spot at the Kennedy Point Yacht Club, which is kind of out there and a "minimalistic" marina, but its really reasonably priced. See you out there!
Old 26-12-2011, 12:23   #9

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Jeff,

Try Spicers marina.
www.spicersmarina.com

We have been there for ten years and love it. SeaHorse Restaurant ride on the premises. They have both docks and moorings.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2011, 12:14   #10

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman

G'Day Jeff and welcome to the forum.
Congratulation on the new boat, and good luck in getting it up the coast on your maiden trip.
Keep us all posted on how you go - enjoy!
Cheers
JOHN