Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2011, 01:13   #1

Boat: want a leopard owners version
Hello from Australia

Hi everyone
My name is Gayleeann . I am new on this site, dont know much about sailing but want to learn. Plan on buying a seawind 1160 cat and learn to sail. Is there a site that tells you how much people paid 2 nd hand for a boat , like a property sold price example IP data for realestate.?? Any advice would be great on learning to sail, sail schools, things to be worried about ect... thanks so much for reading
Gayleeann
Gayleeann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:23   #2
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: Hello from Australia

Hi Gayleeann,

Not sure about Australia, but in most places you'd pop down to your local sailing club and see what's on offer there. Many clubs race, and it's usually class racing - so by checking out what the local club uses, you'll at least have the right boat for the fleet! The club will tell you what price boats fetch in the locality - prices vary from region to region. And if you buy a boat from within the club, you know it'll have a home!!

But don't be too hasty - you might want to crew for others before buying your own boat...
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:27   #3
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Whoa - hang on. I saw "cat to learn on" and assumed you meant beachcat.

Now, having watched a video about a seawind 1160 cat, I take all that back. ARe you sure you want to buy one of these to learn on?? Apparently they're just a bit expensive......
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:58   #4

Thanks for your help and yes want to learn on something safe lol and will most likely have a crew help me for a while, there are heaps of people that have experence but dont have a boat and would love to teach me ( I hope anyway ) ha ha
Old 02-04-2011, 03:46   #5

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Welcome Aboard and hope you enjoy CF Gayleeann..
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:33   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Corbin 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayleeann View Post
Thanks for your help and yes want to learn on something safe lol and will most likely have a crew help me for a while, there are heaps of people that have experence but dont have a boat and would love to teach me ( I hope anyway ) ha ha
Hi Gayleeann,
Ive only just started sailing myself and have just completed my 1st sailing course that saw me recieve my Competent Crew certificate! Safety is very important when you are at sea, there is no better way of learning all you need to know from qualified instuctors, why not look up your local RYA schools and find one to learn with! Good luck!!
pablothesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 04:38   #7

Yes thank you I been thinking about the Sydney classes they have , sound really good. And yes safety is the most important thing. ONLY HAVE ONE LIFE / LONG TIME DEAD
Cheers
Gayleeann
Old 10-04-2011, 21:14   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. Make certain you helpful instructors are also safety conscious.
kind regards,
Old 10-04-2011, 21:29   #9

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gayleeann View Post
Hi everyone
My name is Gayleeann . I am new on this site, dont know much about sailing but want to learn. Plan on buying a seawind 1160 cat and learn to sail. Is there a site that tells you how much people paid 2 nd hand for a boat , like a property sold price example IP data for realestate.?? Any advice would be great on learning to sail, sail schools, things to be worried about ect... thanks so much for reading
Gayleeann
Welcome to CF Gayleeann

You don't have to come all the way to Sydney, there's a sailing school at Half Moon Bay Marina in Cairns, a fabulous female instructor at Yeppoon who trades as "Cruisability" and Sunsail do courses at Hamilton Id, plus many more. Of course, if you've got money to burn, come to Sydney.

Greg
Sabbatical II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2011, 22:18   #10

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

Welcome aboard. Sounds like you have a plan. Good luck.
Old 12-04-2011, 20:29   #11

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Welcome to CF, Gayleeann... you are living in one of the best spots in the world to learn sailing. As well as the other suggestions you have rec'd, you might also check out some of the local charter or delivery companies who are always looking for crew, particularly at the last minute. When I was in the delivery business on the west coast of the Americas, I preferred at least one green crew member on a passage because they were so eager to learn and didn't have to unlearn any bad habits. It will give you some great experience on different types of vessels before taking the plunge and investing big $... good luck! I'm sure will enjoy the adventure... cheers, Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2011, 15:56   #12

Boat: Hallberg Rassy HR39

Hi Gayleen. I'm now living aboard and sailing up the east coast of Australia in our 39foot sloop. Prior to living aboard I did the RYA's competent crew course, chartered a 34 footer in Townsville for a week, and joined a local Melbourne racing crew to build my skills on trimming, etc. Our boat was bought two years ago and we've travelled twice around Tasmania in it prior to selling our life and moving full time aboard. I learn new things every day, and I'm becoming more confident as I go along. Good luck!
Sollars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-04-2011, 03:28   #13

Yes it will take years to learn everything. I am thinking about selling my propertys and living full time on the water. Big life change for me . I do have a mate that will come with help me so I can learn the ropes so to speek.
So tell me whats the best time of year to sail and check out areas around Tasmania ? So be nice ,will remind me of my home Canada in the summer . I have always looked forward to getting down there.
Thanks for your coment
Gayleeann
Old 20-04-2011, 13:51   #14

Boat: Hallberg Rassy HR39

We sailed around Tassie between December to February and I understand March is a good time too. The weather reports from the coastal stations were spot-on and regularly reported, although the south west coast has limited information and limited places to stay along the west coast. I think it would be pretty cold and windy down there in winter, hence the yachties head up to Queensland.
Sollars is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Australia