Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2011, 09:14   #1

Boat: Westerly Centaur. 26'
Send a message via Skype™ to familycruisers
Hello Everyone !

Well, we are family of 6, but with one son @ 19 and starting his life on his own and the other boy being 16 will be moving on in 2 years as well. That leaves us with the girls. They are 3 and 3 months. My wife and I both love boating, albeit most of the boating we have done together has been power. I grew up sailing on the Chesie, and owned from sunfish, to Lightning, to a 26' NordCorp I picked up for 500 in storage.
Looking in the 35-40 foot range, which I'm stoked about cause it will be the largest boat I've piloted! We are looking at casting off the fall of 2013.
Can't wait to start spending some full-time time with our daughters! You really get a different perspective starting over like we did. Kids grow up way to quick, and I'm enjoying every moment this time round!!! Hence how this idea even came up. After we leave here, no more marinas, unless its to restock or replenish. Off the hook, hmmmmmm a slang term that works both ways!!lol
We will be renting our house as opposed to selling it. Fortunately we bought our house 12 yrs ago, and don't owe much on it. Should be able to rent it for double our payment on it. Ok, I know renters suck, tear your stuff up, and basically don't give a damn. Do there worst, after they are out give me a week, it will look new again. Since I'm in the trade I have friends to help for service calls, and we are still thinking of summering up here so if need be large repairs I can take care of then.
The boats I'm looking at don't have refrigeration yet or it has an ice box and a seperate frig(useless to me) I do hvac/r and am building a custom system, with low wattage compressors for a ton of refrigeration w/freezer, and dehumidification if needed on those stickiest of nights. Will work for AC in the main salon, but realistically only if tied to shore power or running the genny. Speaking of power concerns. I'm looking at 2 - 235 w solar panels and an 800 w wind gen for power. I happen to fly high powered electrical Align RC helicopters so I already have a Honda eu2000i to charge them. (damn nice genny with low fuel consumption). Of course what we will be able to run will depend on the sun and wind, or if we want to burn fuel, but hey, compromises! Lol. A Sprint smart phone is also in the yearly budget, rooted and tethered. (thank god for Sprints unlimited data.)
Watermaker, boy are they costly. 3 grand for a unit that barely makes any water, to 5 -6 grand for a decent output unit. I'm making my own . Putting 2 grand into a unit that will work with the diesel and output about 60-80 gal/hrs. Even with my wifes wateraholic personality, I should get away with having to run the engine twice a week for roughly an hour. Good for the engine anyway.
So lots of food, lots of water, and enough renewable forms of energy to keep things going, within reason.
So that's the plan.

Finally, hello everyone and I've already benefitted from the info here by finding a good source for ro membranes and high pressure vessels! So thanks already! ;-)
familycruisers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 09:24   #2

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'
Re: Hello everyone!!

Welcome Aboard Cruisers Forum
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 20:38   #3

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Hello Everyone !

Welcome aboard, sounds like you have it all planned out .
Happy adventures,
Erika
Old 26-08-2011, 06:21   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, familycruisers.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 11:42   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Sounds like some fun plans. Let us know how its going.
kind regards,
Old 11-09-2011, 13:35   #6
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Use salt water for washing, and fresh for rinsing. Somethings can be cooked in saltwater too. Foot pumps make a huge difference in the amount of water used too. A water catchment system will drastically change your life in a good way.

Our watermaker died, so I had canvas made, and added thruhulls to my bimini for catching water. We practicallly waste water now, but then it depends on where you will be......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 13:37   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE

Oh yes, and any shade awning should have a thruhull in it for catching water. Just push on a hose, or make snap fitting......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote