Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2014, 08:40   #691

Boat: Formerly MacGregor Venture 22, now a landlubber
Re: Guns on a Boat, Yes or No?

If you have a vessel big enough to carry guns, then, by all means, I would. I'd go for the 16"/45cal Mark 6 if you have enough ship, best choice out there. You can really reach out and put a hurtin' on pirates or anything you like, really.
Old 26-10-2014, 09:28   #692

Boat: Cape Dory 25

So....
You people see lots of pirates huh?
Maybe they are attracted to guns or something, that could explain things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	images.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	4.4 KB
ID:	90376  
Old 26-10-2014, 11:27   #693
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

I'd have to ask the chef, but AFAIK turtles make good soup, while tortoises simply aren't stocked in the larder, much less seen on the menu. I wonder why?
Old 26-10-2014, 12:01   #694
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

what about crossbows, amazing power and quiet, take apart quick and most law enforcers wont recognize them parts or the bolts when they are integrated in our yacht storage

Sent from East Africa via Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Old 26-10-2014, 12:04   #695
Marine Service Provider

Boat: catalac 10m

I would like to get a reaction to the serious question of American yachts considered to be armed around the world by local coastal people! Doesnt that make American yachts more liable to criminal attack by those wanting guns?

Sent from East Africa via Cruisers Sailing Forum app
Old 26-10-2014, 13:36   #696

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goosebumps View Post
I would like to get a reaction to the serious question of American yachts considered to be armed around the world by local coastal people! Doesnt that make American yachts more liable to criminal attack by those wanting guns?Sent from East Africa via Cruisers Sailing Forum app
I honestly don't think it's as common on as it looks on a forum like this. I might be wrong though. I doubt even as many yanks carry as the impression is received on here. Might be another thing for US costal cruisers, but then with 11000 deaths by guns in the US in 2013, it's a dangerous place to live, even to go to school. And the basis of a US argument for guns is the only thing that will stop a bad ass with a gun is a good ass with a bigger gun. And their lay the main thinking of the American setting out to cruise around the world. A very few actually think its the solution in he rest of the world.
Old 26-10-2014, 13:40   #697

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

For Antarctic Astrid
I'm not sure where you sail but the Caribbean has more pirates now than during the hey day of piracy. They don't fly the jolly roger but they do try to rob anyone they think is easy prey. Pirates were cut throats and thieves, today they are mainly thieves, they will board you if they can and they have been known to be violent, but that is rare.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-10-2014, 13:46   #698

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by lesterbutch View Post
For Antarctic Astrid
I'm not sure where you sail but the Caribbean has more pirates now than during the hey day of piracy. They don't fly the jolly roger but they do try to rob anyone they think is easy prey. Pirates were cut throats and thieves, today they are mainly thieves, they will board you if they can and they have been known to be violent, but that is rare.
Historically 'Pirates' weren't commonly 'cut throats', that was a later occasional trait.
Old 26-10-2014, 14:33   #699

Rustic Charm, that is true overall but consider Edward Teach, Blackbeard. It is widely accepted that he killed an average of 9,000 people per year during his reign. Hardly an insignificant number. And he was not even close to being the worst of the pirates.
Old 26-10-2014, 14:49   #700
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Quote:
Rustic Charm, that is true overall but consider Edward Teach, Blackbeard. It is widely accepted that he killed an average of 9,000 people per year during his reign. Hardly an insignificant number. And he was not even close to being the worst of the pirates.
I always wonder how they arrive at these figures. Did he write them down in the log under daily kills? Was somebody designated official recorder? It all seems so much like plucking figures out of the air at random all these historical "facts' to me. Not just pirates but all battles as well.

I am just a natural doubter about so called "facts" I guess.

Coops.
Old 26-10-2014, 15:17   #701
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

I doubt it.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 26-10-2014, 15:32   #702

Actually there were very good records both from those shore installations he raided and from log books on his own and those ships he plundered. While 9,000 is a best estimate it is backed up with facts. I doubt it is more than +\- 10% of error.

Old 26-10-2014, 15:38   #703
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Actually there were very good records both from those shore installations he raided and from log books on his own and those ships he plundered. While 9,000 is a best estimate it is backed up with facts. I doubt it is more than +\- 10% of error.

Records kept in those days would be liable to gross distortions from both sides I would have thought, but, anyway, he was not a nice fellow whatever his score.

Coops.
Old 26-10-2014, 15:39   #704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
I always wonder how they arrive at these figures. Did he write them down in the log under daily kills? Was somebody designated official recorder? It all seems so much like plucking figures out of the air at random all these historical "facts' to me. Not just pirates but all battles as well.

I am just a natural doubter about so called "facts" I guess.

Coops.
There is a tendency to think that people a couple of hundred years ago, were a lot different than we are now. That's not really true, and believe it or not, people knew how to write, and people kept records. The Spanish, in particular, were meticulous record keepers of events that occurred in the new world. That's why people can still find their shipwrecks. They wrote down where they occurred and what they were carrying when lost.
Old 26-10-2014, 15:45   #705
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think I understand that people could write then. My doubt lies in how they got the numbers that they wrote. It is a debate that cannot be concluded by either of us, a bit like the guns on boats thing. Some believe, some doubt. We cannot go back in time and see it for ourselves.

Coops.

Tags
Guns, guns