Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2010, 17:28   #16

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
whodathunk there were so many Ducks lurking around. You guys ought to put up some stuff about the Columbia bar and Newport ect ect. Your in an interesting and challenging area.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2010, 19:06   #17

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdoraKeeper View Post
whodathunk there were so many Ducks lurking around. You guys ought to put up some stuff about the Columbia bar and Newport ect ect. Your in an interesting and challenging area.

Todd
This is the current conditions off shore from Columbia River Bar. Anybody for a day sail?

wind 35 to 40 kt with gusts to 50 kt in the afternoon...and gusts to 60 kt in the evening. Winds become SW 30 to 35 kt with gusts to 45 kt after midnight. Combined seas 17 ft dominant period 11 seconds...building to 24 ft dominant period 10 seconds in the evening...then...subsiding to 21 ft dominant period 10 seconds after midnight. Rain with a slight chance of thunderstorms
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2010, 10:01   #18

Boat: Sundance 23
Speedoo:

OK, no dark blue. Baby Blue it is. It's actually growing on me.

The big tank is empty and won't be used unless I take a vacation trip. It's built in, and fuel line runs to the outboard 9.9 hp, through the transom. For most trips, I believe simply using the 3 gallon, with the 5 gallon backup, just in case, will be perfect. That's what my twin-engine motor boat buddy tells me will be adequate. The 3-gal tank is very slim, has a nice big handle and its own little gas line, sits stable in the cockpit (the only thing I don't like, but that can be remedied, as there's plenty of room in the bilge area, tons of wasted space). I'll be able to run another fuel line out the back for the portable, keeping things neat in the cockpit.

Idorakeeper. I'll point out the story on the poor cat that bought a Pearson 30 here in town and attempted to sail it up towards Hermiston. Fire-damaged boat, dead onboard engine, but purchased an outboard, no radio, very low battery cell phone saved his buttocks, and winds were hitting 80 knots. Sad story. Total loss.

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index...is_boat_o.html

Guy ventures out on a trip like that with no insurance, towing, nothing, by himself. ..

John. Will hold off on a day sail for another day. Oh, and the area where the guy ran aground out by Corbett is someplace I don't plan on sailing towards, until I learn a ton about sailing. The Columbia Gorge is scary.
inSanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2010, 18:12   #19
bvh

Boat: macgregor 26 (atm)
Ahoy & Gidday , welcome to CF Insanity,(that was intentional) ,your posts have already made for some good reading , Keep your boat atop the water hey !
Cheers mate
bvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 13:18   #20

BVH:

Launched it yesterday. Have to replace halyards, everything else is ship shape. Want to take a little motor cruise after work, if it's not raining. Will post pics.

Very hairy watching your boat sway to and fro on a trailer on very busy congested highways during end of Rush Hour (not all the time, but ...).

I was born again, when the crane lowered the boat. Then, had the very helpful, knowledgable and experienced boat yard man help step up the mast and give a little inspection. I squared up with him, and
off I went to dock at my slip. My friend and I did pretty well, considering the huge current.

Still have a wee bit of tuning to do to the rigging, but she's on the water.

I'm stoked!!!!!!!
Old 25-05-2010, 13:45   #21

Congrats on the splash.

Too bad you did not replace the halyards while the mast was down... much simpler. Now you'll have to use the old halyards to thread the new ones, best to attach them together with a couple of stitches, but duct tape will probably do it if you don't have stitching stuff and you're in a hurry.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 14:26   #22

Boat: no longer on my Cabo Rico 38 Sanderling
Send a message via MSN to John A
don't use duct tape!!! the adhesive qualtities of both sides can stick in the pullys.
use electric tape , the shiny sided one.
Use a small gauge line taped to your old line. pull the old line down threading the smaller line up and down the mast. then tie the new line to the smaller line and tape it real good to cover the bitter end of the new line.
It worked for me!
John A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2010, 15:49   #23

Was going to stitch using waxed thread; i.e., like they use for leather sewing. Easily enough done. No duct tape here. Would have replaced halyards had I known prior to launch day (was assured that everything was ready to go). No rope for sale at the boatyard, and I already had a date set in place for launch. Sooooo,

In the meantime, it's a very nice motorboat.

Pics coming later.
Old 25-05-2010, 17:50   #24
bvh

Boat: macgregor 26 (atm)
Thumbs up

Congratulations INSANITY ; i can imagine your "stockedness" . will wait for pics ,(good luck with that ,i cant work it out)
bvh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2010, 10:26   #25

BVH, ???. Oh, I'll have help when redoing the halyards. Great boat yard guy with enviable experience sailing from South America to Med.

Happy Sailing.

Now, for some upgrades and more polish. And, time to contact a very learned, experienced sailor to start my sailing education. I'm going to motor about this weekend, if it stops raining.

Thanks everybody for your welcomes.

/greeting thread.

Tags
portland