Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2017, 17:41   #1

Boat: land lubber
Greetings from Colorado

Grew up in the first state of Delaware and spent my summers on the DE shore fishing, clamming and crabbing. More than a few nights off the Baltimore Canyon
tuna fishing.

Joined the US Navy 1975 and proudly did 2 west pack tours on the USS Enterprise, scuba diving in every port we landed.

Have lived in Colorado for the past 17 yrs. What a great experience but no salt water anyware in sight.

Have never set foot on a sail boat but it has always been a dream of mine to live on and sail my own ship. Same sad story, work and commitments.

Have a 2yr plan to move to the east coast, buy live aboard sail boat and spend the rest of my days sailing the US eastern coast. Any info on how to accomplish this would be appreciated. For now I will be a sponge.
Shell Back 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2017, 18:06   #2

Boat: Morgan 44 CC
Re: Greetings from Colorado

Welcome to CF.
Believe it or not there are some sailors in Colorado. Some are mountain lake sailors, and some are actually blue water sailors, temporarily beached for one reason or another.

My wife and I spend summers sailing Lake Dillon, on our Catalina 27. It is beautiful and surprisingly challenging.

In the winter we charter in the Caribbean. I also take a team to Antigua Sailing Week on occasion (having just missed this year I regret to report).

I am also soon planning to acquire a long range cruiser, to be operated in the winter in the Caribbean.

So. ..there are sailors out there in Colorado. Check out Sailing Association of Intermountain Lakes (SAIL) and the affiliated clubs. It is a way to begin. Learning to sail is the easiest part of blue water cruising. You can do that in Colorado.

Good luck with pursuing your goal. For me it is a very interesting pursuit.
derfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 03:15   #3

Boat: Grand Banks 42 MY

Welcome to the forum. It was a nice story of your life, best wishes for your interesting plans !
Old 10-05-2017, 03:48   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Shell Back.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:27   #5

Boat: 33' Nonsuch

You may want to consider joining the US Power Squadron in Boulder. (Sic.) There are a surprising number of members who keep boats on the East Coast. Good way to begin your boating education and meet other sailors. They charter in the Caribbean in the new year. Friendly and helpful group!
Ida_Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 08:49   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell Back 17 View Post
Grew up in the first state of Delaware and spent my summers on the DE shore fishing, clamming and crabbing. More than a few nights off the Baltimore Canyon
tuna fishing.

Joined the US Navy 1975 and proudly did 2 west pack tours on the USS Enterprise, scuba diving in every port we landed.

Have lived in Colorado for the past 17 yrs. What a great experience but no salt water anyware in sight.

Have never set foot on a sail boat but it has always been a dream of mine to live on and sail my own ship. Same sad story, work and commitments.

Have a 2yr plan to move to the east coast, buy live aboard sail boat and spend the rest of my days sailing the US eastern coast. Any info on how to accomplish this would be appreciated. For now I will be a sponge.
Howdy and Welcome Aboard CF Shellback!

Some of us get landlocked for longer than we want.

But, there is always hope for the future. I hope you enjoy your time on CF, and later sailing when you make your move and find your boat.

I will send you some tips via a Private Message.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2017, 10:50   #7

As you might guess from my screen-name, I used to live in Denver. They have a very active sailing club at the Cherry Creek Reservoir there. There are also a fair number of sailboats (including some quite large ones) up on Dillon Reservoir near Frisco/Silverthorne. I have to suspect that, wherever you are in the state, you are not all that far from someplace where you could learn to sail. Personally, I learned to sail when I lived in Nebraska -- not the first place most people would think of as a sailing mecca.

Good luck.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote