Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2003, 01:49   #1

Greetings from Aussie

Hi All,
Well I hope I can navigate my boat better than I navigate this bloody computer. Took nearly a week to get settled into the site but now that I am squared away & registered is is timely to introduce myself. Have been a cruising yachtie on & off for some 25 years, no ocean trips just Australian east coast & GBR. Tried to swallow the anchor a couple of times but fate keeps returning me to the sea. Current boat is a hybred Nichol/ Crowther 40ft. Tri, would love to attach a photo but havn't worked out how to yet. Built my first yacht here in Gladstone, hit the water in '82, 38ft steel cutter ketch, to all those builders out there I say keep on truckin, I know its sometimes hard but believe me it will be worth it. I actually went into a phase when I was afraid to launch so kept having engineering fantasys & adding things. Finally fell OB during a few drinks whilst still in the yard, so figured it would be safer in the water. Better stop this novel. Please call if I can help with any steel, welding or other building problems.
Luck to all, Glen
Setia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2003, 14:53   #2

Boat: Mariner 36 Sloop, Seidelman 24 racer
Welcome aboard Setia,

I've always wanted to cruise your waters.Maybe do some diving on the Great Barrier reef also.My goal is to eventually live aboard also, but I have too many obstacles in my way right now.It's always good to hear from someone that is doing it.Cheers to you!

If I take the wings of the morning,and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me,and thy right hand shall hold me.
Stede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2003, 02:27   #3

Stede,
Thanks for your response Mate. Not quite living on board just now, although have certainly spent more time on board than on land since starting. Would love to move on board but the Manageing Director (Wife) is not so keen. I have a small window of oportunity as we are currently in the Marina - usually in pile mooring but they are currently painting the piles so have free 3 week stay in the Marina. For the record Gladstone Marina is tops, all buildings are timber colonial style, normally costs $445 PM for my boat (nothing extra for Multis). We have a fair compliment of Cruisers pass thru from all points & usually get to meet them in the nearby Yacht Club. The inner reef is approx. 25 NM out & there are 2 circular reefs within this radius, one with island, both with access into the lagoons. The reef in the northern sections adjacent to Cairns & Townsville currently has a large infestation of Crown of Thorns Starfish which feed on the coral. It's a huge concern, & will make you cry if you see the devastation in some areas. The academics say it is cyclical but many old hands disagree, I believe we cannot take the chance & must take positive action now. Hope you can make it here some day.
Regards, Glen
Setia is offline   Reply With Quote