Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 10:38   #1

Greetings from a sailing newbie!

Hello all!

I'm saving to buy a boat as a live aboard but I need to learn A LOT about sailing and boat ownership first.

My brother and I had a 28' Irwin that we used to mess around with on weekend cruises to Ocracoke Island. We sold it about a year ago and I am having major withdrawal symptoms. I'm looking to get something from 36'-42', but I have no idea where to start. I guess these forums are as good a place as any!

I look forward to meeting lots of new people and would gladly welcome any and all advice/resources that you could give me!

Cheers!
Hootuk Myrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 17:13   #2

Re: Greetings from a sailing newbie!

Welcome to Cruisers Forum Hootuk. Checkout yachtworld.com. You should find something that you like on there. Also try craigslist.org
haw1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 17:25   #3
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hootuk Myrum View Post
Hello all!

I'm saving to buy a boat as a live aboard but I need to learn A LOT about sailing and boat ownership first.

My brother and I had a 28' Irwin that we used to mess around with on weekend cruises to Ocracoke Island. We sold it about a year ago and I am having major withdrawal symptoms. I'm looking to get something from 36'-42', but I have no idea where to start. I guess these forums are as good a place as any!

I look forward to meeting lots of new people and would gladly welcome any and all advice/resources that you could give me!

Cheers!

Before you let yourself fall in love with any boat you've found, get an engine survey done by a certified engine mechanic. I learned that one the hard way ...
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:03   #4

Thanks all! I'm leaning towards a Beneteau but I really need to learn how to assess a boat with a more critical eye.

I've done hours of searching and daydreaming on Yachtworld.com, but I'm thinking the Craigslist/private owner sale may be the way to go. Are yacht brokers anything like used car salesmen?

I mainly want a live aboard but would also need a boat with some pedigree for blue water.
Hootuk Myrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 10:19   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Thanks all! I'm leaning towards a Beneteau but I really need to learn how to assess a boat with a more critical eye.

I've done hours of searching and daydreaming on Yachtworld.com, but I'm thinking the Craigslist/private owner sale may be the way to go. Are yacht brokers anything like used car salesmen?

I mainly want a live aboard but would also need a boat with some pedigree for blue water.

Hootuk, there's a lot of junk on Craigslist that's there because a broker wouldn't take it. Do you have friends who sail? Do you have any who know a lot about sailboats? You should take someone with you to look the boat over. Then if you think you've found a good one, hire a marine surveyor and make sure the boat is sound. Having a friend look first, even paid, is much cheaper than having surveys on several boats that are in very rough condition.

I did this. He found places on one boat where the wood was so dry-rotted he could stick his finger right through it. The oil in the engine was a thick as peanut butter. It had been a great boat once, but he found those two things so easily I told him to just stop looking at it.

On another boat, friend lifted the floorboards and looked at the keel. the bolts were all rusted. Two had already broken and the other six were in really bad shape. The keel was about to fall off. Oops.

I've been where you are. It's really important to get a boat that's basically sound.
Old 06-05-2013, 10:28   #6
cruiser

Quote:

Hootuk, there's a lot of junk on Craigslist that's there because a broker wouldn't take it. Do you have friends who sail? Do you have any who know a lot about sailboats? You should take someone with you to look the boat over. Then if you think you've found a good one, hire a marine surveyor and make sure the boat is sound. Having a friend look first, even paid, is much cheaper than having surveys on several boats that are in very rough condition.

I did this. He found places on one boat where the wood was so dry-rotted he could stick his finger right through it. The oil in the engine was a thick as peanut butter. It had been a great boat once, but he found those two things so easily I told him to just stop looking at it.

On another boat, friend lifted the floorboards and looked at the keel. the bolts were all rusted. Two had already broken and the other six were in really bad shape. The keel was about to fall off. Oops.

I've been where you are. It's really important to get a boat that's basically sound.
Old 06-05-2013, 11:23   #7

Boat: Morgan 27
Join a sailing club, find out what works, what kind of sailing do you plan on doing, get these figured out before buying any long term boat. For instance, full keel, fin keel, center board, shoal draft, deep draft, tiller or wheel. I like racing I have a fixed 4.5 fin keel with a tiller and a out board so i can remove it for weight placment. For coastal cruising we have a full keel, wheel steering with an inboard. What we did was went to the sail loft and volunteer as crew for every race. With so many kinds of boats and variations talk with people who sail and find people to take you sailing.
Autumns Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:47   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here on the forum. There are books written on how to asses the older boats so I'd pick up a copy and start studying it a bit. You might try the public library too just to see if you can check one out for fee.
When looking at boats you really need to use your critical eye. I've been known to fall in love with a boat just walking down the pier and not even aboard yet. It happens so look at everything with the thought, "what will it cost for me to have that fixed?"
kind regards,
Old 06-05-2013, 11:55   #9

Boat: Morgan 27
Welcome to the cf, "cheers"
Autumns Wind is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sailing