Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2012, 08:07   #1

Greetings!

Hi everyone! From the Texas coast (almost).

New to the forum and fairly new to sailing. I've completed ASA 101, 103, 104 in the BVI and I have about 3 years of experience as a mate on a 210' ship fishing in the Gulf of Alaska and Bering Sea. I have a healthy respect for the sea after my time up north!

I've made a career change and decided I only want to drive boats around for my own pleasure. I still work on ships but on longer on the bridge. I am now involved in seismic acquisition and processing and find it much more stimulating!

I generally work 5 weeks on and 5 weeks off. I need a place to call home and I am seriously looking for a sailboat on the Texas coast (relatively close to work when I need to be in the office). I like the feel of Corpus Christi. If anyone has any thoughts about the area feel free to let me know! Also if you know of a good boat in the 20'-30' range that can handle coastal cruising and some time off shore for some longer passages I'd appreciate any leads. I'm hoping to make a purchase within the next few months.

Thanks guys! Happy to be a part of the forum.
rdp5008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 09:06   #2

Boat: Lagoon 420
Re: Greetings!

Welcome aboard RDP & Good Luck!
Wherever we want to go, we go. That's what a ship is you know - it's not just a keel and a hull and a deck and sails, that's what a ship needs. But what a ship is...really is, is freedom. ~Johnny Depp as Capt. Jack Sparrow
krafthaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 09:24   #3

there are several good seaworthy boats in the 25-30 foot range. The Island Packet 27 has made several trans-ocean crossings and is a good boat. Something similar, but lots cheaper and not nearly as seaworthy is the ComPac 27.
I would guess there are plenty of boats available in Corpus Christi and you can venture a short distance to Kemah, Texas where tons of good quality boats are available.
Good luck.
Notpopeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2012, 09:41   #4

Thanks for the responses!

I'd love an IP27 but I am looking to keep my initial purchase price under $20,000. Preferably less than that. Kemah is a larger sailing community than Corpus Christi? From what I've heard, Corpus Christi is a more enjoyable place to live (keeping in mind I'm a 28 year old single guy).
Old 01-05-2012, 17:53   #5

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
Good to have you here. There are lots of boats in your size and price range. Look around at what's on the market and then post what you've found for comment.
kind regards,
Old 03-05-2012, 06:16   #6

Thanks John.

I have a copy of Twenty Small Sailboats to Take You Anywhere by John Vigor.

I like the idea of having a boat that can take me anywhere I want to go if I decide to take time off work for more extended cruising. I also understand that when buying my first boat I should get something that is easy to handle, fairly simple, and affordable. I'd like to spend around $10-20k (definitely would be more comfortable towards $10k). I'm a single guy and can imagine myself living on just about any size boat for 4-5 weeks at a time. I like the small pocket cruisers but the typical "bluewater" pocket cruiser is generally out of my price range right now.

Also am leaning towards Corpus Christi but not locked in. Still considering other places. I've done the PNW and been all up and down the Inside Passage many times for work. I am drawn to the idea of cruising in a warmer environment with warmer water. East coast or Gulf of Mexico most likely. Open to ideas!

Thanks again guys. Searching for a boat has been an interesting experience so far!

-Russell