Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-01-2010, 10:32   #1
cruiser

Future Global Sailor, from Southern California

Hello all,

I have been reading a bunch of messages on this forum... I have also tried to find other informaiton elsewhere, but this site seems to be the best... Thanks to those that put this together and those tha contribute to it...

Im a 51 yo retired male, and am really looking to live aboard and sail around the world....

BUT, the last time i was in a sailboat was at summer camp when i was 12 years old... I think it was a hobiecat??

I love the water... my only regret in life was to not devote myself to marine related career. I grew up in Hawaii, and have moved to Los Angeles, CA area for the last 20 years... I have been seperated divorced for 14 years now, and have raised my daughter, and she has now moved out.. allowing me to now persue my dreams...

I am really interested in livinig aboard a boat, but dont know anything about where, how, or how much it will cost to berth a boat, or any of the related costs...

I am not in a rush to start the sailing across the world right away, but want to work my way up, and hopefully meet other interested and expereinced sailors...

My goal would be to be able to go back to hawaii, and stay there for a while and sail the beautiful water around the islands and gain more experience... But, not sure how / where to start... Im willing to help crew other boats to any destination also..

Hopefully you all can help guide me so that i can start the planning / selling of my condo and disposing of all that i have collected over the years, (actually not that much)

Thanks in advance for all the help I hope to get...

Bill
Bergovoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 12:07   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Bill.

If living aboard has become slightly problematic, in recent years, in California, it's downright difficult in Hawaii.

Notwithstanding, I know we have Californian live-aboard members, and perhaps also Hawaiian (tho' I don't recall any) live-aboards.

Use the "custom search" link, under my signature, to find specific threads of interest, or don't hesitate in asking any specific question.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 12:40   #3
cruiser

ty for the welcom.. I love your search link... it's perfect....

I have been reading info/stuff for the last week, and there is a ton out there... I guess i am being lazy for wanting to actually start talking with someone and maybe that will help me understand stuff better...

Im thinking about the actual first STEP, that i need to take right now... Where can i go, who can i talk with, when do i buy a boat, what kind of boat, and how much... where do i put it.... what about licenses, and fees, and insurances...

and more importantly, what if i dont like it... although im not really worrying about that too much right now, but it is a question...

Can i meet someone that is living aboard, and talk / look / feel and get a better feel??

How can i get a list of marinas, or other places that might have anchoring/berthing options?? and does anyone 'rate' them or can I check thier references??? or are they all the same, and it's just a function of $$$

I would be interested in being a crew mate and going somewhere too...How or where can i post that, for folks that dont have computers or go online, or maybe they frequent a different forum.... Would going to different marinas and posting signs/cards be a good idea??

anyways, I guess i am getting more interested and wanting to start doing more then just read...

Thanks again.
Old 16-01-2010, 14:37   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bergovoy View Post
... Where can i go, who can i talk with, when do i buy a boat...
... Can i meet someone that is living aboard...
... How can i get a list of marinas, or other places that might have anchoring/berthing options...
... I would be interested in being a crew mate and going somewhere too...
It would help to know where you are located. It's a very big world.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 14:48   #5
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
It would help to know where you are located. It's a very big world.

OMG... Im such a dingbat...

I live is So. Cal. where many folks are self involved and think this is the only place... (heheheheh)
Old 16-01-2010, 15:10   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya
I've the impression that living aboard and coastal cruising is an easier accomplishment on the US East Coast where I liveaboard and cruise. I have many years experience in living aboard (since 1972) and would be willing to share ideas, but I have no specific West Coast knowledge. 'take care and joy, Aythya crew
Hudson Force is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-01-2010, 15:19   #7
cruiser

thanks for the welcome and I would love to hear any info you think might be helpful...

what or how did you make the 'switch'... what is my next step???

Im sure you wont have specific info related to west side, but anything you can offer is greatly appreciated...

btw: im guessing you have internet access onboard... hows about when your out and about??? what about access mid ocean???
Old 27-01-2010, 14:46   #8

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
I don't have answers to your questions but used to liveaboard here in Hawaii in the early 80s and then in Seattle in the mid 80s. Each was a wonderful experience. My suggestion would be to shop around for a marina that allows liveaboards first before pursuing the purchase of a boat on which to live.
Take a sail class if there is a club near you that provides them. Just a basic one is all you need to get going again. Then join a club or hang around a marina long enough to get yourself invited aboard a few boats. You can quickly get the feel of life onboard.
I never did much sailing around LA but did quite a bit in San Diego and some up in SF Bay area.
Your idea of posting messages is a good one and I'd suggest using the yellow pages and a phone to find liveaboard marinas.
Good luck in finding your new life.
kind regards,
Old 27-01-2010, 14:52   #9
cruiser

thanks skipper, i appreciate that. and i will gettin out to the marinas here in So Cal shortly... (it's been raining lately)

Tags
california