Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2009, 12:50   #1

Boat: Kolibri 12'
Forgive me, i'm a beginner.

I hope you to be accepted in the group even tho I’m not a sailor. YET. I’m going to be, just not really sure where to start. I figure the best way to learn is just simple to ask. Talk to others who have been there done that. Problem is I’m a small town farm girl. And I have no one to ask. I don’t know any sailors. So here I am, hoping to learn from any or all of you. I have a million questions. I’m a horrible planner and am used to doing things spontaneously. This usually causes me to find things out the hard way, which is fine, I expect it. First thing I would like to know is how long can I go sailing in the Caribbean for? I’m Canadian. Do I need a Visa for anywhere if I am just island hopping for years? Are there any basic ‘rules of the road’ for out at sea? How much do you spend per day? I know it depends on where you are and what you are doing. I’m just looking to know how much it costs just to live, the bare necessities. And probably the next question going along with that: What are the possibilities of making a little cash on the side? Any amazing websites I should check out to learn from? Or books? I have already learned a lot from other forums on this site. Thank you! I’m sure I will be asking more questions as the summer goes on. Please forgive me if some of them seem stupid, I’m just trying to learn.
Julie Poch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 14:07   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Where smalltown? Could be there are lake sailors close by, and sailing clubs. Sailing is not only the ocean. I first sailed on the Mississippi just above St. Louis.

How much? Could be several hundred $s a month to tens of thousands $s a month. Earning money is possible, but not always, but that usually means you stop sailing, and start working.

Bermard Motissier if you like reading sweet descriptive words. He will describe the passion, and beauty of sailing like no one else.

Webb Chiles if you want disasters, and tenacity in surviving near death sailing excursions.

The reading list is HUGE, and many will be along to advise on their own favorites. There are not many stupid questions, and admitting you know nothing is a huge advantage. There may be local sailing lessons on a lake near you. Lessons are usually the best way to start with very few bad habit........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 16:00   #3

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Hi there,

Start at the top of the "new posts" page and work your way backward.

In a year or two you will be quite well educated.

At least that is what I did before "jumping in".

I am educated well beyond my means!
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 16:49   #4

Boat: fp athena 38 ..10 10
theres no stupid questions .and remember we were all new once.welcom aboard....jt
Old 23-04-2009, 18:10   #5

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Julie, I live in the middle of the cornbelt of Iowa, yet somehow learned to sail and regularly sail in the Caribbean and Bahamas for 2 weeks to 3 months. Other people choose to jump in and never look back.

You can crew for people on other boats which is much cheaper and requires less knowledge than buying your own. Having some experience will open up more opportunities to crew as well as give you a better feel for what you like. There are several ways to get this experience. - Inquire at any local yacht club or university sailing club, even if it's a few hours away. You can also combine learning to sail with a great vacation by taking a live aboard sailing course somewhere fun like the Virgin Islands.

You will most likely need a passport to sail in other countries. Rules regarding the length of stay and need for visas vary, but you are probably getting a big ahead of yourself to be trying to figure that all out now. Let's just say there are plenty of Canadians who manage to cruise full time in such places.

What you spend can vary considerably. Some captains take on crew and cover all expenses. Others share the experience but expect crew to cover their own costs at something like $20/day. Some pay for those who can help. Owning generally costs more, but you will hear of people who own and get by for US$15K/year. (Once they own the boat).

You can learn a lot by reading many of the great books people have written about their sailing experiences or some of the learn to sail books out there.

One of my favorite voyage stories is "Maiden Voyage" by Tania Aebi (sp?). It's a great example of someone who just went for it with almost no sailing background. I think the American Sailing Association basic books are good starting points to learning the fundamentals. Your questions of rules of the road will be answered there.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 18:18   #6

Boat: Hans Christian 36'
Welcome Julie! I would echo what nautical62 said about reading great books; that's where I started. Read anything and everything you can from Lin and Larry Pardey. There are several great books about women at sea and living aboard. My husband and I really enjoyed the book Innocents at Sea by James A. McCracken. I'm also an avid blog reader. A lot of us on this board have blogs if that is something you follow.

Good luck and feel free to PM me for questions!
Red Charlotte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 20:10   #7

Boat: 1978 Marine Trader 36
Read read read, I agree with Red, Lin and Larry Pardey books will inform, inspire, and excite you. I have about five of there books. Only problem is it will make you want to go NOW. Best of luck.
Old 23-04-2009, 20:51   #8

Boat: Portobello - a Walter Knoop designed "DOVEN 30"
I must say that I am grateful for the years of dinghy sailing/racing I did when I was younger. I'd encourage anyone who has never sailed to do some - get wet, do up shackles, tie some knots, learn the language and meet the people. Strange bunch - sailors!
Portobello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 21:01   #9

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Aloha and welcome to the forum...It's all here! Dreams are good and books are great...Good luck...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-2009, 23:33   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Welcome...I agree with doing a bit of reading...but it will be far more useful to you if you've touched a boat.
I would get to a marina.....find some folks to talk to.....maybe get one of them to "want" to take you out sailing.
In any case don’t think this sailing stuff is all so difficult.....its just not.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2009, 07:04   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Might help if we knew where in Canada you are. As noted above, being away from an ocean doesn't mean no sailing. Find a local club, and go volunteer to crew in a race. Crew are ALWAYS needed, and it does help, being female. Don't worry about not knowing anything - you will learn quickly. Once you find a place, the next time you are asked to crew, bring the drinks and lunch. You will ALWAYS be welcome back. Sailboat ownership - even a dinghy - is expensive. I went 20 years between boats, but ALWAYS had a ride with this tactic. And, when the owner was out of town for a race, most times, I'd get to sail the boat!
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2009, 12:05   #12

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and Welcome aboard!
Yes, there are rules of the road for out at sea. Most all public libraries will have Chapman Piloting Seamanship & Small Boat Handling. It will contain everything you'll ever want to know about many sailing subjects.
Good luck in following your dreams of sailing. I can't think of a better pursuit.
Kind regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 07:29   #13

Boat: Kolibri 12'
Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!
I live in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan and there is a local sailing club here. They have lesson for a week in July and unfortunately I have used up all my holiday at work on a trip to Europe last month so I can't attend. I emailed the one of the people from the sailing club asking a few questions, I figured that was as good as place as any to start. No one replied to my email so I got a little put off. I have found a 12 foot little boat I'm probably going to buy to get me started. And from the sounds of everyone's advice I will probably dust off the old library card and have a summer of reading on those rainy non windy days
Thanks again for the input. I have been reading and learning so much in this group! I really appreciate it!
Julie Poch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2009, 07:53   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Julie,

Don't be put off. Stake out the club on a weekend, and form a plan. Maybe the next time show up with a small cooler of sandwiches, and drinks. Trade refreshments for a ride, and learn along the way. Nobody will come looking for you. You have to go to them, and let them know you are wanting to learn. BEST WISHES in succeeding in learning to sail, but you must be warned...IT'S ADDICTING TO SOME!!!!!!!!!!!!.......i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote