Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2005, 15:32   #1

Boat: Hunter 44DS, s/v Just Add Wine
Send a message via AIM to SailingSue
Exited Newbies

Hi - New to your site/boards and new to sailing. This is one of the better message boards I've seen.

My husband Craig and I have purchased our first boat, a new Hunter 44 in July 2004. We basically knew nothing of sailing/boats when we bought her in July 2004. We're taking all the classes that we can get our hands on to learn what we need to know so we can leave our land life behind in about 5 years. We're learning as we go and are having a great time. We're docked in Marina del Rey, CA.

I hope to check in to the threads often and learn a lot. Anyone got any good links that I should be checking out?! If you're interested in a day sail on a Sat/Sun and don't mind teaching a few newbies some of you wisdom/knowledge feel free to email me and we'll discuss

Slante'!!
SailingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2005, 17:45   #2

Boat: 34’ Marine Trader
WOW!!!!!!!! A Hunter 44 for a first boat with no prior experience. You are either very gutsy or very ............ well, that wouldn't be nice. Welcome aboard.

Jim

We are what we repeatedly do.
Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit."
--Aristotle
Jentine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2005, 19:53   #3

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Welcome aboard!!!!

Might I recommend when you take'r out that you take some experienced crew/guests with you for a while, and let them teach you the ropes, as it is said.

Take'r out to the Islands and anchor out a few times, get in some bad weather. If you ever get any down there. And, do a few 48 hour cruises. Take'r out just for putt'n around, practice backing, turning and docking in cross winds and currents. Learn to use the wind and current to your advantage. That should give you some of the basic experiences for cruising.

A 44 can do a lot of $$$ damage to another boat, as well as your own. So, take your time when in close quarters. Book learning is a good idea but there is no replacement for time on the water.

And yes, hang out here on the Cruisersforum! There is a lot of experience in all aspects of sailing and maintenance.

Fair winds............................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2005, 04:03   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
That sure is some "first" boat you have chosen! Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
Old 28-02-2005, 06:56   #5

Boat: Hunter 44DS, s/v Just Add Wine
Send a message via AIM to SailingSue
The reason we went large is because we're planning to live aboard starting this summer. Then we plan to take off cruising in about 5-6 years!
SailingSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2005, 07:02   #6

Send a message via AIM to GrayGoose
Cool Welcome

Sue and Mate, WElcome from Nancy and me even though we're 3000 miles to the east on the grey-green Atlantic. We're relatively new, having day-sailed for 12 years, and are about to go offshore. I would subscribe to Practical Sailor, but otherwise, I'd trust experience first and the words of experienced cruisers. Keep to the basics, over and over and over again: simplicity, ventilation, redundancy. Cheers,
Jack
Old 22-03-2005, 11:23   #7

Well, we're a bit far apart, me being in Brasil. But I used to sail in San Diego a lot. I taught sailing out of San Diego Yacht Charters on Harbor Island.

You'll have more fun than is probably legal on your boat. You'll want to start pushing your envelop soon and expand your comfort zone.

As has been said elsewhere, there is no substitute for experience. I could send you an electronic version of my book for beginners if you like. But I think you'll do fine the way you are.

Fair Winds and following tides.

Jim Smith
Slrman is offline   Reply With Quote