Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2010, 13:18   #1

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
pirate Boat Builder in Ireland

Ahoy! Just joined, I'm a boat builder to trade. As a result I have spent most of my time standing on the docks working on the boats and watching others sail away. Well all that is soon to change, currently finishing a Sailwind 27 and a Pahi 63 on the way I'll be heading for that horizon and taking my trade with me.
Geminidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2010, 20:03   #2

Boat: Catalac 12M - Llamedos
Wow, cool. I love the Pahi series. I seriously thought of building a 31. When do you think you will have the 63 on the water?
We have just bought a Catalac 12M and will be moving aboard next month. It is in Florida.
peterfynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 06:02   #3

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
Cheers, The Pahi is being built in Bataan Marina, Philippines, simply for the climate and the cost of building materials. If I were to build a boat of that size here I'd have to build a big oven first and with the cost of keeping the working environment at about 20 oC and less than 13% moisture content it wouldn't be worth any boat that comes out of it at the end of the day. Further more I'd have expect to pay an extra 80% to import the plywood which all comes from that part of the world anyway.

I met my fiance over there while working on this project so we have planned to get married on the beach and launch the boat at the same time. Hopefully February next year. The sail home will be our honeymoon.

Like you seriously thinking of using it as a live aboard, so tired of banks, mortgages and the recession. Keep me posted on how you get on!

Kind regards.
Old 27-01-2010, 08:26   #4

Boat: Catalac 12M - Llamedos
I understand the need to build where the materials are. That's a great place to build.
Where in the Philippines is the Bataan Marina?

I am 65, and of limited financial means, so the Catalac was the way to go We, too, are sick and tired of the rip-offs by the bankers, etc. and the recession. Look at our boat's name. Spell it backwards.

Will you be taking the boat back to Ireland when she is finished? Would be a great trip.

Good luck. Let's see some pictures.
peterfynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-01-2010, 13:33   #5

It's in Mariveles Economic Zone, Mariveles, Bataan Peninsula on the main Island of Luzon just opposite Manila.

Love your boat name by the way well thought up!
Yeah I'll be sailing the boat back to Ireland, it'll be a mammoth undertaking, here's the thread :
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...est-35628.html
I'll be over there again in March to get some updated photos.
Old 09-02-2010, 20:52   #6

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha and welcome aboard!
Our club has a little Wharram 23. Fun boat.
regards,
Old 11-02-2010, 15:28   #7

Boat: Offshore 8 metre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminidawn View Post
Ahoy! Just joined, I'm a boat builder to trade. As a result I have spent most of my time standing on the docks working on the boats and watching others sail away. Well all that is soon to change, currently finishing a Sailwind 27 and a Pahi 63 on the way I'll be heading for that horizon and taking my trade with me.

Hi

Have you done any cat sailing in Connemara? - I see you are building the big cat now but I was wondering with the many drying harbours if a cruising cat would be just the boat for connemara?
Old 14-02-2010, 04:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigheandonn View Post
Hi

Have you done any cat sailing in Connemara? - I see you are building the big cat now but I was wondering with the many drying harbours if a cruising cat would be just the boat for connemara?
I know what you're talking about, with the tidal range around here being so great, fin and deep keels can be a pain. No I didn't do much Cat cruising in Connemara with the big open decks I think Cats are better suited to warmer weather where it rains less, IMHO the better boat for Connemara would be te bilge or lifting keels. Even when and if I do bring the Pahi home I can't imagine it will be here for long.
Old 14-02-2010, 13:13   #9

Boat: Offshore 8 metre
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminidawn View Post
I know what you're talking about, with the tidal range around here being so great, fin and deep keels can be a pain. No I didn't do much Cat cruising in Connemara with the big open decks I think Cats are better suited to warmer weather where it rains less, IMHO the better boat for Connemara would be te bilge or lifting keels. Even when and if I do bring the Pahi home I can't imagine it will be here for long.

no doubt you are right - somehow I can't accept the bilge keeler as a serious boat however there are some fantastic examples of lift keelers around -Northabout for example.

Tags
boatbuilder, Ireland