Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2015, 20:01   #1

Aloha from Honolulu

Newb here, just moved from Cali. To Oahu, in the Honolulu area. Have been boating for many years, the go fast style boats, but just started sailing about 6 years ago. Sailed mostly around Catalina and the Channel Islands 28ft to 36 ft boats, and am really looking forward to sailing in Hawaii. I do not have a boat here, so I am looking to crew if anyone is looking. After reading the crew portion on this site, I feel at liberty to add that I have a TSA, DOJ and several other background check credentials. I am scuba certified, a surfer, motorcycle rider , dual sport and the noisy ones, a little mechanical, and somewhat intelligent, depending on who you ask I guess.

Looking forward to meeting fellow sailers and cruisers.

Mahalo
Patrick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 04:58   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Aloha from Honolulu

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Patrick.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2015, 12:01   #3

Hello GordMay
Thank you for the welcome. I am looking forward to being part of the CF. I have perused a few of the forums, and they are fantastic. The breadth of knowledge here is absolutely amazing. I am hoping that CF will help me to find lots of others to go sailing with and continue to learn how to sail. I am looking for a boat here, and the experience and views are really helpful from the large diversity of sailers.
Old 27-04-2015, 13:17   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Aloha and welcome aboard!
There are quite a few CF members there on Oahu and I hope they reply. I'm over here on the Big Island near Hilo so if you get this way give us a heads up. We've got quite a great club Na Hoa Holomoku of Hawaii Yacht Club but our website is not extremely current in a couple areas.
Old 27-04-2015, 13:39   #5

Aloha SkiprJohn,
Thanks for saying hello. Yeah, I am really looking forward to sailing around the Hawaii area. I am near tha Ala Wai harbor and see lots of boats cruising around, especially on their Friday afternoon race. I have posted a little on WYC board, but have not heard back yet. I am planning on joining either the WYC or the HYC soon. I have only been here a couple months however, so just getting started on the networking.
I will definetly look you up when I get the opportunity to head over to the big Island. And likewise, if you are ever in the Honolulu area give me a shout.

Mahalo

Patrick
Old 28-04-2015, 00:33   #6

Saw this today. Hummmm FP Tobago for sale. I'm sure it is out of my monetary means, but I am going to inquire. I do not have any real time on the bigger cats, maybe 20hrs, but they sure seem nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	219.4 KB
ID:	101079  
Old 28-04-2015, 11:41   #7

If you are intent on buying then go to the yacht harbor office and put your name on the list for a slip. Do it now and for all the harbors around the island. The biggest hurdle here in the islands is finding a place to keep a boat.

WYC is more formal than HYC. I do like HYC better because of its atmosphere. Find La Marianna on Sand Island Access Road if you are even more laid back.

Hang Loose!
Old 28-04-2015, 12:22   #8

Thanks for the advice SkiprJohn.
I will go down and put my name on the slip list. I did hear that it can take a while, years, to get one. I'm not sure I will be buying any time soon, but I saw that one, and was interested. I like the laid back atmosphere so I will check out the HYC and La Mariana first. I liked those two, HYC and WYC, because I can easily walk to them. I believe they are also involved in the Transpac this year, and would like to see if I can somehow be involved as well. It sounds like a really great event, and I am looking forward to seeing all the boats and participants.

Mahalo
Patrick
Old 28-04-2015, 16:06   #9

Just thought I would share a quick video. This is sailing from Marna Del Ray to Isthmus Catalina about a year ago. The trip is about 28 miles across and passes through one fairly busy shipping lane. Spent over a week on a mooring ball and had a great time. Isthmus is really nice because most boaters from MDR and Long Beach go to Avalon, so normally it is pretty quiet and peaceful. I did not see another sailboat on this crossing, wich was a little unusual.
The boat is a 33 Yorktown. Fairly light wind and seas.
Attached Files
Old 29-04-2015, 19:25   #10

My friend has a Yorktown. It has been stretched to 36. It's moored here in Hilo Bay.
Old 29-04-2015, 20:09   #11

That's really cool, you do not see to many of them, and even fewer that are actually sailing. It's great that one made all way to Hawaii. There was always some question as to weather it was a "blue water " boat. But I think there are a few down in Austraila as well.
That boat is a friends of mine. We have made the Catalina run in it a bunch of times, and always had a great time. Not the fastest boat, but pretty comfortable. Here is pic that I took during the initial survey. A little rough, but in pretty good shape overall. It has since been hauled, scraped and repainted, all the thru hulls changed, new zinks, new shaft bearings, and some work done on the rudder connections. It has been a great cruiser, and for the money, a great deal.
I'm guessing your friend added the extra 3 ft at the transom? Apparently these boats came in several different options, and we're typically finished by a the owners. Although I heard that some came as complete boats from the factory.

Mahalo
Patrick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	409.9 KB
ID:	101181  
Old 30-04-2015, 13:17   #12

Another friend who goes by the cruisersforum handle of celestialsailor did a refit on one several years ago and its down in San Francisco. Really nice boat. Yes, most were finished by owners. There are two here in Hilo Bay so yes they can be sailed anywhere. The one I first mentioned was finished by another friend in Australia, sailed the south pacific and ended up here in Hawaii. The current owner might sell if you're interested I could ask. It has brand new bottom paint and new wire rigging. The owner just spent a week of sea trials sailing from Kona to Hilo. He said that sailing to weather with a reefed main and small jib the boat sailed itself.
Old 30-04-2015, 13:22   #13

If I were younger and wanting to find a place to keep my boat I'd call Iroquois Point Marina. There is a mast height limit for getting in there but it is a unique place to keep a boat. I was able to sail in there with my 35 ketch many years ago. It's located on the Ewa (west) side of the Pearl Harbor entrance channel. If you have an auto then it's not too far a drive.