Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Welcome Aboard > Meets & Greets
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2004, 19:42   #1

A quick introduction...

Hi,

I have been lurking here once and a while. Now that I have just bought my first cruising boat I thought I would introduce myself.

My name is Woody and I am preparing for a 3 year US/Caribbean+ trip with my wife and two children ages 7 and 9. We plan to depart in the spring of '05.

The boat's name is Exposure and she is a well outfitted Prout Snowgoose Elite 37. She is in Maryland now and we plan to sail her down to NE Florida the end of May, when the kids are out of school.

I will be traveling up to get her ready in April. I need to get a few things commisioned, including a new coat of bottom paint.

Thanks, Woody
exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 12:54   #2

Location: Fredericton, NB, Canada in the summer and fall; Caribbean in winter and spring aboard Cat Tales.
Boat: FP Tobago 35 (and a H-21 SE)
Another "Cat-Man-Too"!

Welcome aboard. I have a 1996 Tobago 35, and intend to be in the Carib next winter. Replacement parts are coming in fast and furious; causing cash-flow troubles.

How do you like the 37? How old? Any trouble getting parts? Any headroom issues? I was looking at the Prout 35s and found them a little short for me. Sure seemed seaworthy, though.

Sonosailor
Sonosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 18:44   #3

Thanks for the welcome. How is the Prout 37? I'll have to tell you this spring, as it's up in Maryland and I am here in Florida. I just bought it and I'll have to wait for the ice to thaw to bring it down south and get to sail it.

The Prout 35 is just small enough to be uncomfortable for my needs. The berths are the size of a small double, and the headroom is less than needed in the salon. The 37 is a step larger and just big enough.

Layout and size wise I think it will be great for us. It is a '93 model, but has almost no use due to the owner getting injured right after he had it built. It is extremely well built, as the buyer oversaw the construction himself. All of the rigging, hatches and most other things were upgraded. The engine has 350 hours and there were more extra items and spares than I could shake a boat hook at! The sails are like new. The stay sail and cruising chute had never been used.

The only down side is the owner spec'd a separate shower stall where the forward cabin would be. The head is plenty big for a shower and I would prefer the additional berth for my son. I'll probably convert it. But, this should not be too big a deal.

As to head room... I am 5'-11" and the only place I come up short is at the companionway. Everywhere else I am Ok. The aft berths are the size of a queen, except at the feet where it tapers a little. My wife is small, so that helps.

The boat will never be a speed demon, but it should be a seaworthy platform for my family. My wife is 4'-11' and cannot handle large sails. A big full roach main is not an option for us. as I was shopping around I learned that every boat is a set of comprimises, you just have to choose the one that comprimises the least for your needs.

What are your impressions of the Tabago for blue water or island cruising? Did you buy it out of charter?

Woody
Old 10-02-2004, 09:14   #4

WOW!

Wow Woody,

That sounds like a great plan, I am looking forward to getting a 25' Venture down from Idaho this summer to sail around the Austin Texas, and eventually gulf along the coast....long term plans are to get a litttle bit bigger boat for cuising and do the same thing in about 10 years.....How long have you been planning your three year trip? Do you have alot of sailing experience? I am originally from Maryland, Baltimore, but never sailed there...
JimAustinTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2004, 08:44   #5

I have been planning to go cruising since my wife and I met when we lived in Arizona. It seemed fate that two people interested in cruising would meet in the middle of the desert. Alas, that was about 18 years ago and we are finally getting ready to go. As is said... "life is what happens when you are making other plans" or something like that.

I owned a sailing dinghy when I was a kid in the Pacific NW. I also sailed with a friend on a San Juan 24. Later I continued to rent small boats when I was in the Navy, then bought a Laser in Arizona that I sailed on the lakes and on trips to Mexico for a while. We took some sailing/navigation/chartering classes in San Diego. We chartered in the BVI once as well. Then, last year, I helped a friend take his Tayana 52 offshore from Fernandina to the Chesapeake. That rekindled my interest.

In short, I am not experienced enough to think I know it all, but I feel good enough to start out here on the US east coast and expand my horizons to points beyond as I learn more and more.

Regards, Woody