Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2007, 11:09   #1

Boat: Spencer 42' MOSHULU
A quick hello!!

Hello everybody. Just wanted to say hi. I am new to this site, but looks like it could be a real help and a great place to meet fellow sailors with similar interests.
I have been sailing on and off most of my life both as a boat owner and racing crewmember. I started my sailing aboard a 26 T-Bird with a friend and raced in the T-Bird fleet for several years. Fun, fast lively boats. Great group of people also. Moved on to crew on a 40' flush deck Cal sailing out of Tacoma Yacht Club. Had the opportun to learn a lot and get in on some big water sailing. I have owned some sort of sailing craft for most of my life and have cruised extensively in Puget sound and BC waters. Boats have included everything from my first, a 17' Tanzer to a Columbia 22', Erickson 27', Blanchard 35' to my current boat, a 1966 Spencer 42'. I am currently in the process of a complete 18 month rebuild, refit in preparation for retirement and embarking on a lifelong dream, bluewater cruising. Don't know if it will be my cup of tea, but like someone said...I would much rather look back on the things I tried and regretted than look back on the things I never tried! So, I hope to meet some great people here and suck on a few of their braincells to help me along my way. Fair Winds! Gerry S/V "MOSHULU"
vertical202 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 11:14   #2

Boat: Sceptre 41
Welcome aboard.

Recently returned from BC Puget Sound and loved it. You are very lucky to live there. If bluwater cruisisng works out thats great. If I know that I could spend ten or twenty years sailing around the Puget Sound/BC area.

Lots of people with great info here.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 11:24   #3

Hi Charlie

It is indeed a beautiful cruising ground and I do count myself a lucky man. I have spent 35 years cruising the area and could spend 35 more and still not come close to scratching the surface. Part of my reason for wanting to go big is in a large part to the challange. Stretching myself one last time. I am 52 years old and still physically very capable. None of us know when that might end. My new motto is, "If not now, When?" I am realistic about my pursuit and have my head out of the clouds, but never know? Might get off the coast of Oregon and decide to turn around. But I'll never know if I don't try. I plan to be ready by next spring to sail to Alaska for about 3 months. Then hopefully join the HaHa the following October. We'll see. Thanks for the welcome! Youll be hearing more from me I'm sure! Gerry
Old 29-07-2007, 12:28   #4

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Aloha Gerry,
Welcome aboard!! Good to have you here.
A member of our forum sails a Cascade 42 out of Tacoma. The boats name is "Tabula Rasa." I'm doing an 18 month rebuild that has lasted 15 years. I guess my motto would be "If not now, whenever."
Kind Regards,
JohnL
SkiprJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 13:15   #5

Boat: Allied Princess, 36-Scallywag
Welcome Gerry,
May your winds be fair. Many of the members on this site are very knowledgeable.

John
scallywag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 14:13   #6

Quote:
I have owned some sort of sailing craft for most of my life and have cruised extensively in Puget sound and BC waters.
Lucky you!!

Welcome aboard cruisersforum, Gerry!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2007, 16:43   #7

Thanks to all for the warm welcome! I guess I had better move to the other forums to start seeking answers to some of my questions. See you all there!!