Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-06-2015, 06:36   #1

Boat: TBD
A Quick Hello

Hello,

New to the forum, wanted to do a quick introduction.

I'm very new to sailing, been looking into sailing for several years. Recently, I contacted a local sailing club just to get my feet wet. They offer a 2 day course and use of their boats (cautiously enthusiastic). I am going there this weekend to take a look around.

My wife and I have always loved the water, love being around boats and meeting new people. If things work out, I would like to own a sailboat one day. I'm concerned that my wife won't like the motion and the tipping of a sailboat. She seems to be very intrigued so, we shall see. I have so many questions about various boats, sizes, etc.

I am currently in the Air national Guard full-time as well as a part time business consultant.

Any tips you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated.
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 07:11   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: A Quick Hello

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, m.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 08:15   #3
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2244 View Post
Hello,

New to the forum, wanted to do a quick introduction.

I'm very new to sailing, been looking into sailing for several years. Recently, I contacted a local sailing club just to get my feet wet. They offer a 2 day course and use of their boats (cautiously enthusiastic). I am going there this weekend to take a look around.

My wife and I have always loved the water, love being around boats and meeting new people. If things work out, I would like to own a sailboat one day. I'm concerned that my wife won't like the motion and the tipping of a sailboat. She seems to be very intrigued so, we shall see. I have so many questions about various boats, sizes, etc.

I am currently in the Air national Guard full-time as well as a part time business consultant.

Any tips you are willing to share would be greatly appreciated.
Howdy and Welcome Aboard the Forum!

You mentioned that you want your wife to like sailing, but you are not sure if she will (for various reasons such as tipping, motion, etc.).

I have seen many "newbies" introduced to sailing, and saw a few things that make a difference in how positive and fun the experience can be for those newbie (never been sailing) guests, especially when men intend to get their girlfriend or wife involved in the activity.

I think most men really blow it when it comes to getting the "never been sailing before" woman to like sailing.

Why? Because the man did not do a good job of addressing some of the concerns (spoken and unspoken) and needs (spoken and unspoken) of the woman.

This is not a sexist remark. Some of the world's best sailors are women and I admire many.

But, I have seen how men tend to push/pull some women (or friends or children) onto boats and those same women may "go along" for one outing, and be miserable (this maybe unspoken) and never go again.

This is a complex subject (with many opinions), deserving of more focus and time than I can give now, and I don't want to hijack your intro thread. So, I will post my suggestions in another thread I will start soon.

You mentioned you will have a lot of questions.

Looking for Quick Answers?

This is the best and fastest method I have found to the answers I seek here.
Since you are relatively new to the forum, here is my favorite friendly forum search tip: Look at the green menu bar on the forum pages for the drop down "Search" menu. Click on that to drop down a list of search functions. From that drop down menu select the GOOGLE CUSTOM search feature (the second box down) and then enter several different descriptive terms for your topic of interest. That will do a Custom google search of ONLY this site and it is likely to find answers to your questions or results for you. Note: this is different from using the regular forum search box or field. Also note, this is NOT found if you use the CF app. It IS found if you use a web browser such as Safari, etc.

I hope this helps you or others.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 08:17   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc 34'

Welcome aboard! My wife didn't like the heel of a sailboat so we compromised by buying a catamaran – we both love it. There are pros and cons to both, for sure. Good luck getting started and out there!
Waterway Guide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 09:26   #5

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
Howdy and Welcome Aboard the Forum!

I hope this helps you or others.

Thanks fore all the tips. I just tried that search feature and got a 404 error. You can do the same thing from google by using the "site" function, which will only return results from the specified site. Like this:

choosing a sailboat site:http://www.cruisersforum.com
m2244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2015, 09:48   #6
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by m2244 View Post
Thanks fore all the tips. I just tried that search feature and got a 404 error. You can do the same thing from google by using the "site" function, which will only return results from the specified site. Like this:

choosing a sailboat site:http://www.cruisersforum.com
Thanks for the notice.
I tried the same and got the same result.
I have now reported that to Site Admin.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2015, 11:50   #7

Greetings! Love of the water grows fast. I bought a nice custom cut mattress and my wife loved staying on the boat. They aren't that expensive and we chose the memory foam option from Rocky Mountain Mattress. Good luck!
robert. is offline   Reply With Quote