Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2007, 15:47   #1

A new hello

My name is Bob and I would like to say hello to all C&S members. Ive been sailing about 8 years now and although I don't have a whole bunch of time on the water I'm trying to figure out how to get the hours I need to get my captains license. My wife and I own a 69 Venture 24 that we try to get out on as much as possible. I was thinking about trying to crew on one of the charter companies here in S.F. bay area, but there won't be anything happening until spring. I'm thinking about Offshore Passage Opportunities, does anyone know anything, good or bad about them? Any other suggestions.
werawesum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 07:01   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Hi Matey and welcome.

Others have suggested this before and I'd suggest you may give it a go. Just pop into one of the local Yacht Clubs and offer your time as race crew.

When we raced lots of skippers really dtruggled to make up the 8, 10, 12 people they needed to crash thier boats around the cans - and I guess its the same in your area.

DO NOT be put off if you lack race experience. IMHO most good skippers would prefer someone who is open to learn and turns up on time each race day over an unreliable boy racer.

Good luck on getting the sea hours.

JOHN
Old 31-08-2007, 16:42   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Here's a tip I learned about getting on a race boat. Most regattas will post provisional standings as the regatta proceeds.

Find the guys hovering around the back of the pack and approach them at the dock. The guys at the front take it "very" seriously and may not be amenable to beginners. Also the guy at the front usually has a list of people who want to sail with him/her because, face it, everyone loves a winner.

The backmarkers are usually looking for crew. We figured out we need at least 8-10 people on call to crew a J24 (5 crew) reliably.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 17:15   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Time is time. Find situations with people you know and or like to sail with any way that works. In the end it is supposed to be fun! Find ways to be on the water that are fun. A captains license is worthless unless you are looking for a job. Job is not fun. Lots of time on the water is valuable and should be a good goal. I would agree with Ex-Calif the folks in the back are seriously looking for fun. Having more fun is not about winning first place. Just don't sail with fools.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2007, 17:42   #5

Thanks to Swagman and ex-calif

Just wanted to say thanks for the welcome and for the info on regattas. I'm definetly going to check it out. I'll keep you posted. Swagman, your blogs are great.
werawesum is offline   Reply With Quote