Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2011, 14:43   #1

Boat: Santana 2023 - Impulsive II
Why Do . . .

Colleges say they are veteran friendly, yet have staff members such as professors that make it so difficult? This is the last college class I am taking, October is a Commercial Dive Academy. The summer classes were a bridge for me to keep income from the GI Bill as they will no longer pay during summer or winter break. My professor writes an email stating that chapter 1-3 in should be read in all three books by the first day. Fair enough.. Anyone not having a book the first day will start with a C.. okay.. More than one absence and you will be dropped, no excuses. I replied stating that my VA appointments were made 3 months ago, one was 6 and that there is no way I can miss them and was there away we could work around the obstacle. His reply simply stated no, Im sorry. No excuses means no excuses and if you arent serious about my class, you should withdraw immediately and rethink your college career.
I understand they put up with alot of excuses, but I even offered to show him a copy of my appointments from the VA and he still refused. So basically I am left with 3 business days to switch classes which would work if ANY classes were open, which they are not. Now I am dead in the water and since i cannot attend class for August, I will lose almost 2 grand in cost of living allowance for the month which is very substantial to me given that covers my rent, utilities and a few other bills on top of a newborn baby. I dont expect the world from these professors, but it would be nice for a little understanding.
E.L.Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 15:46   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Re: Why Do . . .

Google "University Student Rights" and see if you get something. Really doesn't have anything to do with Cruising and Sailing but good luck anyway.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 15:55   #3

Boat: 1989 50 ft Roberts

Go up the chain of command. I did this a few years ago and got a call form my US senator with a resolution to my issue. The squeeky wheel gets the grease.
Matt sachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 16:07   #4

Boat: private yacht always moving

not being able to be excused for a medical reason? is this not discrimination against a veteran and a medical condition. That would be the professors policy not the schools. If this school receives any type of federal funding then I believes that they have to follow federal guideline. The professors rules and the rules of the school are probably 2 different things.
captainKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 16:15   #5

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

E.L. unfortunately you will find many in academe who have little empathy for a vet. Go see the Dean of your college, i.e. your prof's boss. While profs are "kings" in their little realms, your reasons for missing are more than reasonable. There is no reason a prof cannot bend a little given that circumstance. You should do it ASAP and do not let a Dean's office secretary or assistant put you off. If they say he can't see you now, just say you will sit and wait until he/she can. There is a potential discrimination issue there, but probably not constructive to mention it in the beginning. Good luck! Let us know what happens.
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 17:26   #6

I don't see it as a vet discrimantion thing. Profs are often full of themselves (call me Dr. Suchansuch, I earned it). My Physical Chemistry prof wouldn't change an exam date for, us the students, to attend the funeral of a fellow student that passed away from leukemia. They are small minded people, and forget that the students are the customer and that they are the employee. I doubt that the dean (also a professor) will help but it can't hurt to try.
Morgan3820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2011, 22:22   #7

Boat: '72 Tanzer 28 "Her Idea"
Definitely talk to the dean...I am betting that there is a thick book of rules which are universal to that school...students rights, etc....
Oh boy ,would I love to be in that situation....nothing I love more than taking the schoolyard bullies' lunch money.

<grumpy old chief petty officer>
Old 30-07-2011, 04:03   #8
CLOD

Boat: none

if you talk to the Dean and get the the teacher overruled, how do you expect that to work out in class later?
Old 30-07-2011, 05:11   #9

Boat: morgan 462-sageofsalem

As "Chief" Zopi said,use the rulebook. Go through the channels, inform the professor in writing, speak to all the necessary authorities, then attend your medical appointments.

If you can establish he ever made an exception (say for a pretty girl (boy?!)), you got him by the short hairs for being "arbitrary and capricious."

Being from the South Side of Chicago, I would probably "make him an offer he couldn't refuse."
sageofsalem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2011, 11:10   #10

Thank you for all the responses guys! I am speaking to my Veteran Rep at the college Monday and changing classes if any are open. After hearing the way this prof. had his mindset, I know that this class is not for me. Even aside from my appointments, we have a one month old daughter at home and my old professor knew this, so if I was running late I would apologize afterward if it was something to do with my family and he understood. He said hey, life happens.. Im glad you made it even if you were a little late. Its not that I am looking to mistake ones kindness for weakness and I do admit, a screaming baby leaving me with 2 hours of sleep, yeah, a few times I have overslept, so I know that having someone like him would be setting myself up for failure if he runs such a tight ship.
Old 30-07-2011, 11:16   #11

Also, last semester there was a professor that was a hippy. true hippy, she started every class with songs from the 60s and called everyone my friend. I had something similar with Dr appointments pre surgery and when I let the VetRep know he was furious. He was the one who personally taught the classes on the needs and issues associated with veterans in the classrooms, specifically how missing appointments for veterans is a serious problem within the VA system and they cannot interfere or give repercussions due to them.
Old 30-07-2011, 11:57   #12

Oddly enough I just read the ratings on a professor rating site. Half the people stated, get this.. He loves America, a true patriot and is very involved with the political climate.. Interesting.
Old 30-07-2011, 15:44   #13

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

It would be interesting to know which branch of service your "true patriot" served in and who wrote those ratings.
kind regards,
Old 01-08-2011, 07:46   #14

Update, I was able to swap classes with a lighter workload ( his class demanded about 4 hours a day in homework alone) between work and a newborn that is not feasable right now. After telling my VA rep the issues I had I recieved an email saying " how many classes will you miss? Im sure there is something we can do to work it out". To me that says, a VA rep just gave me a chewing now I have to make myself look good.