Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-03-2012, 09:16   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Why CF Wins

As a newbie I have subscribed to a number of sailing forums. Over the past year, I have trended away from most of them for various reasons. Some are very "cliquey" until one becomes a member of the "in" crowd, others have most of their post related to non-sailing discussions (nothing wrong with that, but the concentration is not on sailing).

I have found CF to be the one I keep not only coming back too, but the first one I check for "new posts".

Why?

An important reason is the "keep it nice" philosophy. I have a pretty thick skin and can dish it out better than most, but the general demeanor that is positive is much more productive than otherwise. I love a great debate, but prefer the issues over attacking personalities.

Probably the biggest reason is that as a newbie I find I am actually learning from this forum. Learning about maintenance, learning about some sailing issues prior to experiencing them hands on (using a drogue chute as example), learning about marinas, anchoring and so much more. Real people with real experiences and gladly sharing theirs.

Just thought that kudos were in order, and I will continue to read and contribute when I can. Even with opinions

Old 02-03-2012, 09:53   #2

Boat: too many
re: Why CF Wins

If your a newbie, what does that make me? I'm hoping to meet some of the folks here at CF the next time I'm out, so between socializing here and getting active again on the HF maritime mobile nets, I'll return to cruising with new and old friends.

I do agree that CF is a good place to hang your hat.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 10:02   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

That's great feedback, avb3. I enjoy this forum because if its mix. It's truly international, it both welcomes and represents a tremendous range of experience, and it doesn't pander to the least common denominator, devolving to the lowbrow extremes represented by so many other forums.

Many of us are refugees from other forums that soured when one group or the other began to dominate in such a way that the only way was their way. For example, on a forum in which I formerly participated, if you were not a do-it-yourselfer restoring a project boat, you would basically be considered inferior. According to that clique, real sailors didn't purchase new boats.

Here on CF, we seem to be able to accommodate all comers, as long as they observe the "Be Nice" rule. Still, I worry about the number of people who feel it necessary to slag other people's boats for not corresponding to their idea of a proper bluewater cruiser. For example, people on this forum who own multihulls and/or production boats have sometimes been been subjected to boat bashing, and I've actively tried to encourage the slaggers to go find another forum.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:08   #4

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
For example, people on this forum who own multihulls and/or production boats have sometimes been been subjected to boat bashing, and I've actively tried to encourage the slaggers to go find another forum.
FYI It was a multihull'r that actually started this forum then sold it to our friend AndyR.

BTW I wear too many hats to hang mine.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:27   #5

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser

Fora from all walks of life are run by mafia type cliques, and if your face doesnt fit, you get slagged off or bullied.

They all have mods, presumably to monitor and referee, yet in some cases, the refs join in or turn a blind eye to bullying.

Im told that the mods here also have **** to take care of, but its all done behind the sceens and the surface is unruffled, so its a nice place to play.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:36   #6
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i enjoy cf-- there are no assigned trolls, as in one certain other forum based on cliquishness, and there is no fighting and the cyberbullies behave here....much more user friendly-- and ther eis actually usefull info here, as opposed to the other forum to which i obliquely referred----
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 11:11   #7
CLOD

Boat: none

almost like daring one to say something

But yeah at CF there is a lot more activity. I've been a member at sailnet as long as on CF and have like 120 posts there because overall there just isn't thing going on. Yet people who have been member for half the time as me and somehow have managed to make 3000+. And they get insulted if you disagree with then because after all; they have 3000+ posts so must know what they are talking about

I do think the opinion mix here has changed the last couple of years. It's not a given on CF that a 32' old refit boat is better than a new 45' production boat anymore.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:20   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
It's not a given on CF that a 32' old refit boat is better than a new 45' production boat anymore.
We must be loosing our touch... I will see what can be done.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 13:52   #9

Re: Why CF Wins

The only place I spend time (and like maybe 10%) is sailinganarchy's cruising forum: http://forums.sailinganarchy.com/index.php?showforum=22

The one thing I'd put on them is that there's a lot more racers over there, and racers are usually much better sailors than "cruisers". So if you want an in depth discussion (beyond bowlines vs. shackles) on jib sheet attachment, sailinganarchy is usually going to be a better resource. They are garbage for most every construction/system/refit topic however.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 14:09   #10

Boat: Jeanneau Sunshine 36

I was drawn to CF by the OpenCpn sub-forum, then had a look around, liked what I saw/read, and started to give my garlic-scented views on various topics...
A treasure-trove of hard facts, opinions and witty comments...
sailorF54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 14:19   #11

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
The only place I spend time (and like maybe 10%) is sailinganarchy's cruising forum: Cruising Anarchy - Sailing Anarchy Forums

The one thing I'd put on them is that there's a lot more racers over there, and racers are usually much better sailors than "cruisers". So if you want an in depth discussion (beyond bowlines vs. shackles) on jib sheet attachment, sailinganarchy is usually going to be a better resource. They are garbage for most every construction/system/refit topic however.
I usually do the same thing
Old 02-03-2012, 14:33   #12

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
So if you want an in depth discussion (beyond bowlines vs. shackles) on jib sheet attachment, sailinganarchy is usually going to be a better resource. They are garbage for most every construction/system/refit topic however.
Ooops! Now you done it, gone and pissed off someone, for sure.
Old 02-03-2012, 15:07   #13

Boat: PETERSON 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Ooops! Now you done it, gone and pissed off someone, for sure.
Im just going to put out the offer. Ill go up against any anarchy forumerrr and prove cruisers are better sailors.Im working on the rules. Pretty confident that I can out sail most challengers. So long as I get to set the rules.
Watch out Volvo were on the edge of the forum challenge.
I am proposing a race of sail boats around the world CF against anarchy. rules they have to sail around in boats. First one across the finish line wins. So far those are the rules. Anyone want to add?
I would like to leave from the Lizard for literary reasons. Cuttyhunk would also serve well for similar reason.
Draft:
The forum challenge will have some restrictions and will require an entry fee that directly goes to my checking account. All participants need something on board and are required to have something else on board as well. A waiver form must be signed before entry. If you activate an epirb forum members can poll to see f you really need help.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 15:22   #14
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I do think the opinion mix here has changed the last couple of years. It's not a given on CF that a 32' old refit boat is better than a new 45' production boat anymore.
I must have missed that week .

My take is that CF has kinda moved on from the: "I've just signed a HP form on a $250k boat for going RTW - which end is the front?".......nowadays the budgets are smaller .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 15:30   #15

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Quote:
and racers are usually much better sailors than "cruisers"
Only if by "better sailors" you mean being able to sail some very awkward vessel that is designed to some obscure rules around a course faster than a cruiser could sail said very uncomfortable and awkward vessel around said buoys. There is a lot more to being a good sailor than being able to eek out every tenth of a knot under arbitrary conditions that don't exist outside of the race course. I know some excellent racers who are also good cruisers and what I would consider good "sailors," but they are outnumbered by great racers who are terrible "sailors."