Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-08-2012, 18:23   #1

What's Happening to Glacier Ice - Hard, Gritty Evidence

It's MUCH worse than we could have imagined.

Please, for the sake of a world beyond tomorrow, watch this:

James Balog: Time-lapse proof of extreme ice loss | Video on TED.com

If everyone who watched it persuaded two others to do the same, it seems to me that we might achieve a critical mass of informed concern, to leave behind a different world for generations to come.

Better still would be to watch the film "Chasing Ice". I saw it last night. When it finished, the entire audience was frozen in shocked, silent immobility for a minute or more.
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply
Old 22-08-2012, 10:22   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: What's happening to glacier ice - hard, gritty evidence

Very interesting and good presentation.

I wish he had left out the political slant with reference to lobbying, and just giving a heads up to posters here that although discussion is good, moderators will be watching for any political comments or personal attacks that may occur.

The subject is important to discuss, but let's keep it on a cerebral level.
Old 22-08-2012, 10:26   #3

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Re: What's Happening to Glacier Ice - Hard, Gritty Evidence

While I do believe the climate may be changing, I don't believe we are the cause. If anything, we may speed things along, but this change would happen even without us.
maytrix is offline   Reply
Old 22-08-2012, 11:52   #4

Boat: OEM, proportional

The planet weathered the ice age after the great flood without our help. The middle ages warm spell went by without our starting or finishing it. The science isn't settled, and there is more than enough evidence out there that it is all a giant fraud with religious/political/financial motivation and serious consequences. Anyone that cares to go look can see that at the Rio +20 conference should get the message loud and clear that the climahype is passé and the new thing is sustainability. Then go look at the "Georgia Guidestones" and notice the goal of a 500mill cap on human population. That means there are currently over 6 billion people "superflous" to requirements, according to someone's accounting. Quite a bit of genocide required to get rid of them, too.
Old 22-08-2012, 12:17   #5

Boat: 2004 Hunter 41 AC

What does this have to do with sailing?
s/vPainkiller is offline   Reply
Old 22-08-2012, 12:27   #6

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by s/vPainkiller
What does this have to do with sailing?
Think of all the great anchorages thatll open up!!
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply
Old 22-08-2012, 12:54   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

This thread is being moderated more heavily then usual.

Please keep comments relevant to the OP's post. I have removed a number of irrelevant posts. Do not post just links to other websites or YouTube videos without making relevant comments... they WILL be removed.
Old 22-08-2012, 13:02   #8
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

More warming = rising sea level = more places to go sailing. Obviously!

But the disaster of global warming apparently has saved us from a mini ice age, which happens every 10-15000 years, and actually has been overdue to recur now.

Whether the current warming is natural or man-made really doesn't matter. Either way, we need to understand what affects global temperatures and weather, and figure out IF we can tolerate the changes, or if we want the changes, and then what we're going to do about that.

The cause doesn't matter. When the bus is going over a cliff, you need to focus on the CLIFF, the STEERING, or the BRAKES. Not the driver's tailor, or what color his uniform is, or much of anything else.

The way the world keeps ignoring the real issues, I can't say I'll be surprised when all the cooking and drowning starts.
hellosailor is offline   Reply
Old 22-08-2012, 13:05   #9

Boat: OEM, proportional

Here is a timeline of climate alarmism. It is a truly bipartisan record. If you think the world is about to fry...you're right! If you think it is about to freeze...you're right! It's all about timing. Just be sure to keep those carbondollars flowing though....

Climate Change Alarmism Timeline 1895-2009 « An Honest Climate Debate

And an FAQ featuring some definitely non-PC answers, with enough truly inconvenient references to prick anyone's carbon bubble. Don't quote this lot at school, or uni.

ICECAP

And I'm not completely sure what the vid was about, but I'm guessing it has to do with those dodgy airplane contrails that refuse to evaporate. Hmmm, maybe they aren't water. I've got the link, just in case...
Old 22-08-2012, 13:15   #10
cruiser

Since I live in Massachusetts during the winter, I'd like to vote in favor of global warming.

If the ocean levels begin to rise, I'm pretty certain I'll be able to outrun it... You'd have to be pretty stupid to just stand there in one place (for hundreds of years) and drown.

'just came back from Guernsey, 30 ft tides... Unbelievable.
Kenomac is offline   Reply
Old 22-08-2012, 13:29   #11
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
More warming = rising sea level = more places to go sailing. Obviously!
And the north west passage opened up as well. Hurrah

Short Sharp Science: Dramatic loss of sea ice in North-West Passage

Short Sharp Science: Arctic sea ice set to hit record low within days

And despite there being little doubt within science that releasing significant amounts of CO2 is really a bad unpredictable thing to do nothing happens. This idea of humans somehow being capable of conciously altering their future as a species doesn't really cut it.

Aren't we clever digging up 1.3 trillion gallons of oil each year and setting fire to it.
But the sunrise is still beautiful, no reason not to enjoy that. most species are extinct anyway, we won't be the first.
conachair is offline   Reply
Old 22-08-2012, 13:45   #12

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by conachair View Post
This idea of humans somehow being capable of conciously altering their future as a species doesn't really cut it.

Aren't we clever digging up 1.3 trillion gallons of oil each year and setting fire to it.
But the sunrise is still beautiful, no reason not to enjoy that. most species are extinct anyway, we won't be the first.
Yep.

Like deer in a corn field.

And the spectacular sunsets and sunrises are even more spectacular when there are pollutants in the air. Without them it is just sort of yellow.....and bright. And if you look at it long enough you can see it the rest of the day.

PS. there is another forum that is great for this no-win, never-ending argument. Suggest y'all go over where there is a S and a N in the name.

Believe me it is better to just leave it there in one place.

OH, and that video has been there for a while.
Old 22-08-2012, 14:09   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Since I live in Massachusetts during the winter, I'd like to vote in favor of global warming.

If the ocean levels begin to rise, I'm pretty certain I'll be able to outrun it... You'd have to be pretty stupid to just stand there in one place (for hundreds of years) and drown.
Heard of a place called Bangladesh?
Andrew Troup is offline   Reply
Old 22-08-2012, 14:20   #14
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"Heard of a place called Bangladesh? "
You know, at the risk of being called cruel? Bangladesh is the swamp where the folks who got thrown out of Pakistan who got thrown out of India wound up because they were too poor to buy anything except swamp land.
That's a whole other problem and if the swamp floods, there's no news there.
hellosailor is offline   Reply
Old 22-08-2012, 14:48   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
Originally Posted by micah719 View Post
The planet weathered the ice age after the great flood without our help. The middle ages warm spell went by without our starting or finishing it...
The difference this time, is that we now ARE having an unprecedented influence on climate.
The science is convincing, and as settled as it ever gets.
"Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

http://deoxy.org/pkd_how2build.htm

GordMay is offline   Reply
Closed Thread