Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2014, 03:34   #181
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: What did we Learn from the 60's?

That of course is your opinion.

Coops.
Old 27-04-2014, 03:35   #182
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coops View Post
That of course is your opinion.

Coops.
Of course.
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 03:38   #183
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator

Mine is, I enjoyed the sixties, and the seventies, and the eighties and all of the other ones so far. I do not get bogged down with politics or other stuff that stops me enjoying it. Way too boring all that rubbish.

PS/ Lambretta for me as well. Chrome side panels and enough mirrors to start a fire when the sun came out.

Coops.
Old 27-04-2014, 06:29   #184

Boat: Cape Dory 33

+1 Coops.

I have my understanding of and take on all that has transpired, and it's not that I don't care or don't reflect on it, but I have developed a philosophy over the years that has worked for me. I try to only worry about things if there is actually something I can do to control or affect them. If there is realistically nothing I can do to affect an outcome or have any control over a situation, or if I am not directly responsible for it, I let it go. I'm not into wasting my time or my nervous energy on futile activity.
Old 27-04-2014, 06:45   #185
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldragbaggers View Post
+1 Coops.

I have my understanding of and take on all that has transpired, and it's not that I don't care or don't reflect on it, but I have developed a philosophy over the years that has worked for me. I try to only worry about things if there is actually something I can do to control or affect them. If there is realistically nothing I can do to affect an outcome or have any control over a situation, or if I am not directly responsible for it, I let it go. I'm not into wasting my time or my nervous energy on futile activity.
er......
You both have gone off in different directions. Its not about 'doing anything" or controlling anything or worrying about anything, its a reflection of what happened and a look at what changed and perhaps why.

We live in the post 60s 'change' and our reaction to what we do with life and circumstances are all based on events that transpired back then.

Whether you think about it or get involved in other activities and ignore it, doesnt change events or the background, and you ARE part of the changed atmosphere and deal accordingly.

For the most part, it happened so long ago we forgot where and why because the now is what we deal with.

I guess examining reasons for change or failure is limited to those who like the History channel.
Old 27-04-2014, 07:05   #186
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What did we Learn from the 60's?

Speak for yourself...
Every now and then.. usually late at night I find myself back in Hyde Park with Eric Burdon and War...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 07:09   #187
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Speak for yourself...
Every now and then.. usually late at night I find myself back in Hyde Park with Eric Burdon and War...
Yeah
Eric asked me once if I knew an Able Seaman Phil....... something about some plants he never received........

Old 27-04-2014, 07:24   #188
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: What did we Learn from the 60's?

He musta been outa his face big time.. it was actually 'Bombers'..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 07:26   #189
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
He musta been outa his face big time.. it was actually 'Bombers'..
I had actually forgotten how good Burdon was.
He was voted one of the best vocalists of his time.
Thanks for reminding me.
Old 27-04-2014, 07:35   #190

Fine discussion, thanks newt and thanks to coop for letting it keep going - although it is in "that" forum...

I must admit, I'm a little confused. No, no, no, not because I was a "child of the 60s" ("when dreams could be held on TV, we had Disney and martin Luther and Walter Cronkite, and I believed, I believed, I believed" - Nancy Griffith), but because I seem to recall that generations run about every 20 years, right? If that's the case, then the 60s and the 80s were completely different generations.

The Democrats pursued the war in Vietnam, one of the dumber things ever done. Recall, if you will, the draft, which created tremendous strains on society. GWB's draft dodging, as well as Cheney's, weren't yet a big deal.

But then came the 80s, 8 years of Alzheimer's and his Ice Queen in the White House, no wars to speak of, but the true beginning of institutionalized greed, me-first, greed, co-opting the press, a Republican who is lionized by his followers but who, they interestingly enough fail to remember, raised taxes, and, lest I forget, the Iran Contra Scandal. I still have no idea why Bozo didn't get impeached for that. And the first go around of Darth Cheney.

20 years apart, a generation. Lumping the 60s and 80s together seems incorrect to me.

The dismantling of the New Deal began with Bonny Ronnie and his minions, the early Paul Ryans of the Repukes.

In 1994 we got that "take no prisoners" Newt (sorry newt) G, a hypocrite of the highest magnitude. IIRC, he cheated on wife #1 with #2 and so on and so on. What's he up to now? And then going after Clinton for not keeping "it" zipped. Geez...

The 80s saw the return of the robber barons, and the 90s saw the rise of radical repukes who put ONLY their interests above that of the country.

Some might say that "it has always been that way," but recall, if you will, true Republicans patriots like Robert Taft of the Senate, who thought long and hard about voting to support Truman's "Police Action" in Korea because he actually believed in the Constitution and understood that war making was the Congress' job, NOT the president's. Too bad, set a very dangerous precedent, thank you very much GWB, and the real prez, Mr. Cheney, round three. 'Member 'dem weapons of mass destruction? Condoleeza, where are you when we need you? And then he had the balls to JOKE about it at a White House correspondents dinner. I'm sure the Iraqis and the needlessly dead American soldiers' families thought that was really funny.

Oh, and how he never really got elected. Kathryn Harris ring any bells for ya? Even back then they were stealing votes, although they hadn't yet come up with the silly voter fraud cover story.

And that 2008 "recession?" Folks, it wasn't an economic "downturn" it was the Spawn of Regan ripping off the stock market due to deregulation of THE industry that is crying out for more, not less regulation.

The same old mantra of "too many taxes, too much regulation" is just such utter nonsense. Corporate taxes were 91% !!! under Eisenhower and the country experienced incredible growth. Kennedy lowered them to 73%. Now they're 35% with all sorts of tax "havens", so in many cases 0%. And folks wonder why our roads are falling apart, our teachers don't get paid, regulators can't regulate because they've been budgeted out if not completely eliminated by new laws, there's no $$ to dredge the ICW (just so ya can sneak some "boating" into this thread ), and Ryan wants to cut taxes for the richest 2% even more!

Man, history sure is a bummer.

Doesn't help if you don't remember, but then we get back to that tired old cliche of the 60s, right?

William Manchester wrote a superb two volume history of the US from 1932 to 1972 called "The Glory & The Dream." A good read if you're interested. Read that compared to Howard Zinn and it would be an interesting reading comparison.

And, of course, one of my all time favorites, Tricky "I am not a crook" Dick. At least he started the EPA, another of those agencies Ryan wants to get rid of, like who needs clean air and water.

Welcome to the future - 1890s style.

Oh, and that "monthly check?" I'm guessing you're not on food stamps, so it's NOT an entitlement, it's an earned benefit. I'm sure glad I'm getting mine, because I paid into it. Why that is a problem to some remains beyond me. Perhaps someone can explain it...thanks.

And thanks again to newt for a very enlightening topic.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 07:39   #191
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Fine discussion, thanks newt and thanks to coop for letting it keep going - although it is in "that" forum...

Doesn't help if you don't remember, but then we get back to that tired old cliche of the 60s, right?
But........ you never mentioned Eric Burdon!
Old 27-04-2014, 07:40   #192
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Stu Jackson
Catalina 34IA Secretary #224 (1986)
San Francisco Bay, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)

And............ Ive been meaning to ask for ages...... whats the difference in the NZ model?

Old 27-04-2014, 07:46   #193

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post

I must admit, I'm a little confused. No, no, no, not because I was a "child of the 60s" ("when dreams could be held on TV, we had Disney and martin Luther and Walter Cronkite, and I believed, I believed, I believed" - Nancy Griffith), but because I seem to recall that generations run about every 20 years, right? If that's the case, then the 60s and the 80s were completely different generations.

The Democrats pursued the war in Vietnam, one of the dumber things ever done. Recall, if you will, the draft, which created tremendous strains on society. GWB's draft dodging, as well as Cheney's, weren't yet a big deal.

But then came the 80s, 8 years of Alzheimer's and his Ice Queen in the White House, no wars to speak of, but the true beginning of institutionalized greed, me-first, greed, co-opting the press, a Republican who is lionized by his followers but who, they interestingly enough fail to remember, raised taxes, and, lest I forget, the Iran Contra Scandal. I still have no idea why Bozo didn't get impeached for that. And the first go around of Darth Cheney.

20 years apart, a generation. Lumping the 60s and 80s together seems incorrect to me.

The dismantling of the New Deal began with Bonny Ronnie and his minions, the early Paul Ryans of the Repukes.

In 1994 we got that "take no prisoners" Newt (sorry newt) G, a hypocrite of the highest magnitude. IIRC, he cheated on wife #1 with #2 and so on and so on. What's he up to now? And then going after Clinton for not keeping "it" zipped. Geez...

The 80s saw the return of the robber barons, and the 90s saw the rise of radical repukes who put ONLY their interests above that of the country.

Some might say that "it has always been that way," but recall, if you will, true Republicans patriots like Robert Taft of the Senate, who thought long and hard about voting to support Truman's "Police Action" in Korea because he actually believed in the Constitution and understood that war making was the Congress' job, NOT the president's. Too bad, set a very dangerous precedent, thank you very much GWB, and the real prez, Mr. Cheney, round three. 'Member 'dem weapons of mass destruction? Condoleeza, where are you when we need you? And then he had the balls to JOKE about it at a White House correspondents dinner. I'm sure the Iraqis and the needlessly dead American soldiers' families thought that was really funny.

Oh, and how he never really got elected. Kathryn Harris ring any bells for ya? Even back then they were stealing votes, although they hadn't yet come up with the silly voter fraud cover story.

And that 2008 "recession?" Folks, it wasn't an economic "downturn" it was the Spawn of Regan ripping off the stock market due to deregulation of THE industry that is crying out for more, not less regulation.

The same old mantra of "too many taxes, too much regulation" is just such utter nonsense. Corporate taxes were 91% !!! under Eisenhower and the country experienced incredible growth. Kennedy lowered them to 73%. Now they're 35% with all sorts of tax "havens", so in many cases 0%. And folks wonder why our roads are falling apart, our teachers don't get paid, regulators can't regulate because they've been budgeted out if not completely eliminated by new laws, there's no $$ to dredge the ICW (just so ya can sneak some "boating" into this thread ), and Ryan wants to cut taxes for the richest 2% even more!

William Manchester wrote a superb two volume history of the US from 1932 to 1972 called "The Glory & The Dream." A good read if you're interested. Read that compared to Howard Zinn and it would be an interesting reading comparison.

And, of course, one of my all time favorites, Tricky "I am not a crook" Dick. At least he started the EPA, another of those agencies Ryan wants to get rid of, like who needs clean air and water.

Welcome to the future - 1890s style.

Oh, and that "monthly check?" I'm guessing you're not on food stamps, so it's NOT an entitlement, it's an earned benefit. I'm sure glad I'm getting mine, because I paid into it. Why that is a problem to some remains beyond me. Perhaps someone can explain it...thanks.

And thanks again to newt for a very enlightening topic.
Good points: Trick Dicky was not all bad. In fact he was for single payer health care system, he started the Wash DC subway system(which I worked on for 9 years) and other progressive programs.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 07:52   #194

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post

And............ Ive been meaning to ask for ages...... whats the difference in the NZ model?

It's a bit of a joke. I bought mine when they were very new, before they started making them in China and before shanks started getting bent and Rocna really blew it big time by pulling more of a coverup than simply telling the truth.

I've found it tends to avoid some folks saying things like "Oh, but your anchor is so inferior 'cuz it'll bend and break." Nope, I got mine before they started making them out of paper-mache.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 07:53   #195
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Originally Posted by Stu Jackson

Nice rant Stu. I really liked it.

There is one thing I would like to point out. the 60s was about how it affected PEOPLE.

the government was not affected at all. It never is. It doesnt deviate from its plan or objectives. It gets interrupted from time to time but overall it carries on.

There is NO disagreement of who and why as enunciated carefully by you.

BUt......... the 60s was a time of public discontent and an attempt to try a new path. It was a public display of outrage and impotence and fedupness.

It fizzled and the game continued.