Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2015, 16:20   #61
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: West Marine changing strategies: likely de-emphasising sailing related support

It would be a loss for us. There are 2 WM's we frequent, I've often wondered at the proximity.

They are in Delaware, no sales tax, and if I order from them I get it without paying for shipping.

It is a real convince and often actually cheaper.

Remember when LL Bean sold real hunting and fishing stuff?

Abercrombie and Fitch?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 07:05   #62

Re: West Marine changing strategies: likely de-emphasising sailing related support

I've tried shopping at Defender's but so far did not find anything which was not cheaper from someone else on amazon or ebay. Like I said if they had even a small physical presence nearby I'd pay a reasonable premium otherwise why overpay since I don't see an upshot of buying from them as opposed to an established ebay seller who is 10-20-30% cheaper. That same ladder which WM did not have at $239 was $199-209 at Defender's. Better deal for sure but still not a winner for me.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 07:54   #63

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

As far as I'm concerned, good riddance to them. They've done more harm than good since they went public. I'd say 50% of the old time Ma & Pa marine stores went belly up do to them moving into high concentrated boat areas.
As soon as they went corporate, things like fasteners, boat gear and such were replaced with fashion wear and trinkets.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2015, 08:01   #64

Can't help but to consider all of the underpaid, overworked people in third world sweatshops making the so-called 'lifestyle' clothing. Somehow seems appropriate West Marine is capitalizing on this. They lost their genuine appreciation for W.M. employees when they went public, so why pretend people and their welfare matter more than profit?
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 18:57   #65

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy

Most people on this forum tend to be more hard-core sailors than the average WM customer, who is happy about the lifestyle product line being increased.

Sent from an undisclosed location on the high seas or from the lounge chair by the pool, you decide.
Old 25-01-2015, 20:11   #66

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Looking at the picture that AVB3 posted there sure doesn't seem to be a large crowd of folks lining up to buy all that life style gear. The one guy on the floor I bet wasn't there for T-Shirts or clothing or Kayaks. I bet, just from looking at him, he was there for repair items.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2015, 21:27   #67

I hope it stays the same-I would miss the old WM. It didn't carry everything but prices were way better than a smaller ship's store nearby. It was handy being near marinas when you needed something now.

I can't imagine buying clothes there though-except when they are marked down. They are way too expensive for my tastes.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 04:12   #68
CLOD

Boat: none

Can't really blame WM, their job is to sell stuff and if people don't come go to the stores to buy it why would they waste money having it. The only people to blame are the cheap sailors!
Old 26-01-2015, 04:27   #69

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27

I remember one of the first time's in Annapolis just over a year ago, I stopped at the WM there and a lady working there said WM was going to shut down the smaller stores for the larger regional stores. At the time, I think they had one in FL or TX to start off with.

Just like any other type(s) of products, I tend to shop around for the better prices anyway. Sometimes, it's pretty close and other times there are big differences but I tend to look at Jamestown Distributors, Defender, and Hopkins Carter before WM.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 04:42   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Can't really blame WM, their job is to sell stuff and if people don't come go to the stores to buy it why would they waste money having it. The only people to blame are the cheap sailors!
I beleive you got that upside down. It's not the cheap sailors who ruined it for WM. It's the greedy upper management. IMO if you get in into the business of selling stuff (any type of stuff) then sell it at a price and on the conditions your customer base can afford and expand as a result. Otherwise get out of the business and let someone else more savvy handle those customers. Apparently, online businesses were those "more savvy".

And you know what? If the WM top brass thinks they've just outwitted someone by emphasising "lifestyle items" over their former hardcore marine business they have a surprise coming. Because not only there are tons of brick competitors to contend with but the online stores and resellers will kill their lifestyle side just as they're killing their marine parts side. Whoever in their right mind came up with the idea that since they can't compete with online in parts business they somehow can compete with online in the lifestyle items business? Aahh, the beauty of $200K+ Ivy League education and they still come out stupid.
Island Time O25 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 05:00   #71

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Before WM went all out to expand to having a brick and mortar store on every harbor towns street corner, there were many more small chandleries and a couple of other national chains vying for our business. WM was a larger discounter that managed to buy up or drive most competitors out of business but even after doing all that, their business model still wasn't viable so they started raising prices until they're now at the point where their stuff is as expensive as all those chandleries they drove out of business used to be, and they still can't seem to make it work so they are switching to an emphasis on "lifestyle" items. If I were a WM employee, I'd be looking around for a new job because this won't end well.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 05:38   #72
CLOD

Boat: none

Kind of like that other WM isn't it?

Walmart
Old 26-01-2015, 06:38   #73

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Kind of like that other WM isn't it?

Walmart
Very much like them, except I haven't heard anything about WalMart closing stores or changing what they sell.
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2015, 06:51   #74

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Thank you James.
Old 26-01-2015, 06:53   #75

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

When I started this thread it was not to hope that it becomes a WM bashing exercise, but more so, to express concerns that for years we have been promoted to by WM as a boaters store.

That focus is changing, and I don't think boaters will benefit from it. Yes, I pay more at WM in many cases, but there are two on the way to my boat. At least it is available, and I can chose not to buy, couldn't I? At least the product is there. With the changes, that already is dissipating, and that does not serve the sailing community well.

Tags
marine, sail, sailing