Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-07-2010, 22:52   #46

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1
I weighed 240. I'm 5'8". I went to the gym and did cardio for 45 minutes and lifted for an hour and 15 minutes 4-6 days a week. I ate EVERYTHING! 2 of a lot of stuff, and I weighed 240. I was strong and I had big arms and a big chest and I was still a fat bastard. I couldn't afford the gym anymore so I quit and dieted. I weighed 235.
I quit dieting and also developed a milk allergy. Not too bad but bad enough that I stopped buying milk. I lost 40 lbs, down to under 200 for the first time since '93.
No milk, you eat 2 cookies. With milk, I think I can pound a whole box of cookies solo.
Now I buy a quart of rice milk sometimes and eat a 1/2 dozen cookies, maybe once a week, sometimes every other week.
Now I weigh 210.
I think that with some exercise, not lifting much, and a couple more salads a week I can keep it under 200 and not have to run screaming every time I see the cookie aisle.
It was kind of nice to look like a power lifter, at least from the chest up, but I still looked like a pizza eater from the belt to the chest.
Maybe I'll get it right soon.
sww914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 00:29   #47
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

LOL!!! This is great - I hope everyone's enthusiamsm and support continues... and doesn't wane like my enthusiam for exercise will!

To address a few people's concerns (it is great that you are making me use the fat between my ears to think of these things - it doesn't happen often!!):

- This is not a sudden and huge change in lifestyle. I changed my lifestyle in 2006 when I lost 12kg using the Weightwatchers system. Then slowly the ice cream, chocolate cookies and other treats snuck back in. I simply wish to cut back (gently) on the bad, processed things.

- When we closed our Dive Centre and lost our pool, my daily swim ceased. That has been and will be the major change - upping the exercise.

- Last month, when I went to collect my stepdaughter from the airport, there was toffee coated popcorn in. I bought 20 bags because you hardly ever see toffee coated popcorn in Kuwait! I managed to wolf them down in 18 days. So... When I collected my step son from the airport four days ago, I bought another twenty, and decided to use them as a treat when I achieve goals. If I achieve the goals I will get one a fortnight. I feel that is a good thing.

I have been at this for a week now - and was stuck on 82.9kg..... It wouldn't go away!! This morning the scales said 82.4kg. Who knows, they might be back up tomorrow morning, but at least I know they're not broken!!! And at this rate, another week and I'll get another bag of popcorn.

Reward is good!! Treats are good!! I will not binge!!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2010, 11:14   #48

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
I lost 6 lbs in 3 days in a hard interisland sail and working to get the boat ready. My friend who went permanent cruising lost about 40 lbs since he started doing a lot of boat prep and sailing.
In these cases it is less food intake and harder work. Neither of us were seasick.
Just a thought!
kind regards,
Old 17-07-2010, 11:53   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
The cookies reminded me of one time I had told a friend about how well I was doing in my quest to lose weight. I went grocery shopping right after and bought a box of cookies, a liter of ice cream and a 2 liter bottle of ginger-ale. I remember the clerk commenting on cookies and ale...lol

None of that saw the second sunset.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 00:59   #50
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I've been a naughty girl...

So yesterday, I weighed myself in the morning - 82.4kg... That's half a kilo off. So we went to the cinema last night. I couldn't help myself. I had to have a box of caramel popcorn - and have you seen the size of those boxes???

Yup, you guessed it, up to 82.6 this morning. It doesn't count though - only the weekly weigh-in counts. I think it's just a little obsessive to weight oneself every day... don't you?

On the bright side, I ran a km, and walked a further 6km yesterday according to my pedometer...!
Old 18-07-2010, 01:30   #51

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
There is one food regiem ( not calling it a diet cos diets are choice and dont work)
that is guaranteed to work. Its been applied to millions round the world and worked in every case.

STARVATION

If it doesnt go in, it cant go on.

Over the last few years in the UK there have been so many fat programmes on tv, and every time ive seen a fat person on camera, they sit there whinging about being fat and they nearly always have food in one hand.

I spent 13 yrs living with a step father who is 5'8 tall and weighs 320 lbs.
I got so sick of his food obsession and the fatness that was at the centre of his life.

Its hard work to excerise enough to burn off all those calories. If 3000 calories is a days working out, why not cut out the food AND work out, that way you loose weight faster.

Stop eating so much
Old 18-07-2010, 01:54   #52
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Its hard work to excerise enough to burn off all those calories. If 3000 calories is a days working out, why not cut out the food AND work out, that way you loose weight faster.

Stop eating so much
LOL!!! Thanks for your kind and understanding words!!

I did ask for you to shout at me when I'm naughty - but have to admit it came as a surprise! Thanks!! I think....
Old 18-07-2010, 02:00   #53

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Your welcome Kate.

I just dont see what all the fuss is about.
Its a simple scientific law, food in, fat goes on unless you burn it off.

If you dont want or cant work it off, dont put food in.

THe starving peoples of the world are the ones who dont have a fat problem.
Old 18-07-2010, 02:02   #54

ONLY eat when you are hungry
Laidback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 06:00   #55

Boat: Edel 665 23' - Reckless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
ONLY eat when you are hungry

So I should eat all the time?

That has been my biggest problem to my weight gain, I get hungry I eat.
problem wasn't what I was eating, I tried just switching what I would grab when I was hungry so rather then the cookies, it was fruits and veggies.
Still wasn't losing weight.

I know try to eat 4 small meals a day and have 3 light snacks between those meals. I count my calories, to make sure I am staying below my calorie requirement. I also avoid eating after 7pm at night, if I do get hungry after 7pm, I drink a large glass of water. I ad some lime or lemon juice to my water to add some flavor, I was a soda freak and fruit juices. So plain water doesn't always cut it for me, so by adding some flavor with the lemon or lime juice it fills the void.
I have also added daily vitamins to help the body. Walk every day for at least 30 mins. some light weight training and other cardio.

I take a photo of myself in just my underwear, and take measurements. I have had times of very little weight loss, but the measurements have changed for the better so I know it is working.

Drastically cutting calories, while it make work for the first few pounds you body will go into starvation mode. The weight doesn't come off as quickly, my energy level drops to an almost unmanageable level, and when I did allow myself a "cheat" day, or if I fell off the wagon, the weight would come back almost instantly.

Slow and steady so far as been the most effective for me.

I was 6'3" 315lbs, size 44 waist, I am now 270lbs, size 40 waist. it has taken almost 6 months. I have a goal of 225lbs. I do have a larger frame so I am never going to be the skinny guy, but in my heyday playing football I was 220-230, and I was very trim.

But honestly every pound I lose I feel better, I have more energy and the next pound gets easier. I don't always notice the change myself, but when I meet people who haven't seen me for a few months, or even weeks, and they notice it, I get even more motivated.
Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 12:11   #56

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Controlling the hunger switch is the key in my opinion. Its very hard. Many things trigger my desire to eat and I get the munchies a lot during the day. I've found that keeping physically busy and away from the refrigerator helps quite a lot. No sodas, just a couple beers and nothing to eat or drink after 7PM.
Americans, especially, have developed quite a food culture. All social gatherings are centered on food events. More than 1/3 of citizens here are overweight or obese. Kids are rewarded with food and given food whenever they want nowadays and that's not helping. When I was a kid (here goes another oldtimer story) there were 3 meals a day. No other eating times. No snacks and lunch was more often than not a glass of cool aid and a peanut butter and jelly sandwich (just one). There weren't any fat kids around that I remember. Now food is everywhere and kids are eating at all times during the day. Once you've learned it that way then its hard to forget and start over.
This is not an easy thing to master but Anjou is absolutely right. If it doesn't go in it can't add weight and a bit of activity will allow you to lose.
kind regards,
Old 18-07-2010, 13:20   #57

Boat: Bluewater 420 CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckless View Post
So I should eat all the time?

I now try to eat 4 small meals a day and have 3 light snacks between those meals.
I can't believe that folks think this is normal. If I ate that much I would be huge. I eat 3 meals a day without any snacks. Breakfast is just oats. Evening meal is just one course. I do 10 minutes exercise only per day, and guess what: I'm not overweight and I save alot of money by not buying all the extra food to make me fat. I save on gym memberships because I don't need it. I suppose there will be some who think I'm just lucky but no, I used to be heavier until I retrained my brain on what was a "normal" food intake. BTW. I'm not trying to be rude,but do you think this might be why Australia and USA have the highest percentage of obese people in the world?

Greg
Old 18-07-2010, 13:38   #58
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjou View Post
Your welcome Kate.

I just dont see what all the fuss is about.
Its a simple scientific law, food in, fat goes on unless you burn it off.
I think the problem might be that I love food, I miss the naughty but nice food I have gotten used to since I started earning my own money and buying what I wanted. It is months and months since I had a Dunkin' Donuts nutella donut (I'm having visions now, I can see the chocolate icing on the top, and smell the nutella filling). I miss it.

I truly understand the simple scientific facts. My brain is not the problem.

No matter how much I try, I can't drum up the same enthusiam for carrot sticks with labneh. I eat a lot of them, just as I eat a lot of melon and cucumber now... but it's just not the same... and sometimes my body just doesn't listen to my brain - it goes into auto-pilot and finds treats out there....
Old 18-07-2010, 13:40   #59

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Quote:
Americans, especially, have developed quite a food culture. All social gatherings are centered on food events.
This is not an American thing. Most if not all societies use "food events" for social gatherings. Its a sedentary lifestyle coupled with the types of food we (in North America) eat, not that we socialize over "food events". Its not even fat, its an over abundance of fat in our diets.

I carry my groceries home in a backpack. It takes me around 2 hrs. to grocery shop. Believe me I choose carefully, however as I stated in an earlier post, its time for another increment in my dietary change.

I enjoy spending time with friends at a restaurant but now I try to eat sensibly. I was at one time addicted to cheesburgers and french fries. Now if I have a burger (seldom) it is with a side of salad, no fries, no rice and I find that satisfies me. I almost never go to a fast food joint although Tim Horton's serve a very nice meal (soup and sandwich) at a good price.

I eat rice and beans often and only long grain brown rice.
Quote:
BTW. I'm not trying to be rude,but do you think this might be why Australia and USA have the highest percentage of obese people in the world?
Its spreading (no pun intended) and I see an epidemic of obesity in Canada now.

Anyway, enough of the soap box and good luck to all of us.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2010, 14:18   #60

Boat: Edel 665 23' - Reckless
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleebana View Post
I can't believe that folks think this is normal. If I ate that much I would be huge. I eat 3 meals a day without any snacks. Breakfast is just oats. Evening meal is just one course. I do 10 minutes exercise only per day, and guess what: I'm not overweight and I save alot of money by not buying all the extra food to make me fat. I save on gym memberships because I don't need it. I suppose there will be some who think I'm just lucky but no, I used to be heavier until I retrained my brain on what was a "normal" food intake. BTW. I'm not trying to be rude,but do you think this might be why Australia and USA have the highest percentage of obese people in the world?

Greg
It isn't normal Greg, glad to hear you are doing well. It is true that the USA and Australia have the highest percentage of obese people. With less people having home cooked meals IE not out of a box premade high calorie foods. When restaurants promote hamburgers that are 2000 calories, it isn't a wonder.

I do what I do because it works for me. I am not having 3-4 large meals a day, I have 3-4 small meals, breakfast 1/2 cup oatmeal with some fruit, lunch 1/2 sandwich and 1 cup of soup, dinner small chicken breast or some fish, a small salad and some other veggies. Snacks I go for fruits, nuts veggies.

There was a time in my life coffee was all I would have for breakfast, get too busy at work to eat, come home starving eat a very large meal, because I was starving. I would get hungry at 10-11pm, and go grab cookies or a bag of chips.

Controlling portion size doesn't work for me, I have done that, did it for over a year lost 60lbs, gradually I would eat a little more, or have a cheat snack, my body needed more then I was giving it. So when it got extra it would store it as fat, and I gained the weight back and then some.

My current diet has been arranged by a nutritionist with over 35 years experience. Every person is different, my bother eats like a horse, considers it a work out of he has to reach for his beer, yet he is the same height as me, and weights 155lbs. He has been like that all his life, good for him.

I eat it sticks around so I eat healthier meals more often, then I don't feel hungry I don't get cravings like I did before. I would much rather not be NORMAL as you describe it, then go through my day feeling hungry and craving food.
Reckless is offline   Reply With Quote