Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2010, 14:40   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
Your compass is off 180° on that one, Dan: the first of the famous twelve steps in AA is "We admitted we were powerless over alcohol—that our lives had become unmanageable."

Maybe a closer idea to what you're aiming for would be something along the lines of "the first step to solving a problem is to admit that you have one."

BTW, I'm a fat bastard, too.
You are right. Perhaps my sentiment is more, "You have to admit that you are a fat bastard and you have 100% control about making the decision to change that."

I understand addiction and perhaps the alcohol addiction is not the best parallel.

I will always be a fat bastard no matter what I weigh. I will always be a smoker even if I quit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaza Dana View Post
So yesterday, I weighed myself in the morning - 82.4kg... That's half a kilo off. So we went to the cinema last night. I couldn't help myself. I had to have a box of caramel popcorn - and have you seen the size of those boxes???

Yup, you guessed it, up to 82.6 this morning. It doesn't count though - only the weekly weigh-in counts. I think it's just a little obsessive to weight oneself every day... don't you?

On the bright side, I ran a km, and walked a further 6km yesterday according to my pedometer...!

Aaza Dana - You asked us not to be nice. Weigh yourself everyday. Reinforce where you are every day. You did not have to have a box of caramel popcorn.

Having a box of caramel popcorn was more important than losing weight.

I am a movie fan and a popcorn fanatic. I switched to air popped popcorn with no salt. I switched to black coffee. You get used to these things. Once I reached a goal I switched back to buttered popcorn. I traded something else for it.

Great news on the exercise. Do you know how many kms you have to run to burn the calories in a box of caramel popcorn?

When I started my diet my daily intake was like this.

Bfast - Slimfast powdered shake with non-fat milk. Black coffee
Mid morning - Bowl of mixed tropical fruit.
Lunch - Pineapple.
Afternoon - Banana
Evening - 2 soda crakers, 1 tomato sliced, 1 can tuna in brine, mustard to garnish.
4 liters of water throughout the day.

In the first 2 weeks I lost 1 pound per day. At the end of 2 weeks I had lost over 14 pounds. I was running a calorie deficit of about 1500 calories. I wasn't counting calories it just worked out that way.

I am not saying this is how anyone else should do it. But I have to tell you that getting on the scale every morning and seeing another entire pound gone was highly motivating.

When I hit 20 lbs I celebrated and had a real meal at Black Angus. Sirloin Steak, salad and veggies. I tossed the potatoes out.

If you gained a 1/2 kilo in a day. You could gain 3 1/2 in a week.

You got on the scale after falling off the wagon and didn't like what you saw so you are thinking, "Don't get on the scale." - Bad idea. The scale is your conscience and doesn't lie.

Everything, everything, everything you put in your mouth counts. If you put it in you have to burn it off. It is way easier not to put it in.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 04:59   #62
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
reporting for duty ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FatGuy.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	17818  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 06:41   #63
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Gord May, you are absolute class x x x
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 08:18   #64

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtbates View Post
The easiest way to lose weight is to reduce intake, duh. An easy way to do that is to load your plate as normal. Now remove 1/3, 1/4. 1/10, whatever, but do reduce it by some amount. After dinner get up and walk around the block..
Thats how the French girls control their weight. If you watch them in a restaurant, they will order the healthy option, something tasty on a fresh salad base, then leave 1/3 on the plate. Same with lunchtime crepes

Kate, the weight increase after the cinema is likely to be just water, lots of popcorn makes the you thirsty, so the body says to itself store water now! As someone else said earlier they loose weight when exercising because the blood is now being filtered much more quickly so removes excess water from the body. If you start to drink plenty the body quickly realises it doesn't need to store water so gets rid of it, hence lots of trips to the loo. Given the climate your in, lots of water

Good luck, oh and me? I have the opposite problem. Crohn's can wipe 2 stone off me in a month. Its stable now and has been for a while so my weight has crept up, but the days of formal Mess functions and decanter of Port each are long gone

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 08:27   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Anyway, I have just been really good and had a lovely English apple, none of those sour green French things here please

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 11:00   #66

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
The key to losing weight is motivation. When I wrestled in high school the strong desire to compete and win allowed me to keep my weight down by eating less. For the 20 years after finishing high school, Navy fitness standards provided sufficient motivation for me to keep in shape. If you really want to lose weight and have sufficient motivation, you will be successful.

After retiring from the Navy, my weight crept up slowly until I realized adverse impact on my health. I started drinking two glasses of water about 20 minutes before eating. There is a physiological reason this works: the sensation of fulness in your stomach doesn't register in your brain until about 20 minutes after eating. Anthropologically speaking, that was to enable hunter-gatherers to eat quickly before being run off by sabre-toothed tigers. I also started doing the best exercise ever for losing weight: the pushaway (i.e. not eating second helpings of anything). I lost 20 pounds in a few months.

I need to start that protocol again as my pants are once again getting a little too tight around the waist. Now what will provide adequate motivation for that?
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 11:18   #67

Boat: HiStar, Sundeck, 48 feet--

I like the bathtub analogy—calories have to drain out faster than in—or your tub overfloweth—

Reading a Scientific American article a few years ago—“What Fuels Fat?” by Jeffery Flier and E. Maratos-Flier, September 2007- friends and I field tested an aid to the exercise—less calorie regnum –that is Drink Olive Oil

The idea is to turn off the store fat signal in the gut—My system…… is a little oil before and second dose about an hour after your meal.

Go ahead ---its your body----

Ah, the Sea..." Emily D.
LexLocal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 11:37   #68
Armchair Bucketeer

As Oscar Wilde said: "I can resist anything - except temptation"

Fortunately for me food has never been one of my temptations, otherwise I would weigh 2 ton So whilst I can empathise on the temptation side of things, not a lot of inherent understanding on the food specific thing - well, apart from the fact I should eat a bit more

But I will re-iterate what I said earlier, the less your food goes through a factory the more you can eat And it tastes better .........that doesn't just mean a diet of Lentil Surprise ("Surprise! it's f#cking lentils again" ).

I am not much by the way of a cook (it's on the list ) apart from being a black belt with a frying pan and I don't excercise much (it's on the list ) and I still smoke (it's on the list ) and rarely drink (split a bottle of red with my father once a week - and a hard core binge a couple of times a year ) but all that was true even when my weekly beer consumption was around 80 pints a week (mid 80's to mid / late 90's - am a bit fuzzy on all the details ) and I never got overweight, let alone developed the classic beer belly. Nowadays I will admit am in no danger of getting a Brad Pitt style washboard - but I can still see..........my feet

The secret? (apart from all that clean living ) I put down to being brought up on food that whilst not always "healthy" mostly didn't come from a packet, or a tin let alone prepackaged in "meal" form (when did TV dinners become aspirational as (M&S) food in the UK??!!). So my normal is different to others. Not to say that I don't also eat (and sometimes binge on) crap food - and can still eat the odd Vienetta in 1 sitting! And portion size is important - but I do only stop when no longer hungry.

Of course I found an Arctic Roll on sale the other day - couldn't resist for old times sake (70's) I could only manage half and left the rest in slices in a bowl on the kitchen worktop overnight. In the morning it had melted in the same way as plastic does under a blowtorch Actually it looked more like it had simply given up on life and committed suicide I reckon you could home make one of those and eat 15 foot of it for the same weight gain............

..........if you want a more varied diet. and more of it. start to cook (not just assemble from a selection of packets). I'd start experimenting on cakes

Mmmmmm......might be a best selling diet book there "Eat cakes and lose weight"
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 12:04   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laidback View Post
ONLY eat when you are hungry
I really disagree. Ruining your appetite is probably one of the best things you can do for yourself. Once you know what you're supposed to eat, and how much of it you're supposed to, a steady and constant intake of quality food throughout the day will keep you from getting hungry. I haven't felt a jab of hunger pains in over a year, and haven't been hungry in roughly the same.

If you keep your blood sugar stable throughout the day you will not overeat. The human body evolved eating all the time, certainly not the current "let's calorie bing ourselves three times a day" routine that's so common these days.

I could write several pages on this topic, but the short and sweet of it is that if you have enough fat/protein/complex carbs every 2-3 hours, you will not get that hungry.

Figure out what your calorie needs are. Take a few days and study everything you eat to get an idea of what you're putting in your body. I think if most people did that they would be shocked at the amount of quasi-food they are ingesting, and how much is processed starch (ie: sugar).
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 12:05   #70
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Wrong Way....

Up to 83.1 this morning - the heaviest reading ever...

DH redeemed himself, tho, by pointing out that it's all muscle mass from the exercise I'm doing. And a student in yoga today swore blind that I'm getting thinner....

I love friends, they sometimes say the nicest things!

But - to be fair (apart from the cinema and popcorn which I had to eat - no choice there!), I'm doing fairly well in the new healthy lifestyle. I had to make a choice today, between doing my correspondence course and getting on the X-track... I chose the X-track!!! and didn't want to get off, so upped the time and distance.

Shaggy has to be the best workout companion (esp: I like to move it)!
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 12:59   #71
Armchair Bucketeer

Oh.........

........you also eat with your eyes! Restaurants know this and so do food manufacturers (fast food and in supermarkets - even if the reality does not match the packet ).

So use the same trick (on yourself) by making the food you prepare look good - very easy to have your meal half gone by the time it's hit the plate and / or the results looking like a car crash - even if very edible. Pretend you are serving to impress - and it's the little things that matter, garnish & TLC are not usually fattening

Every little helps
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 13:24   #72

Another simple aid to eating less - use smaller plates. DOJ is right when he says you eat with your eyes, but the eyes can be easily fooled. Try it and see. When you next make a meal for two people use different size plates and put the same portions on each plate. Then stand back and look.

If you have a big plate you'll put whatever quantity of food on it that is required to fill the plate. The same is true of smaller plates. The trick is to find a plate that matches your stomach and not a plate that's way bigger than your stomach.
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 13:41   #73

Accountability to self is the key

Aaza,

I'm a 51-year-old male, fairly typical (I think) American middle class professional. I have a wife, a daughter, a home, and a job, that all conspire to encourage my bad habits (TV, beer, and fatty food) and discourage the good ones (exercise and good sleep). Consequently, I very slowly put on weight over the years, going from 175 pounds as a young man to 210 on my 50th birthday. I tried all the silly little notions about losing weight, most of which have been listed on this thread, and got nowhere at all.

Then I decided to apply a principle that I use at work, with myself and the people who work with and for me: What gets measured, gets done. In other words, when we hold ourselves and each other accountable for what we do, there tends to be a remarkable rate of achievement.

So, I started weighing myself every morning without exception, and writing the number down on my calendar. I set a goal to get down to 180 pounds, and set simple rules for myself which I refused to violate. I would allow myself just one meal per day, and a light one at that, whatever my family was having for dinner, until I got down to that 180 pound goal. No snacks, no alcohol (I love beer!), no exceptions. More exercise helps get there faster.

It took me 4 weeks to lose 30 pounds. And since then, I continue to weigh myself every morning. If the number is below 180, I eat whatever I feel like. If it is over 180, I go back to the previous regimen of a light dinner only. This morning, I was 178. The longer it goes, the easier it is. But it will only work if I know the number. Of course, there is a fluctuation in the number, noise around the signal, but I don't allow myself that excuse. The number is 180. Under is OK, over is not, and I refuse to let myself off the hook.

There are a million little tricks that variously work for different people at different times to control their balance of intake and exercise so they lose or maintain weight. But NOT ONE of them will work for very long if you do not measure the results and hold yourself accountable for your actions.
Good luck with your efforts. It will be worth it in the end!
Gator81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 13:46   #74

@Gator81 - I think that all the "tricks" taken together, including measurement and monitoring, will make a difference. Eating less in the first place, eating less prepared/ready-meal food and exercising more will all help. The measurement then provides reinforcement that the process is working (or not )
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2010, 18:57   #75
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
This thread has some great advice. As a overeater- comfort eater but one that wants to live for a while- I am going to
1. Weigh myself daily.
2. Only eat unprocessed food and for right now-breakfast and lunch.
3. Not let myself off the hook.
4. My beginning weight is 217. See my avatar?- that is motivation for me.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote