Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2012, 08:45   #1

Question on Boat Suitability

Hello all, new user here with a question. So I have been out of work with this recession now for two years, and am starting to think that an early retirement and taking to the sea might not be such a bad idea. I have some sailing experience from when I was younger. I owned a laser and sunfish as a teenager, did some crewing on a J24, and rented an O'Day 25 a few times in my thirties. Granted with the big boat, I spent more time motoring than sailing and it was on a lake, but a I figure a little practice I will be ready for much more. I have a few bucks saved up, so I am not looking for some salvage job of a boat to take off in (I am not nuts), but I was hoping to get some feedback on a boat that I really feel drawn to. It is a very traditional looking craft, which I like. Who knows, maybe I was a viking in a past life .

60ft Viking Ship replica Buit in Norway 60ft Viking Ship replica Buit in Norway - eBay item number 130664106400

So what can the experts here advise me on in regards to this craft, will it do what I want? Sail the seven seas, and find adventure (while hopefully keeping me fairly safe)?

Thanks in advance for the help I am about to receive.
magnaubera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 08:55   #2
cruiser

Re: Question on boat suitability

Dude that thing looks Sweet I say Go for it!
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 09:01   #3
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

When a 60' vessel with twin diesels is on sale for $5,000, you would not buying a boat, you'd be purchasing a liability.
Old 13-03-2012, 09:17   #4

sweat!! Do you have to say ARRRRGGHHH all the time?? and wear an eye patch??
Dacapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 09:21   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Dude that thing looks Sweet I say Go for it!
Hi Smackdaddy, thanks. I know it is not going to fit everyone's taste, but that is probably why it is such a great deal. I will count you in the plus column for buying it.
Old 13-03-2012, 09:23   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
When a 60' vessel with twin diesels is on sale for $5,000, you would not buying a boat, you'd be purchasing a liability.
I was suspicious as well, but I really think it is just a niche boat. So many people want these new styled boats like Hunters and Catalinas, that I think a hidden gem like this can be found. At least that is what I am hoping. I have emailed the seller to ask a few questions, I will post back here once I hear back from him/her.
Old 13-03-2012, 09:26   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dacapo View Post
sweat!! Do you have to say ARRRRGGHHH all the time?? and wear an eye patch??
Hi Dacapo, I think you are confusing Vikings with Pirates. This is a Viking ship, not sure what they say, guess I will have to consult my hagar comics to get you an answer on that. Plus no eye patch, but I think it would really get people's attention if I got one of those Viking helmets with the horns on it. haha j/k
Old 13-03-2012, 09:37   #8

Boat: Krogen 58' Xiao Xiu
Send a message via MSN to JayCall

Did you read the red print on the Ebay listing? Diesels are shot due to water intrusion, hull needs massive work, just moving it will be a major undertaking. Unless you are prepared to spend unlimited amounts of time and money to own a replica museum piece that may or may not take you anywhere, you should just enjoy the pictures!
JayCall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 09:40   #9

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Take a closer look at the pictures - the picture with the sail up does not look current. The pictures with it sitting on the dock looking all beat up looks more current.

It looks like it will need a LOT of work. New engines..etc.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 09:49   #10

Boat: C & C 27 Abby Normal

that thing would ne like draging a box car threw the watr.
NACRADUDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 09:53   #11

Boat: Reinell 26 "Tobi Maru

Couple things: looks like a square rig, upwind sailing will be very poor compared to a more modern design and forget single-handing. JayCall also noticed "water intrustion" She looks to be wooden, and would most likely need to be replanked in at leat part. Dude, that boat is one of 2 things: a money pit time bandit or a sea-coffin. Go she her in person. bring a screwdriver and poke everything made of wood. If it is at all soft, walk away.
Old 13-03-2012, 09:56   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NACRADUDE View Post
that thing would ne like draging a box car threw the watr.
lol. box car ftw.
doghouse_4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 10:09   #13
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnaubera View Post
Hi Dacapo, I think you are confusing Vikings with Pirates. This is a Viking ship, not sure what they say, guess I will have to consult my hagar comics to get you an answer on that. Plus no eye patch, but I think it would really get people's attention if I got one of those Viking helmets with the horns on it. haha j/k
Sorry to be picky - but it's "Hagar" - with a capital h.
smackdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 10:25   #14

What do you really want to do? Be the talk of the anchorage or just go sailing? That's a lot to maintain even if it's not a project.... Just sayin'...

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2012, 11:17   #15

Jaycall, that is a good catch and one I missed. How much would it be to replace the engines if they really are shot? What about using a couple outboards instead? 2 50hp outboards should be able to move it in and out of harbor right? And the rest of the time, I would just be sailing. I just bought a book by Lin and Larry Pardey and they did not have any motor at all, so a couple outboards seems almost like overkill. Besides, I could use the space where the diesels are to store rum (j/k).

Maytrix, I did see that it may need some sprucing up, but time is something I have in abundance right now. I planned on just rolling up my sleeves and getting to work. I would live on it while i prepare it for voyaging.

Nacradude, the sport is supposed to be an expensive way to go nowhere SLOWLY. If I wanted to go fast, I would be looking at a speedboat or one of those America's Cup catamarans. I just want to get there in style and on my own schedule.

Which leads me to Chechako, I want to sail, but any thing worth doing is worth doing with some flair and pizazz. Paris Hilton likes to get drunk, but she likes it better when everyone is watching her do it. I am that way too.

And Smackdaddy, that is a good catch. I should have capitalized Hagar. The rule is always capitalize proper names and comic book characters right? lmfao. Actually, that does bring up a question. I always capitalize the first letter of usernames as well, however sometimes people have specific capitalization within the name: all lowercase, all upercase, leet speak style, etc. etc. What is the correct way to handle that?

Thanks again to everyone. You are definitely giving me a lot to think about. When I first posted, I was afraid people would tell me I was crazy and not to do it. It seems like what I am hearing is mostly cautious support. I can do it, and the boat should be perfect for what I need, except that it may need a bit of work (which I am totally ok with). Please keep the advice flowing, this is a major life decision for me, and I don't want to screw it up.