Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-04-2014, 00:12   #1

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Kayak to Bermuda

Here's something to yak about: I have several bar acquaintances who are warming up to try this trip. Why? I dunno, but these are serious and experienced youngish sailors and watermen with real tripping kayaks, not posturing poseurs with recreational polyethylene boats from KayaksRUs.

The three guys (they want a fourth) also seem to have the physicality I imagine such an endeavor would require. They feel they can cover ~50 miles per day, can continuously paddle at speed for up to 36 hours, if required, and are confident they can solve the logistical issues of food and water. So we can skip all the posts about why the plan won't work, is too dumb, dangerous, or whatever grinds yer axe.

The question regards the course to allow for the set of the Gulfstream. They anticipate leaving from Florida to gain both Easting and Northing while transiting the Stream. But from where, given the proposed parameters?

Recalling the learning and fun many of us had monitoring Boatman61's recent TransAt trip, it seemed appropriate to me to raise the issue here.

Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 01:06   #2

Boat: Mac 26X
Re: Kayak to Bermuda

Commenting to subscribe...and say WOW as a kayaker I can't even imagine 2+ weeks at sea. And I don't honestly think that's practical (50 miles/day) but then I'm neither youngish nor fit ;-)

I hope if this happens you'll keep us in the loop!!! I wish them well!
Old 27-04-2014, 05:51   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

That would be a quite a trip!

If they leave from Florida to catch a ride on the Gulf Stream, I figure they'd start where the Stream is closest to shore, so maybe near Stuart. Looking at the Gulf Stream chart, it would appear that they'd need to ride it up to about the latitude of Bermuda before bearing off to the east. Then they'd be threading their way through the numerous large and small eddys which have currents up to a couple of knots.

The hypothetical route I've drawn on the chart is about 1,200 nm, and it doesn't reflect any "zig-zagging" through the eddys in the Sargasso Sea. They say that they can make good 50 nm a day. So, let's assume they can average 6 kts for the 340 nm that they'd be in the Gulf Stream proper, and then 2 kts for the rest of the trip.

340 nm at 6 kts = 57 hours
860 nm at 2 kts = 430 hours
487/24 = 20 days

What kind of load of water and food would they be carrying for a three week trip (with some additional for contingencies)? Let's say four pounds per day, including three liters of water per day. That would be maybe 100 lbs at the start, so doable in a touring kayak.

Frankly, I think they'd be better off departing from the Cape Hatteras area. They'd have to go over that big eddy to catch the favorable currents, but they could still cut the trip down to maybe 800 nm, and 14-16 days. Of course, the eddy field will be different when they actually set off, but it will have the same general features.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kayak route.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	212.9 KB
ID:	80121  
Old 27-04-2014, 06:01   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Kayak to Bermuda

I reckon they'd likely have a safety boat organised for food and water.. and if they had to bail on the attempt for severe weather/health reasons.. keep them light and fast.
Personally I pick Cape Lookout for the jump off..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 06:06   #5

A few stout poles to lash the kayaks together, a bit of canvas, a few more stout poles....
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 06:11   #6
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delancey View Post
A few stout poles to lash the kayaks together, a bit of canvas, a few more stout poles....
Worst thing they could do with a Norther in the Stream..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 07:59   #7

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Have them warm up by trying a short (50 mile) run against 20 knots of wind in the open ocean--that should change their minds.

I remember meeting one of the 4 man rowing boats mid-Atlantic. They were not able to go upwind and pick up the beers I tossed them.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 08:22   #8

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark

http://www.oceanrowing.com/sale/

I started browsing the ocean rowing boats with the thought of doing something simple. The ditch down the east coast or some island hopping. These are expensive boats for this purpose with water tight compartments for sleeping, storage and equipment. They are high tech with watermakers and solar systems. Built to be light and strong.

I hope your friends have fun. Totally doable with proper planning, provisioning and endurance. And I hope a chase boat.

Sent from my SCH-S738C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 27-04-2014, 08:23   #9

...I never said they should leave from Florida.
Delancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 08:26   #10

I miss being young
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 10:51   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by motion30 View Post
I miss being young
Me too! I was just foolhardy in shape enough to go with them.

@donradcliff: I say again, these guys have been rodeo-ing awhile. They all work right here on the water everyday. These ain't boys from Bismark with a dream.
Old 27-04-2014, 12:01   #12
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
Kayak to Bermuda

Didnt a 67year old polish guy just land in florida a coulple of days ago after paddling an expedition kayak across the atlantic? 90+ day crossing? He was also caught in a huge norther crossing the stream.

Edit: link here.
http://bwsailing.com/cc/2014/04/23/k...ntic-crossing/

Dont see any reason a properly fit kayaker with the right equipment would have any trouble with this trip.

Calculating your launch point should be a matter of a realistic estimate of daily passages. Combine thst with the average pace of the stream...

However The stream has numerous back eddies as well that should be considered. All of the stream maps are online with a quick google for the lads.

Would love if they could borrow Boaties spot! Make for some good armchair kayaking - something new for us!

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 14:37   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
Didnt a 67year old polish guy just land in florida a coulple of days ago after paddling an expedition kayak across the atlantic? 90+ day crossing? He was also caught in a huge norther crossing the stream.

Edit: link here.
Kayaker Completes Atlantic Crossing | Cruising Compass ? The Free Weekly Newsletter for Sailors & Cruisers ? ©2013 Blue Water Sailing

Dont see any reason a properly fit kayaker with the right equipment would have any trouble with this trip.

Calculating your launch point should be a matter of a realistic estimate of daily passages. Combine thst with the average pace of the stream...

However The stream has numerous back eddies as well that should be considered. All of the stream maps are online with a quick google for the lads.

Would love if they could borrow Boaties spot! Make for some good armchair kayaking - something new for us!
Oh man! 90 days in a kayak. That takes some doing, even tho it was downhill. I'm probably only good for 9 hours at a stretch now. Imagine the man's cardiovascular conditioning.

A proposed 4th guy is a member of CF. I won't out him but he is doubtful as he doesn't think he can carry enough beer. The other guys are taking watermakers, I believe.

First day I brought home my most serious kayak, a kevlar Looksha, I was mounting a compass and the wife says, "you just spent 3K on a kayak, and now you're cuttting a hole in it?" Wives are like that.

I'm curious about a sag boat. I kinda think that takes some of the adventure out of the game, and I hope they're not packin' EPIRBS:
Do or don't do; there is no try.
Old 27-04-2014, 15:31   #14
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop

Used to do quite a bit of sea kayaking myself down in Baja - both the Pacific and Sea of Cortez sides. Did many 10days plus trips and many 10+ hour per day paddles.

Mind you, we paddeled in everynignt to camp, sleep and eat .

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-04-2014, 16:04   #15
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

If you take the "kayak" design the polish gentlemen used to go transatlantic, it should be relatively easy for someone who knows that design. It would be folly in a conventional kayak.

In a convention boat, Food and water would not be an issue, "evacuating" would require taking a swim and doing a re-entry.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda, Kayak