Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-02-2008, 12:56   #46
Marine Service Provider

Loadsman - Just done breakfast with the the In laws and brought this up. As he has done 40 years odd in the Navy and her 'had to bloody live with him' over that time I thought his input would be interesting.

Me like the the father in law , not even close. I, the 'In laws' and my wife all enjoyed that comment though. We all Thank you for the laugh. Thought the Ma in Law was going to wet her pants when she read that.

I will make one correction though as you were correct on one bit. I'll swap Ntn Hemisphere for the Europe area. Many don't have nukes but the silence from them was rather deafening, one might go as far as saying 'appeared to condone it'. The only point me and the F'n law disagree about. He's old school and still believes the propaganda about nukes saving lives.

F'n law referred to the Leanders, which he has spent a very long time on, as 'complete bitches in a half decent sea'. 'Chunder buckets' was another phrase he used. From the limited time I've spent on them I have no reason to disagree.

I'm sorry but just because you don't like it doesn't mean the truth is not the truth. Chatting with F'n law about this and he doesn't have any problem with what I said. But then he knows our Navy, community and me unlike, may I suggest, some others. As for other Navies I can't comment, they may or may not be the same I don't know so that's why I'm only talking about ours. A bit of a key point I think one or 2 maybe missing.

And to finally finish this navy discussion - I just asked my F'n law about 'Yachtie' v's 'Sailor'. He doesn't find either offensive and regards Sailors as being in the Navy. His words were "until I left (the navy) I was a sailor and part time yachtie, now I'm a full time yachtie except when on XXX's boat when I'm just a 'boat nig....' (then laughed a lot)". XXX's boat is a 65ft power boat that kills lots of Marlins and the like. The mother in law isn't allowed to go out much as she always catches more than the lads, they don't like that

It appears the terms Sailor and Yachtie are used in many ways depending on where you are. Personally I don't have an issue with either except here locally sometimes when if you use Sailor some will in-correctly think you're in the Navy.
GMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 15:02   #47

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Well Gmac, glad you had a laugh. Guess we'll have to agree to disagree. I assume your dad-in-law was one of the baggy-brigade - or the RNZN are a tender lot. "The Leander Class design was noted for strong performance in poor weather and heavy seas. This was made possible through twin rudders, twin propellers and non-retractable fin stabilisers." (source:Leander Class General Purpose Frigate ( Type 12 Improved))
Same story here: LEANDER class Google it.
Maybe he should have laid off the rum.
Lodesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 15:26   #48
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
Guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
That's what our navies have been fighting for.

Quote:
Maybe he should have laid off the rum.
You been speaking to the mother in law as well?

A large amount of the seasickness I'd suggest is many of the crew don't have boating backgrounds so just aren't used to boats moving. The crews usually all come right after a 4-5 days at sea. I suppose to be real fair they aren't to dissimilar to many boats. Maybe it's just the way everyone locally (Navy inc.) tend to joke about how the fishing suddenly picks up when a ship leaves port.
Old 29-02-2008, 23:03   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Without getting to far off topic here, I would have to agree with GMac about alcohol in our armed forces being a problem. It is a huge issue we have with the RNZAF here. Our NZ law allows under age persons to be able to drink as long as they are with Parent or Gaurdian. Young recruits that are actually too young to drink under the normal civilian law, can gain access to cheap Alcohol in the on Base club bars because the Airforce is deemed there "guardian". They will get in trouble only if they cause trouble. So these kids get plastered every weekend and grow up with a this binge drinking mentality, thinking it is OK. It's bad in Civi life as well, but the armed forces should be a little or a lot better at keeping these kids safe.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2008, 23:48   #50
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
For me the distinction between “yachtie” and “sailor” is quite simple.

A yachtie is concerned with brand name and appearances, including racing around buoys as quickly as possible in order to win cheap trophies.

A sailor is someone who understands that “Form follows Function”. He wants his craft to work perfectly; purchasing the equipment needed at discounted prices alongside the commercial fishermen and has too much respect for the sea to madly rush around spouting rules of engagement like the legal eagles yachties aspire to be.

I prefer to be called a sailor and notwithstanding the modern Navy, I know how to sail.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 13:02   #51
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiprJohn View Post
Aloha Pelagic,
Well said! Thank you.
Agree. The second sentence is soooo right in sections of the fleet here.
Quote:
It seems there are several different Navies talked about here. The U. S. Navy did away with the heavy drinking clubs about 25 years ago (except, of course, Navy Air). There was never alcohol allowed aboard ships.
Ours recently canned the daily 'shot of squirt' (rum and grunty rum at that) and was the last to do so I believe. Part of reigning the issue they have in. Anyway the real navy Rum was stopped being made so they switched to Bundaburg, that stuff is more dangerous then paint stripper and is indeed the Devils juice. I didn't realise our Air Force had the same issue as well, bugger.
Quote:
The anti-Nuke comment is out of line.
All depends on where you live and who you believe.
Quote:
But, I digress, this is not a political forum nor a history course.
Agree so I won't ask D O J what that Soviet comment is about even though I really do wanted to know
Old 01-03-2008, 13:58   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Leave the politics out of it all Folks.

Quote:
It seems there are several different Navies talked about here.
It also seems several different meaning's in the term yachties being talked about as well.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 14:50   #53
Marine Service Provider

I'm quite surprised at the wide and varying views on the words 'yachties' and 'sailors' actually. I've never thought they could be used in derogatory form or anyone would take offence at being called either.

I've sailed in alsort of places around the world and everyone called themselves one and/or the other. Never once heard either used in a negative way, excluding some powerboats in the odd bar but usually in a 'fun - sail verses power' sort of a way.

I can understand being called a fizz boat driver many would find offence at though

Whatta ya know, still learning something new everyday.

What about other names sail boaters get called like -
Blow boaters
Rag and stick boys

Anyone have any thoughts on those?
Old 01-03-2008, 18:50   #54

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
I call sail boats fart boats

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 20:19   #55
Marine Service Provider

Fart boats. You mean they go down the harbour billowing piles of noxious fumes out the back?

Something doesn't quite stack up there does it and would you like to buy my yachts carbon credits? I sail a lot so must have a big pile somewhere
Old 02-03-2008, 00:04   #56

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Quote:
Originally Posted by GMac View Post
Fart boats. You mean they go down the harbour billowing piles of noxious fumes out the back?

Something doesn't quite stack up there does it and would you like to buy my yachts carbon credits? I sail a lot so must have a big pile somewhere
No they only go when God farts

Mike
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 06:48   #57
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Whimsical,

You're a twisted person, not to mention funny too......
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 07:10   #58
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Leave the politics out of it all Folks.

It also seems several different meaning's in the term yachties being talked about as well.
I agree with Wheels.

It's not really a thread about politics. It's supposed to be about how the word, "yachtie" is used in various parts of the world. I mean think about it:

I had a good friend who spent a lot of time in Australia. She was over there and in a bar when they asked her what american football team she liked. She said she ROOTS for the Patriots!!

BIG MISTAKE, as I'm sure all you OZ types can verify for me. ha ha

The whole bar stopped and laughed at her, and got to to say it several more times before they let on as to why they were laughing.

So just as with that example, an English word in one part of the world can mean different things to different people, in different places. That's the fun of it.

In my area, yachtie can be derrogatory (sp?) or positive, depending on who you are talking about.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 08:37   #59

Lots of words in the English language has more than one meaning depending on the way it is used. Even the nicest words with only one meaning can be made to sound rude when said in a hostile way.

I paymore more attention to the way words are used and the overtones of the conversation then I do the actual words. To me it wouldn't matter to be called either term.

Call me anything you want just don't call me late for dinner.

On a side note I will say that after spending my time in the Marines I would prefer not to be called a salor. But that is because I associate the term salor with a person in the Navy and well...... I am a Marine.
Daddy's Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 04:23   #60
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
And then there’s Homographs, which are words that are spelled the same but differ in meaning, derivation, or pronunciation [The bandage was wound around the wound.]

Interlinguistic Homographs, where a word spelled & pronounced the same, but has different meanings in different languages [cat = pet in English - cat = fart in French]

Homophones
which are words that are pronounced the same but differ in meaning, derivation, or spelling [rose = flower, and rose =past tense of "rise"]

and Homonyms which are words that are spelled and pronounced the same but have different meanings. [anchor fluke, whale’s tail fluke, fluke = stroke of luck]

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote