Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-09-2010, 11:47   #76

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Quote:
Originally Posted by capn_billl View Post
Mostly the noise factor. Air rifles even larger powered ones just make a loud pop, but a small caliber firearm can be heard for miles.
A subsonic, .22-caliber, rim-fire cartridge shot from a rifle is pretty quiet, yet is still lethal (dangerous). If I could find a similar subsonic round shooting tiny pellets, I would buy a couple boxes for extremely-short-range pest extermination (dang house-chewing rats!).
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:00   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
So I was wondering if an air gun would be considered a fire arm outside of the US??
It is a device whose primary function is to maim, wound or kill. How do you think it will be classified by the authorities?
mintyspilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:07   #78

Boat: not much yet
Unfortunately, the info about noise level is not even close to correct when it comes to the modern high powered airguns.
My 50 requires hearing protection, being only slightly less noisy than a 50 caliber muzzle loader with the same conical bullet.. Louder if you consider loads that produce the same speed. It would not be a bad idea with the 36 either. My 22 rifle is far too loud and powerful for in the house use. It is not louder, but actually makes a lot more noise than the crack of a 22.
In some countries, if it is legal for you to own the gun, it is also legal for you to silence it. In that case, some of the shrouded airguns out there make more mechanical noise than they do at the muzzle.
Ahnlaashock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:16   #79

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahnlaashock View Post
... My 22 rifle is far too loud and powerful for in the house use. It is not louder, but actually makes a lot more noise than the crack of a 22.
The key is to use subsonic (target) cartridges in a .22-rimfire rifle (no "crack" from breaking the sound barrier. It is not much louder than that of an exposed-hammer fall.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:45   #80

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
If I recall correctly, here in Canada an air rifle is not a restricted weapon if its muzzle velocity is less than 152m/s, while those over that mv are considered and must be registered as firearms.
Old 03-09-2010, 13:04   #81

Boat: not much yet
Mark, that should read 22 air rifle.
Lots of people have purchased one of the old lever guns chambered in 22WRF. Was not a heel based bullet, so the case was a little bigger around than the 22 long rifle round. When a 22 LR is fired in that chamber, the case plumps up that little bit, and the gun says, "ploop". Sounds very much like a mini mortar round off the television or something. X ring accurate in those old cut rifled barrels too. Requires a beef up on the extractor if you want it to cycle properly. I am assuming the energy lost to the case expansion is making standard velocities into sub sonics.
Don't know what a sub sonic would sound like out of those longer barrels.
This is one of the reasons the GUV is not in too much of a twist about airguns. There are too many readily available options that are used for the same purpose that are easier to use and more stealthy to boot.
Ahnlaashock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 13:19   #82
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Is an Air Rifle Considered a Firearm ?

Yeah, I know, old thread. Don't shoot me, please.

But.....what about a slingshot? "Stored energy projectile."

I saw one once, off the back of a runabout. Elastic to stern cleats, one guy and two bikini clad girls having a blast launching water balloons.

But I was thinking of the more normal type, from your wrist.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 13:47   #83

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
Yes it can and no if you used it it won't stop someone. It only makes them mad. It's a toy weapon. The really nice ones are a target shooting recreational sport enjoyed by many. It's not a really a serious weapon but some places might consider it one. Other than in competition I know of no serious use for one other than small rodents. They are a lot of fun to shoot at close range.
Not for the rodents.
Old 12-02-2016, 13:51   #84
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Is an Air Rifle Considered a Firearm ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
Yeah, I know, old thread. Don't shoot me, please.

But.....what about a slingshot? "Stored energy projectile."

I saw one once, off the back of a runabout. Elastic to stern cleats, one guy and two bikini clad girls having a blast launching water balloons.

But I was thinking of the more normal type, from your wrist.
Naah.... beer bottles with petrol and concentrated detergent filling...
Load, light the touch paper.. FIRE....!!!

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 16:09   #85
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Uh, I was thinking more about seagulls!
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2016, 20:56   #86

Boat: no boat, I'm a "landlocked" navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trim50 View Post
A friend introduced me to his high power air rifle over the weekend and I was amazed at the power. So I was wondering if an air gun would be considered a fire arm outside of the US??

Since we have scuba tanks...
Depending on where you are, and possibly who discovers or hears about the air rifle, it could amount to nothing, or a whole lot of trouble for you.
alan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2016, 11:10   #87
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan2 View Post
Depending on where you are, and possibly who discovers or hears about the air rifle, it could amount to nothing, or a whole lot of trouble for you.

That's it, my Beeman even through it was a .177 was illegal in Germany as it's muzzle energy was too high, an Olympic Match Air rifle would have been legal though

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2016, 16:06   #88

Boat: no boat, I'm a "landlocked" navigator

As I said in #87, readers are free to take my suggestions or not, for whatever they might think they are worth. I will repeat here, my thoughts.

1. Figure out which ports or places you will be visiting, then do some research, or better yet, contact, if possible, the appropriate embassy or consulate.
2. Ask specific questions, getting, if at all possible, written responses, which should be carefully maintained. Official documents can sometimes save heaps of trouble.

Strikes me that at this point,enough said.
alan2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 01:22   #89

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Make no mistake about it. An air rifle is definitely a firearm throughout Australia.
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-02-2016, 05:55   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
But.....what about a slingshot?
As with all of these questions, the answer is "it depends."

A slingshot is not like... say, a wrench, which has a normal and expected use, but could be pressed into service as a weapon in some circumstances. A slingshot is a different kind of thing, and a thing that has been used as a weapon for millennia. There may very well be some countries in the world that would classify a slingshot as a weapon, and make it every bit as illegal to have as a machine gun. I don't know. You have to check the laws in each and every country that you plan to visit.

But those slingshots made for launching water balloons do present an interesting question. What if your water balloons were filled with ammonia instead? If you are accurate enough with it, you might disable those in an approaching vessel. At the very least, slow them down dramatically. Or, as mentioned, use it for launching a Molotov cocktail?
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote