Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-06-2016, 11:14   #61

Boat: Trident Challenger- 35 feet
Re: If you're going to cruise with firearms, follow the rules (example)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterrat10 View Post
When brain eating zombies become reality I will probably change my tune but what are the odds of that?
Never visited Britain then? You need to load with silver-bullets to stop us by the way.

Old 09-06-2016, 11:16   #62

Boat: 42' Sportfish

Quote:
First having fire arms in a home increases your odds of shooting yourself or a loved one, and innocents more then it protects you.

I doubt true. How many millions of firearms in (U.S.) homes have NOT shot an owner, loved one, or other innocent?

Source? Authoritative, like US DOJ or similar?

(Just a question; not an argument for or against...)

-Chris

Old 09-06-2016, 11:42   #63

Boat: Trident Challenger- 35 feet

Quote:
First having fire arms in a home increases your odds of shooting yourself or a loved one, and innocents more then it protects you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I doubt true. How many millions of firearms in (U.S.) homes have NOT shot an owner, loved one, or other innocent?

Source? Authoritative, like US DOJ or similar? -Chris
Methinks there might be a slight flaw in your argument Ranger?

If we accept that any home containing no guns can possibly be the source of a weapon used in an accidental shooting of yourself/loved one/innocents. Then if even just one of the millions of firearms in (U.S.) homes causes the death of a single yourself/loved one/innocents, then it has in fact increased the odds; Not by much I grant you, but whilst I'm no expert, I strongly suspect that there might possibly have been more than one accidental shooting death since 1776?
Old 09-06-2016, 12:07   #64
I promise to put my pants on

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Kind of a "some haven't" example to disprove the fact that "some have"
Old 09-06-2016, 12:17   #65

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Quote:

If we accept that any home containing no guns can possibly be the source of a weapon used in an accidental shooting of yourself/loved one/innocents. Then if even just one of the millions of firearms in (U.S.) homes causes the death of a single yourself/loved one/innocents, then it has in fact increased the odds; Not by much I grant you, but whilst I'm no expert, I strongly suspect that there might possibly have been more than one accidental shooting death since 1776?

LOL. True.

A lot of the concern about having a gun in the home is based on the statistic that about 2/3 of gun deaths in the US are suicide by firearm.
Old 09-06-2016, 13:09   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Quote:

Take a look at this study from the American Journal of Epidemiology. Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study

The odds of needing to us a gun to defend yourself according to the NRA. NRA Commentary Admits The Odds Of Needing A Gun To Defend Yourself Are Infinitesimal
Old 09-06-2016, 13:17   #67

Boat: Rafiki 37

So, I guess we're off to the guns thread races, so I'm outta here. Have fun ... till the mods close it down.

Bottom line: Follow the laws of the land you are privileged to visit. Don't screw things up for the people who follow you.
Old 09-06-2016, 13:19   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
LOL. True.

A lot of the concern about having a gun in the home is based on the statistic that about 2/3 of gun deaths in the US are suicide by firearm.
Thanks for making my point and if you look at the study above you will see that males in homes with guns had increased risk of suicide then males in homes without guns. Hence my original premise that guns increase risk of harm to loved ones then reduces risks. I am sure having a bathtub in your home also increase risk of slip and fall injuries so we must accept the risk vs benefit.

I am just trying to make the point that the odds of having a gun to make one safer is a persons rationale to carry the firearms aboard their vessel then they are not being realistic.
Old 09-06-2016, 13:26   #69

Your correct Mike. I should have know better then to even clicked on the link. I have not said someone should not have guns or that they should not have guns on all vessels. There are locations and reasons recreational boaters may need guns on vessels but if safety of crew is the rationale and Brown or Polar Bears are not the threat then I do not see a rationale reason to carry guns. I will also be stepping away.
Old 09-06-2016, 14:02   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
So, I guess we're off to the guns thread races, so I'm outta here. Have fun ... till the mods close it down.
My thoughts exactly!
Old 09-06-2016, 14:42   #71

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Take a look at this study from the American Journal of Epidemiology. Guns in the Home and Risk of a Violent Death in the Home: Findings from a National Study

The odds of needing to us a gun to defend yourself according to the NRA. NRA Commentary Admits The Odds Of Needing A Gun To Defend Yourself Are Infinitesimal
I read the study.
Old 09-06-2016, 16:40   #72
Senior Cruiser

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

In the event it was a sincere question about why getting caught messes up experiences for cruisers who follow, it is this: in reaction, the host government places restrictions on the subsequent visiting yachties. In addition, since all the governments we've encountered flag misbehaving yachts and share the information, if you have bought a boat that was involved in criminal activity, it, too, is flagged, and will get you a more serious inspection. Any misbehavior whatsoever makes us look bad to the local residents, and in the poorer areas, can be "rewarded" by hassling.

It is simply that you are either a good will ambassador or a bad one. If you are the latter, the other cruisers will eventually shun you for ruining their environment.

I am now leaving this thread.
Ann
Old 09-06-2016, 17:03   #73
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I cannot recall exactly how many trips I've made to the Bahamas in the last 40 years but a dozen or more. I can't recall being searched a single time during the clearing in process. More likely to be searched by the BDF on patrol and that's when it will hit the fan.

By the way I haven't ever been stopped by the BDF either but hear it's becoming more common.
Probably becoming more common because they've started catching @-holes with undeclared weapons. Which exemplifies Jim's point about more hassles for the following cruisers.
Old 09-06-2016, 17:24   #74
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortuga's Lie View Post
I wonder if PortClydeMe is also thinking of the possibilities of drug/gun/explosive sniffing canines that some authorities use? It would be most prudent to declare and follow the laws of the host country. In the U.S., I certainly appreciate it when people follow the rules, don't you?
Yes, I do. Yet not everyone plying the 7 seas follows those rules. Hence...

The safety and wellbeing of my family members will never take a back seat to rule breakers with malicious intent... within the rules, whenever possible.
Old 09-06-2016, 17:46   #75

I've never had any issues what so ever then again I always declare, thus no issues.

As for this "news" and people getting all worked up? Well, I think people in general should stay away from the TV and newspapers a bit more than they do. It is almost as if peoples entire perception and understanding of reality is based entirely on what they are told on the TV or read in the newspapers these days. They hear or read one thing and all the sudden something becomes this massive issue.

Look, one sailor out of how many? That's right, and many are sailing under arms. It is a none issue.

Tags
cruise, rule

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: