Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2016, 05:20   #46

Re: If you're going to cruise with firearms, follow the rules (example)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Surely one of the basic tenants of any traveller is to respect the laws of the land you are a guest in. If you can't do this, then don't go.
The only question is, why is this so hard for so many people to understand? I mean, talk about a self-evident truth!
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:30   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
The only question is, why is this so hard for so many people to understand? I mean, talk about a self-evident truth!
The alternative is to act in any way one wants but be willing to accept the consequences.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:53   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
The alternative is to act in any way one wants but be willing to accept the consequences.
Very true. Of course, the irony is that few seem to actually be willing to accept the consequences. At least in my experience, those who bluff and bluster the loudest about how they're not going to let anyone else tell them what to do, also whine and squeal the loudest when they get caught and have to face the consequences. Funny how that works, huh?
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:00   #49

No. they hang out in Washington DC
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 06:08   #50
CLOD

Boat: none

I think we are blowing the "problem" out of proportion. MOST people do in fact follow the rules and respect the laws of where they are. Because as a whole laws in most places reflect general acceptable behavior and is fairly common.

It's just that in our modern media world of internet, cell phones, TVs we heard about the few a-holes over and over and over, till we think there are more of them than there really is.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:08   #51
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Very true. Of course, the irony is that few seem to actually be willing to accept the consequences. At least in my experience, those who bluff and bluster the loudest about how they're not going to let anyone else tell them what to do, also whine and squeal the loudest when they get caught and have to face the consequences. Funny how that works, huh?
Yes funny but not funny ha ha.

Also regardless of how one does or does not accept the consequences of his/her actions that does not change the impact on what happens to those of us that follow in the wake.
Old 09-06-2016, 06:22   #52

Boat: Tartan 4100

I wonder if PortClydeMe is also thinking of the possibilities of drug/gun/explosive sniffing canines that some authorities use? It would be most prudent to declare and follow the laws of the host country. In the U.S., I certainly appreciate it when people follow the rules, don't you?
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:44   #53

Boat: Formosa 41

Three Felonies A Day by Harvey Silverglate

How Many Felonies Did You Commit Today? An Interview with Harvey Silverglate - Ulrich Boser

I haven't read the book, but I told a friend, a CT lawyer that most Americans, (US,) were felons. He disagreed. Then he called me a few days later and happened to tell me of a legal issue he had in the past. I kept quiet but when the time was right informed him he was a felon.

"I was never convicted."

"No you weren't but you committed a felony."

What I'm saying is that it's stupid to willfully tempt fate and not declare your firearms in the Bahamas but it's nearly impossible to not be a felon despite our best efforts.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:56   #54

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
Also regardless of how one does or does not accept the consequences of his/her actions that does not change the impact on what happens to those of us that follow in the wake.
I really think this is the key issue for a cruising forum like this. @-holes will be @-holes, and whether they accept the consequences of their behaviour is an individual issue. But it's clear that a few @-holes can ruin things for the vast majority of cruisers who do follow the rules and respect the laws of the lands they visit.

So it's not so much about piling on our "friend" here. It's about community standards and protecting the space for the vast majority of cruisers.
Old 09-06-2016, 08:17   #55

Location: Aground in the Yorkshire Dales, awaiting a very high tide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
...MOST people do in fact follow the rules and respect the laws of where they are...in our modern media world of internet, cell phones, TVs we hear about the few a-holes over and over and over, till we think there are more of them than there really is.
Thankfully, very true.

As an aside and in response to those Colonial Peasants who're advocating that one can send the wife ashore alone, unprotected from Jonny-Foriegner and with a huge sack of laundry, let me just say that an English Gentleman would NEVER contemplate allowing such a thing. Ensure that the little woman splits the laundry into two bags before departing, that way she'll find them much easier to carry.
bobnlesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:30   #56

Boat: Tartan 4100

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Thankfully, very true.

As an aside and in response to those Colonial Peasants who're advocating that one can send the wife ashore alone, unprotected from Jonny-Foriegner and with a huge sack of laundry, let me just say that an English Gentleman would NEVER contemplate allowing such a thing. Ensure that the little woman splits the laundry into two bags before departing, that way she'll find them much easier to carry.
Love it!
Tortuga's Lie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 08:31   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnlesley View Post
Thankfully, very true.

Twas so obvious, one never contemplated mentioning it. Harrumph...

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:10   #58

Boat: Formosa 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
What I do know is that I hope not to follow in his wake into some pleasant cruising destination, for I have found that when incidents like those described above (yotties arrested for weapon violations), life becomes harder for all the other cruisers in the area.

Jim
How would it become harder, Jim? More searches?

If you've declared your firearms their search will reveal that you've followed the law.
Jason Flare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 09:59   #59
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Flare View Post
How would it become harder, Jim? More searches?

If you've declared your firearms their search will reveal that you've followed the law.
I cannot recall exactly how many trips I've made to the Bahamas in the last 40 years but a dozen or more. I can't recall being searched a single time during the clearing in process. More likely to be searched by the BDF on patrol and that's when it will hit the fan.

By the way I haven't ever been stopped by the BDF either but hear it's becoming more common.
Old 09-06-2016, 09:59   #60

Going back to playing the odds. First having fire arms in a home increases your odds of shooting yourself or a loved one, and innocents more then it protects you. Second how will your boat hold up to the AK 47 that is unloaded on your boat when you bust out your 9mm? Third are you going to whip out your gun every time some locals come to sell you their fresh catch because you think they a evil doers? Fourth which is more likely you get killed or assaulted in the Bahamas or you get fined or worse thrown in jail for undeclared weapons? I have never heard a story where a cruiser saved their butt by having a gun on board but I have read about a lot of folks thrown in jail, boats confiscated etc. The realty based on odds is that your gun especially undeclared hidden gun on board will have a detrimental affect on the captain, crew, other cruisers and locals is significantly more likely then the remotely few situation that a gun would be beneficial. If safety of boat and family is your goal then you would not carry a gun on board. Any other choice is ignorant at best.
I am not anti gun. I own and use guns and the majority of people I know have guns.

When brain eating zombies become reality I will probably change my tune but what are the odds of that?
Waterrat10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, rule