Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-03-2010, 17:18   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Furled Sails Podcast

FurledSails - Worlds first sailing podcast

Has anyone checked these guys out? They are great jogging fodder. They really need production help though. The shows sound like they are made on Radio Shack mics and stock sound cards. Very interesting guests though.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 17:41   #2

Longtime Listener

Yes, their production values and interviewing technique are amateurish, and they are limited by their lack of sailing experience, if not their enthusiasm, but they're pioneers in their field nonetheless. It would be a totally different show if the hosts were, say, Steve and Linda Dashew, and they were to fund something better than a kitchen table studio.

Having said that, they have become much better since their first
'cast, and do manage to find and interview very interesting people. The cottage-industry feel to it is only a function of the great publishing opportunities the Internet offers to individuals who can now communicate with far-flung audiences on a shoestring (hey: that's what I'm doing right now!). Ain't democracy wunnerful?
Old 10-03-2010, 18:28   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
I have a bunch loaded on a MP3 player. Some of the folks they get are pretty entertaining and they take a green approach and that also has a lot of appeal for folks new to sailing. They have the only decent Bumfuzzle interview ever done that I know of. Yes, it's a bit amateur, but they can't be making a lot of money off it and you can tell they are sincere in the way they do it. You can learn a lot from the pod casts and hear voices of people you can run across in reading. As always with a bunch of sailors you'll get a fair amount of stories. Should help you in the telling of your own as you acquire them. Telling a good sailing story is part of good seamanship just as any other sailing skill.

It's still nice to listen to something about sailing. You don't find much on TV or other media so hearing people is nice.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 19:27   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
It's still nice to listen to something about sailing. You don't find much on TV or other media so hearing people is nice.
Totally, I just wish I had thought of it. I have 15 years of experience in production and audio editing and feel like I could really turn something like that into a glimmering gem.
Old 10-03-2010, 20:05   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Better production would have been nice but I think the interviews were not even done in a studio. Some were at boat shows where they just went some place and did it. Some may have been Internet connections done long distance. They don't tend to prepare a lot of material before they start and the beginnings of the shows are pretty loose. Sometimes dressing it up only emphasizes the problems more.

It still would be cool to have a nice radio talk show format about Sailing with various people in the marine community coming in. Who knows CF could be going live some day. We could easily do something like a GoToMeeting seminar that can be recorded. That is not outside the box or budget at all. Lots of low cost participation media technology we could do. We clearly have the people we can tap.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2010, 21:28   #6

Boat: Mac 26x
i enjoy listening to this guy about sailing.His name is Svenmhe has been sailing small boats in heavy weather for a long time

FurledSails.com Podcast #96 Sven Yrvind
FurledSails.com Podcast #97 Sven Yrvind 2

This guy knows his stuff,his story is truely amaising
bastonjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 06:51   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pblais View Post
That is not outside the box or budget at all. Lots of low cost participation media technology we could do. We clearly have the people we can tap.
Well if that ever hapens feel free to tap me. In the meantime, those two can keep me company on my jogs production or not.
Old 30-10-2012, 19:45   #8

Boat: Lagoon 40
I've been listening to podcasts from furledsails.com recently and really enjoying the content. I guess I'm a bit behind the times as I only recently discovered podcasts and then had the idea that there might be some interesting sailing stories!

Anyway, I've been working my way through them generally in reverse chronological order, but recently discovered that they seem to end sometime in 2010. Does anyone know what happened to them or is this user error on my part?
Ndavies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2013, 04:22   #9

Boat: Rhodes, Chesapeake, 32
Also curious. Also if furled sails is done, what is similar to replace ?

I love the cottage approach to their show.
Ketchgould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2013, 14:02   #10

Boat: Allied 39
Have you checked out the sailing podcasts?

http://thesailingpodcast.com

Really good interviews

Chuck