Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-02-2014, 05:14   #106
CLOD

Boat: none
Re: Florida Law Enforcement ie; FWC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Damn! We've been spotted boys. Call of the invasion, and retreat back to the hockey rinks .

To be somewhat serious, I am quite disturbed by the increasing police state our two states (US and Canada) are becoming. Fear is the operating principle now. And when people are scared, they'll acquiesce to all sorts of attacks on their rights.

The US is a bit further along the track than us up here in Canada, but we're not far behind. Unfortunately, we seem to import every bad idea you guys get, just five to 10 years later. We tend to ignore the good ones .
You guys are providing worried we will invade and take away your guns and teach you to how to lock your doors.
Old 08-02-2014, 05:42   #107

Boat: Tayana 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Unless it was possession with intent to distribute, it is a misdemeanor .
I admit I don't stay up to speed on current sentencing guidelines but I was under the impression that actually spending 13 months in the hoosegow was reserved for felons. Do you really have to do 13 months for a misdemeanor or was there more to this than simple possession? Maybe a larger amount so there was intent to distribute? That just seems like a lot of time for possessing a little marijuana.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:20   #108
CLOD

Boat: none

Having spent a month doing the NY Grand Jury once, I can tell you if the DA even decided to prosecute such a case there was a lot more to it.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:33   #109

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
You guys are providing worried we will invade and take away your guns and teach you to how to lock your doors.
Doors have locks?? .
Old 08-02-2014, 08:32   #110
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
Unless it was possession with intent to distribute, it is a misdemeanor .
The definition of a felony is a crime for which the defendant can do more than a year. The OP said he did thirteen months, not for the weed, but for parole violations.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:44   #111

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammer Six

The definition of a felony is a crime for which the defendant can do more than a year. The OP said he did thirteen months, not for the weed, but for parole violations.
In law school, they teach you that a felony is any crime traditionally punishable by death. It seems, however, that the original meaning was a crime punishable by forfeiture of all your land and property. Which I guess usually meant you got executed in the bargain. As a society, we've certainly gone soft, compared to the good old days!
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Old 08-02-2014, 08:50   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
In law school, they teach you that a felony is any crime traditionally punishable by death. It seems, however, that the original meaning was a crime punishable by forfeiture of all your land and property. Which I guess usually meant you got executed in the bargain. As a society, we've certainly gone soft, compared to the good old days!
In Virginia, a felony is any crime punishable by a year or more in jail.

Were things like stealing over $250 ever punishable by death? Maybe, but it probably seemed like more money back then.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:51   #113

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsailjt View Post
I admit I don't stay up to speed on current sentencing guidelines but I was under the impression that actually spending 13 months in the hoosegow was reserved for felons. Do you really have to do 13 months for a misdemeanor or was there more to this than simple possession? Maybe a larger amount so there was intent to distribute? That just seems like a lot of time for possessing a little marijuana.

Could have been multiple counts.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:21   #114

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Aside from the thread drift, a personal attack/criticism by innuendo by some on this Forum concerning someone who has been honest about his past is unfair . And, it really has nothing to do with the topic "Florida Law Enforcement." The issue in Florida is representative of what is happening nationwide in America and elsewhere in the world--namely, a restriction/disintegration of personal liberties guaranteed in our Constitution and Bill of Rights. It is the agenda of governments who under the guise of protecting its citizenry actually violates and/or amends those laws that guarantee our freedom. As the population of the US continues to dumb down represented by declining educational standards, affirmative action, lack of community involvement, self-serving political buffoons as our representatives, mindless addiction to electronic communication, video games, Facebook, television, movies; inaccurate and false reportage of the health of our economy, the government's task becomes more easily attainable. A dumb, compliant populace is a recipe for ruin. And, once again, the visage of the brain dead herd drooping their pathetic heads in a mind dumbing daze is seen as their rights and liberties are being destroyed and eliminated. Throughout the course of recorded human history, the herd has been wrong about everything. Civilization has grown by the efforts of exceptional men. As the exceptional decrease in numbers, our fate is written in the sand. Florida Law Enforcement? They are just the tip of the iceberg. Good luck and good sailing.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:41   #115

Boat: Skookum 53'

We have to have drones to work in the factories that provide all the wonderful gadgets that we all cannot live without, in order to supply someone with unimaginable wealth and influence, so that they can create rules to dictate our lives, so that we will continue work in the factory that produces all the gadgets that we all cannot live without.
Old 08-02-2014, 10:42   #116

Boat: Skookum 53'

It is the capitalist way!
Old 08-02-2014, 10:52   #117

Boat: Various

Wifey B: I don't get this whole world going to h... in a kettle or whatever. The thread started with one person upset over an overzealous TWC crew. If as described, that was wrong. But holy crap how one small action like that by three individuals becomes cause for all the angst in the rest of the thread, I don't get.

I mean, like for real, fill your life with the good and let the bad float by. I mean we've been stopped when I think the only reason was a bunch of us girls with very skimpy bikinis and the dudes wanted to see closer up. I don't know. Don't care. People in power do abuse it sometimes but hopefully not in ways to cause us real harm. Drive a red Porsche and you're more likely to get the ticket than the dude in the grey Buick.

I don't know. I just feel for those of you who have the angry, the angst, the fear. But all these things you think are new and experienced for the first time in history, they're not all that new and the fears you have, people have felt before. I just hope you're not letting all the negatives prevent you from having happiness in your lives.

Don't be like McCarthy. He saw a commie behind every bush. Don't see every little screw up as part of some great conspiracy. Ok, end of speech. Now this hot girl going to tell my hubby how much I love him. Off for now.
Old 08-02-2014, 11:00   #118

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
Wifey B: I don't get this whole world going to h... in a kettle or whatever. The thread started with one person upset over an overzealous TWC crew. If as described, that was wrong. But holy crap how one small action like that by three individuals becomes cause for all the angst in the rest of the thread, I don't get.

I mean, like for real, fill your life with the good and let the bad float by. I mean we've been stopped when I think the only reason was a bunch of us girls with very skimpy bikinis and the dudes wanted to see closer up. I don't know. Don't care. People in power do abuse it sometimes but hopefully not in ways to cause us real harm. Drive a red Porsche and you're more likely to get the ticket than the dude in the grey Buick.

I don't know. I just feel for those of you who have the angry, the angst, the fear. But all these things you think are new and experienced for the first time in history, they're not all that new and the fears you have, people have felt before. I just hope you're not letting all the negatives prevent you from having happiness in your lives.

Don't be like McCarthy. He saw a commie behind every bush. Don't see every little screw up as part of some great conspiracy. Ok, end of speech. Now this hot girl going to tell my hubby how much I love him. Off for now.
BandB,
May I respond to your thoughtful remarks in music. Good luck and good sailing. Captain Rognvald the swooner
Lollipops and Roses - Paul Petersen - YouTube
Old 08-02-2014, 11:59   #119

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post

Agree!

I'm not going to live my life looking over my shoulder fearful the man is going to zap me. I know the laws, agree with the majority of them, I adhere to them, and if some overzealous LEO is going to approach me, I'll deal with it then. I won't be taken advantage of. But to live in fear and believe conspiracy theories from those that chose to live that way is not what I'm going to do.

Yep, to some degree, the terrorists have a small victory. They'll eventually die off and go away, but so will I and I'm going be happy doing what I want to until that happens.
Old 08-02-2014, 14:18   #120

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Florida Law Enforcement ie; FWC

[QUOTE=BandB;1462814]Wifey B: ... a bunch of us girls with very skimpy bikinis and the dudes wanted to see closer up.

Now this hot girl going to tell my hubby how much I love him. Off for now.[/QUOTE

Speaking for many on here I bet, we need pics to confirm yer views, Wifey B.
Closed Thread

Tags
florida, men