Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2007, 12:16   #31

At the risk of dragging this out even more, let me suggest that refusing to drink and drive isn't an illegal act. If he had driven his boat he would possibly have committed an illegal act the consequences of which could be far reaching as he could lose his drivers licence in Ontario. It was that refusal that put him in an untenable position. Classic Catch-22. It wasn't bright to invite them to arrest him though.

Expecting common sense from law enforcement, or government for that matter, is a pipe dream in the post 911 world on either side of the border. It would seem that any citizen who happens to run afoul of law enforcement is fair game for whatever they choose to dish out. I spent 22 years in law enforcement and I've seen the rights of citizens degenerate greatly since 2001.

Aside from all that, nice way for neighbours to treat each other though, wot?
Old 19-09-2007, 12:33   #32
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdope71 View Post
At the risk of dragging this out even more, let me suggest that refusing to drink and drive isn't an illegal act.
Agreed, jdope71, but the illegal act I was alluding to was the individual's refusal to leave the country when he was denied entry and ordered to leave. That he had a good reason for doing so (fearing he might lose his license if he were to be busted for operating his vessel while drunk) did not absolve him from the obligation to leave the country when ordered to do so.

TaoJones
Old 19-09-2007, 13:17   #33

I think there are more forces at work here than we are being told about...

However, think about the deterrent effect the publicity around this event could have on a would-be terrorist!
Old 19-09-2007, 13:39   #34

Boat: Endeavour 40CC
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
That he chose to get drunk while awaiting clearance was his own stupid decision, but still he had done nothing illegal. .

When he wasn't simply confined to the drunk tank for the number of hours necessary to sober up, then put back on his boat and sent home to Canada, ICE was over-reacting.

TaoJones
As soon as he got drunk that was an illegal act. We do not confine illegals who are here illegally "to the drunk tank". We begin deportation procedings.
Old 19-09-2007, 14:57   #35

Well, the whole thing gives me another reason to stay on my side of the fence and spend my soon to be above par dollars up here or in the Caribbean. I don't recall ever seeing why they denied him entry in the first place, they just said no and I guess that's good enough.
That story got a lot of play up here and believe me, folks weren't impressed. Not that our boys in black (used to be in blue but that doesn't look intimidating enough I guess) are any angels either, but people up here are silly enough to think our guys would never do that.
Old 19-09-2007, 18:28   #36

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
I don't think a terrorist would check in to immigration after crossing the border at any point including crossing the lake. It is complex border crossing and it will take cooperation on both sides to make it safe.

If we keep on wasting precious resources on a trivial matter, we will not get to the root of the problem, keeping the terrorists out.
Old 19-09-2007, 20:45   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
An undesirable aspect of over reaction...

From far too many years as a casual teacher of teenagers my bitter experience has been that over reaction is the easiest way to loose control of a situation.

In a class room what happened is that while I was over reacting to one student (normally some naive bunny) the real terrors were running riot.

I think that the same is probably happening here. They have probably wasted over 250 man days on this one boater.

Think of how many illegals this has allowed across the border.
Old 20-09-2007, 05:56   #38

Boat: 34' Seafarer Ketch "Friea"; 30' SeaRay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Technically he entered the country illegally and the fact that he did it many times in the past is no excuse based on the changing times.
So...to keep it simple...he broke the law - admitted to doing it in the past - and the U.S. government is at fault?

I don't bloody think so!
Old 20-09-2007, 06:04   #39

Boat: Morgan 34 and Watkins 27 astern of me. Hans Christian 38T is our current love
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonotto View Post
As soon as he got drunk that was an illegal act. We do not confine illegals who are here illegally "to the drunk tank". We begin deportation procedings.
This is a good point, but the post-911 government that we have created has keyed-up everyone's fears and subsequently altered their perceptions to the point of avoiding the sensible solutions. As an enforcer of the government's laws, and thus a representative of said government, then one should always be the more mature, level-headed side in any dispute. Anyone thinking rationally would have tossed him in the drunk tank, teaching him a lesson and saving our government money, time, manpower, and (now) bad P.R.
Old 20-09-2007, 06:04   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
US & Canadian citizens should have unhindered access across our common border. This is stupid.
Sure, why not? Our southern border is open...why not the northern border? My thought is that if our southern border was monitored as effectively as our northern border, some of the issues illegal aliens could have been slowed.

And please - do not take this message as a slam at those residing to our south. I have nothing against those who choose to enter legally.
(Perhaps that's why I responded to this post in the first place!)
Old 20-09-2007, 06:13   #41

Boat: Morgan 34 and Watkins 27 astern of me. Hans Christian 38T is our current love
Upon arrival on American shores, DaCosta contacted the U.S. Border Patrol to ask for their approval to stay -- something he said he's received on previous occasions without any problems.

He had gone there legally, as recently as two weeks before. He was attempting to enter again, legally.
Old 20-09-2007, 06:15   #42

I disagree. He had NOT come there legally. If he had, he would not have been denied entry.
Old 20-09-2007, 06:25   #43

I don't want to sound like I've had a few beers or hijack the thread, but how should one enter the country? It sounds to me like he followed protocall in contacting the Coast Guard. Sure, the beers probably weren't a good idea, but where else did he go wrong?
Old 20-09-2007, 06:28   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by David M View Post
Although US Customs overreacted, it was very irresponsible of him to get drunk while waiting for clearance from Customs.

Would anyone try this in Mexico while waiting for clearance?

I'm betting "only once"!
Old 20-09-2007, 06:41   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilmington Piper View Post
I don't want to sound like I've had a few beers or hijack the thread, but how should one enter the country? It sounds to me like he followed protocall in contacting the Coast Guard. Sure, the beers probably weren't a good idea, but where else did he go wrong?
No passport.