Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Flotsam & Sailing Miscellany
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2007, 12:46   #61

Boat: Schock 35
This story is confusing on several points:
1. Waiting for clearance. We cross the border almost every year on our side of North America. Both ways you will be talking to an official on the phone who will tell you during the same conversation whether you are cleared to enter or not. Both sides can tell you to go to or stay in a certain port to be boarded for inspection, but I have never seen this happen.

How did he get drunk waiting for clearance on a 5 minute phone call?
2. If he landed, got drunk, and then called for clearance I would have to say he invited a problem. Border control people on both sides are friendly, but tend to be low on sense of humor. If someone says to them "I'm not leaving--come get me." How can the arrest be surprising?
3. Once in custody I feel the US authorities overdid it, but then the Canadian newspaper does not give their side of it.

In these post-911 days it is best to understand the rules and to follow them.
Old 23-10-2007, 12:49   #62

Agreed. Best not to make trouble (for your own safety).
Old 24-10-2007, 07:46   #63

Boat: Voyage 38 Catamaran
A couple of things. First, the guy was stupid to get drunk before he had been properly cleared. The authorities should have thrown him into the drunk tank for the night, and then given him the option to go back home or through the system. Anyone with sense would hightail it. The overnight period would be enough time to verify that he was not a risk or any warrants outstanding.

Secondly, the I-68 program has been around for a long time and has been supplanted by the Nexis card. This card can be used at border crossings, airports as well as for marine use. It is cheaper and lasts for five years instead of being renewed annually. It is used by both sides of the border and can be applied for in either Canada or the U.S.

I hope this will help make things easier for the formalities so we can get on enjoying each others country.
Old 25-10-2007, 07:00   #64

i feel like there has to be more to the story. He probably shouldnt have had a couple of beers until he knew for sure.... thats crazy though
Old 16-12-2007, 20:04   #65

Looks like a failure of leadership. The arresting officer(s) should have used some common decency and let the guy spend an hour or two sobering up and then he could shove off. They were probably being sadistic, as those types can be.

But once he was processed, the entire system failed again. To lock a man up for two weeks+ with no charges, and knowing full well that he is not a criminal or anything, smacks of a police state. He should have been released the next morning.
Old 20-12-2007, 19:54   #66
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Me thinks there is more than meets the eye,,,,,if he was hammered or loud or obnoxious....it's on him.

On the other hand Canada had the World Conference of Alcoholics Anonymous there a while back....Several of my friends were going to go, they each have 12-20 years sobriety, Canada wouldn't let them in beacuse of DUIs over 10 years in the past.

I know mechanics who won't even touch a Canadian Boat. I won't, after two out of two skipping on the bill.
Old 21-12-2007, 07:33   #67

what's nationality got to do with this?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
Me thinks there is more than meets the eye,,,,,if he was hammered or loud or obnoxious....it's on him.

On the other hand Canada had the World Conference of Alcoholics Anonymous there a while back....Several of my friends were going to go, they each have 12-20 years sobriety, Canada wouldn't let them in beacuse of DUIs over 10 years in the past.

I know mechanics who won't even touch a Canadian Boat. I won't, after two out of two skipping on the bill.
Well that's great Chief, you've managed to cast aspersions on all Canadians because of a couple of unfortunate incidents you've had or are aware of. Not even sure what your post has to do with the thread, beyond your first sentence.

I've met more than a few Americans who were complete ******** but I do not generalize all Americans like that because I know that's not the norm. I also know several people who cannot enter the US for DUI convictions in Canada. If I dug around enough I'm sure I could find some mechanic somewhere up here who got screwed by an American. But what does that add to anything?

Maybe we should avoid slinging generalized **** at other nationalities. It's not just Canadians, I've seen several derogatory comments about the French trying to slide by as humour in posts on this forum. Does someone's nationality really have relevance to some of the things discussed here? I think not. But bringing nationality up with a generalized negative inference certainly causes problems.
Old 21-12-2007, 15:20   #68
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post

If I could edit my post I would
Old 23-12-2007, 12:16   #69

Boat: Tayana 37
Send a message via Yahoo to ughmo2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
OK folks. Lets keep this on track. It is about a guy that was copped for drinking, not Terrorists. Please keep to the subject.
Thanks

Actually, I believe jdoe nailed it first, Contempt Of Cop.

The Border Patrol/INS/DHS can do whatever they want with impunity and well wishes from their bosses. Myself, as an American citizen comming back into my own country, often feel treated like a criminal. Nowhere else have I encountered the problems I haveright here "At Home". I can olny imagine what visitors must go through.

Jailed instead of being allowed to rest for a few hours? At what cost to the American people and the captain? Sounds like bigger'nyours syndrome on both sides and no wonder my dollar isn't worth dirt.

This guys nightmare began when he told 'em he wasn't going to do what they told him to do.
Old 23-12-2007, 12:24   #70

Boat: Trismus 37
We are now well into the season of goodwill towards all men, let it go and join the flow. Seasons greetings to all.
Closed Thread