Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2011, 11:29   #76

Boat: PETERSON 44
I stuff absorbent pads and a absorbent bumper around my bilge sump. Stops dropped parts dirt and oil from getting out of hand. Maybe 10 bucks a year to do this . It is an easy proactive solution. Some No issue with coast guard. Never had a bad experience.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 15:00   #77

Location: Northern British Columbia, part of the time in Prince Rupert and part of the time on Moresby Island.
Boat: 50-ft steel Ketch
Send a message via MSN to Astrid Send a message via Yahoo to Astrid
Re: Coast Guard Authority

Quote:
It’s been reported by reputable sources that a local veterinarian was observed swinging wantonly from her mizzenmast, waving a tri-cornered hat and yelling: “Hey Capn’ Jack… you can board me anytime, big boy!”

OK, enough...
I didn't know there were witnesses
Old 20-08-2011, 15:21   #78

Quote:
It’s been reported by reputable sources that a local veterinarian was observed swinging wantonly from her mizzenmast, waving a tri-cornered hat and yelling: “Hey Capn’ Jack… you can board me anytime, big boy!”

OK, enough..
video please!
dinosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 15:21   #79

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
keep some boom and pads around...then you won't get the bill or keep your bilge squeaky clean...can't fine you unless the can match it to your bilge water.
I'm missing something here. If your marina won't pump it out where do you put what's in the bilge?
Pads and boom would work but how many would it take? I don't know about your bilges but mine tends to be deep and can hold more then a few gallons.
And if I clean it that means even more pads.
Old 20-08-2011, 16:27   #80

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
I'm missing something here. If your marina won't pump it out where do you put what's in the bilge?
Pads and boom would work but how many would it take? I don't know about your bilges but mine tends to be deep and can hold more then a few gallons.
And if I clean it that means even more pads.
Of course, fixing leaks is primary to keep bilge water quantity down. Secondary is using a wetvac to suck the bilge water out and then thoroughly cleaning the bilge. Then when sea water or fresh water does get into the bilge there will little or no "oil" in the mix and it can be disposed of by wetvac and dumping that down the marina or home sanitary drain.
- - I separated my bilges by building walls so that the area under the engine is isolated from all the other bilges. Nothing from that bilge which would normally contain diesel fuel leakage and engine oil can get into the other bilges.
- - In the under engine "bilge" I place "diaper liners" that you buy in the grocery store's baby section. These are rectangular pads of highly absorbant material and cost a couple of dollars or less for 20 or so. Very cheap. The saturated ones go into left over plastic jars and disposed of just like disposing oil/fuel filters and oils. In Florida, at least, if a store sells auto parts and oils they must have provisions to "take back" used oil and filters.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 16:41   #81
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by osirissail View Post
Of course, fixing leaks is primary to keep bilge water quantity down. Secondary is using a wetvac to suck the bilge water out and then thoroughly cleaning the bilge. Then when sea water or fresh water does get into the bilge there will little or no "oil" in the mix and it can be disposed of by wetvac and dumping that down the marina or home sanitary drain.
- - I separated my bilges by building walls so that the area under the engine is isolated from all the other bilges. Nothing from that bilge which would normally contain diesel fuel leakage and engine oil can get into the other bilges.
- - In the under engine "bilge" I place "diaper liners" that you buy in the grocery store's baby section. These are rectangular pads of highly absorbant material and cost a couple of dollars or less for 20 or so. Very cheap. The saturated ones go into left over plastic jars and disposed of just like disposing oil/fuel filters and oils. In Florida, at least, if a store sells auto parts and oils they must have provisions to "take back" used oil and filters.
Really? That’s cool!
Old 20-08-2011, 17:51   #82
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Same with California. It helps keep oil from getting dumped down storm drains etc.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 17:53   #83

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Real oil absorbent pads are the ticket because they don't absorb water...therefore depending on the pad or sock...you could have a quart of oil and a hundred gallons of water and the pad will do the cleanup for you.

The other ticket is the shop vac...have always had one and advocated them widely in my teaching.

Keep a clean bilge and pumping isn't the problem except in rare emergency situations.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2011, 18:05   #84

Boat: Gulfstar, Mark II Ketch, 43'

Son in law was changing oil on my boat, dropped 5 qts of oil in the bilge and of course made a big mess.

Worker at the marina gave me an oil cleaner, don't remember name of product. Made of spheres of beeswax, absorbs the oil and then a bio activiyu causes the sphere to break down the oil and the spheres break down and can be pumped out by the bilge pump. Was amazing stuff. Recommended to have water in the bilge, disconnected water inyake to add some water. Took about 2 days for the process.
Unicorn Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 05:24   #85

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris

Oh, another use of the "diaper liners" - I have an on deck diesel fuel fill which is just uphill a little from an overboard scupper. Whenever I am refilling with diesel I put two of the "diaper liners" just below the diesel fill hole and then if any diesel backs up or drips from the fueling nozzle it is absorbed by the "diaper liners." These are then placed in the refueling stations trash can for oil soaked materials. Quick, efficient and extremely economical (cheap).
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 06:11   #86

Boat: Lagoon 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post

On another note: everyone bitches about the US Coast Guard until they really need them.
finally a word of wisdom, the CG has always been nothing but congenial and polite when they have boarded us. They are just doing thier job. GIVE THEM A BREAK! It's not like they are shooting at ya!!!!!!!!!!
https://www.sailblogs.com/member/svjusdreaming/
"The only way to get a good crew is to marry one." -Eric Hiscock
JusDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-08-2011, 07:42   #87

Boat: Tartan 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by JusDreaming
finally a word of wisdom, the CG has always been nothing but congenial and polite when they have boarded us. They are just doing thier job. GIVE THEM A BREAK! It's not like they are shooting at ya!!!!!!!!!!
True! When I was boarded I didn't see any guns (although I'm sure they have em on the boat) they were all dressed in safety gear and very proffessional and courtious.

On the other hand. Every day I watch the local police boat (it's a city marina) load up wearing body armor and carrying machine guns along with their usual array of sidearms, no less than 2 guns on each person
And just yesterday, I stood and watched as they overfilled their gas tank and dumped atleast a gallon of fuel into the water. They pretended like it didn't happen and went on about their business without a word about it. The whole front half of the marina smelled like gasoline for a few hours and the 'slick' was 4 docks long and 4-5 slips wide. Not a word, no attempt to clean it up... I don't wanna get stopped by those guys, but the coasties are welcome aboard my boat anytime.
Old 21-08-2011, 08:05   #88

Boat: S&S Hughes 38

In Mexico of all places,everytime a boat pulls into the fuel dock at Costa Baja in Lapaz,the attendants pull a boom around you with another boat.They also supply vent overflow catchjar and have lots of pads ready.Maybe other marinas will take note.
highseas is offline   Reply With Quote