Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2015, 02:50   #16

Re: Cleaning oil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Excellent point, Wottie.

Note to hoppy, it may help with advice if you state where you are in the first post. Actually, that meat product was hilarious. If it's cheap, might try it. Little harm done.

Ann
I did not want to buck the trend in the forum and name where I am straight up

Some I the meats I saw looked like using them to clean off oil would be preferable to consumption

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 31-07-2015, 02:52   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Then try diesel followed with detergent. Diesel is nothing more than oily kero

What about petrol? (Does feel stupid thinking about using something so flammable)

Old 31-07-2015, 03:15   #18
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Petrol is like dirty Brake Clean
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 03:18   #19
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Excellent point, Wottie.

Note to hoppy, it may help with advice if you state where you are in the first post. Actually, that meat product was hilarious. If it's cheap, might try it. Little harm done.

Ann
That's funny

Hoppy's location is given under his user name on LHS of screen and is " On boat in Greece"
Your location is simply "Aboard"
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 03:46   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
That's funny

Hoppy's location is given under his user name on LHS of screen and is " On boat in Greece"
Your location is simply "Aboard"

LOL

Old 31-07-2015, 05:20   #21
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I know it sounds fishy, but Dawn really does do a better job of de-greasing than most other detergents, used to be if you spilled a little fuel at the dock, you sprinkle in a little Dawn, and poof, the fuel disappeared. Now I have heard there is a major fine for doing that, apparently I guess Dawn is a dispersant, where other detergents aren't?
My next attempt would be using mineral spirits or I think it's also called white spirits? It's also barbecue lighter fluid. Yes it's obviously a pollutant, but don't pour it on the water, just put it on a rag.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 07:32   #22

A trick I learned from an uncle was to use dishwasher soap to remove oil and grease from your hands. The trick was to first to put soap on your hands and lather up. Do NOT use water at this stage. Work the soap to clean up the oil/grease and then add water. Once water is in the mix, the oil is not easily removed. If the soap has lifted the oil/grease, the water will flush it away. But if you wet your hands, and then add soap, it really does not clean very well.

Might want to try to clean the line by letting it dry out and the work in the soap.

Brake cleaner is some nasty scat. I use it to clean a few things but I wear vinyl gloves since some brake cleaners have eaten latex gloves. It also drastically dries out your skin which cannot be good.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 07:48   #23

I found that I had some degrease spray which I had only bought a couple of weeks ago and forgot

I gave that a go and it got rid of the worst of it on the gelcoat. It's a bit windy so the boat is moving around and small waves are passing by which makes it hard to do. Need a calm day to get rid of the rest
Old 31-07-2015, 08:24   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I know it sounds fishy, but Dawn really does do a better job of de-greasing than most other detergents, used to be if you spilled a little fuel at the dock, you sprinkle in a little Dawn, and poof, the fuel disappeared. Now I have heard there is a major fine for doing that, apparently I guess Dawn is a dispersant, where other detergents aren't?
My next attempt would be using mineral spirits or I think it's also called white spirits? It's also barbecue lighter fluid. Yes it's obviously a pollutant, but don't pour it on the water, just put it on a rag.
Yes, there are your Dawn users and your Joy users! Both are good. I liked joy on the boat as I cruised with a Physicist from Hewlett Packard in the 80's. He said HP did studies for cleaning certain componants and Joy was the winner. Joy also sud's up well in salt water. Maybe Dawn does too.

TSP: This stuff is amazing... and very harsh on your hands etc. Use rubber gloves if you use it. It is a bit harsh on the environment though. I use to have it in a big "salt shaker" like container. Amazing for cleaning decks.
If you ever buy an old boat that has sat for years and is covered with black stain and green slime... wash it aggressively with TSP and you will be absolutely amazed!
I'm not sure how great it is for oils as opposed to normal detergent though. BTW, laundry detergent used to have some tsp in it... which is why it cleans so good. Not sure it still does though due to environ reasons.

I see no reason to add petrol products to oil unless you have tar on your boat. If your gel is pourous it's only going to add to the problem.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2015, 09:17   #25

Boat: Skookum 53'

Harbor Master degreaser works, well along with Simple green, joy, dawn.

Tags
cleaning, oil