Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 28-10-2009, 19:25   #196

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailstoo View Post
"Freudian Sloop"
Love it - with your permission I will use the phase in the future - who says you can't learn anything new on these forums . . .
- - And a lot of the names of boats reflect the creativity of the owner and a micro statement of his/her life.
- - While in Luperon many years ago we met a couple on a sailboat named "Honey, I Want" - - - - The poor man has a very demanding wife and like a parrot she started all her sentences with that phrase, so he explained to us it was a fitting name for his boat.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 20:26   #197
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
I don't like most boat names.

Cute, artsy-fartsy. double entendre, or cryptic....Blechh.

I kept the name of my Ericson....it's ok...a little cutesy but describes the lack of wind on the Chesterpeake in the middle of summer....when it is just a whisper
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 22:05   #198

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
As is quite common but it is still used by many and quoted.

Maybe that is why so many these days a just wrong but know they are right.
Yep, anyone can change / edit the info on Wikipedia, I wonder if you can ad your boat name?

Wikipedia is written collaboratively by an international group of volunteers. Anyone with internet access can write and make changes to Wikipedia articles. There are no requirements to provide one's real name when contributing; rather, each writer's privacy is protected unless they choose to reveal their identity themselves. Since its creation in 2001, Wikipedia has grown rapidly into one of the largest reference web sites, attracting around 65 million visitors monthly as of 2009. There are more than 75,000 active contributors working on more than 14,000,000 articles in more than 260 languages. As of today, there are 3,078,086 articles in English. Every day, hundreds of thousands of visitors from around the world collectively make tens of thousands of edits and create thousands of new articles to augment the knowledge held by the Wikipedia encyclopedia. (See also: Wikipedia:Statistics.)
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 22:15   #199

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipg View Post
Yep, anyone can change / edit the info on Wikipedia, I wonder if you can ad your boat name?

Wikipedia is written collaboratively by an international group of volunteers. Anyone with internet access can write and make changes to Wikipedia articles. There are no requirements to provide one's real name when contributing; rather, each writer's privacy is protected unless they choose to reveal their identity themselves. Since its creation in 2001, Wikipedia has grown rapidly into one of the largest reference web sites, attracting around 65 million visitors monthly as of 2009. There are more than 75,000 active contributors working on more than 14,000,000 articles in more than 260 languages. As of today, there are 3,078,086 articles in English. Every day, hundreds of thousands of visitors from around the world collectively make tens of thousands of edits and create thousands of new articles to augment the knowledge held by the Wikipedia encyclopedia. (See also: Wikipedia:Statistics.)
COOL!! Finally I can take out my revenge and screw with people..

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Stillraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-10-2009, 22:25   #200

I was thinking Wikipedia defenitions of your boats name might be really fun to put a link to it in your avatar and a pic. It would come in hand for the difficult names
Chipg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 10:15   #201

A guy in our marina owned a Dufour 27 called "Ad Nauseam" (Until Seasick)
now he bougth a Carter 30 and named it "Single Malt"

IMHO he meant that No. 2 is a cure for No. 1
vacendak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2009, 10:23   #202

Boat: North Pacific Yachts Trawler 42'
The Admiral named out boat "Cloud IX". She then bought a Trinka dinghy, with white hull, stored on the flying bridge and named it "Cirrus"
Cloud IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 07:47   #203

Boat: 1978 44 foot Camper & Nicholsons Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
High Heels
So defjef, have you ever seen a boat named this? I haven't and made it my user name since it was the name I imagined for my very own little racing J Boat someday ;0) The first boat I own with my Husband and it was just too girly a name. I love shoes, sold them at Nordstrom at one point, and joke is I never wear High Heels, so closest I come is heeling over on a sailboat...

Other boat names I have come across that made an impression...on Chesapeake Bay in the early 90s there were some good racing boat names...

"Shamalamadingdong" - My husband's favorite

"Aunt Jean" - The owner bought the boat with the inheritance his Aunt Jean left him.
High Heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 17:20   #204

great forum, and lots of fun, i really like one a guy has at the club here in nova scotia

vitamin sea
blue noser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:12   #205

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwork orange View Post
Not generally a fan of stupid names but there is a photo sequence i saw on the net of a 27ft cat pitchpoling taken from a boat in front,way cool,anyway the cats name was "Cat Sass".
Another i saw many moons ago was a boat that some guy had built from scrounged materials in Fiji or the Cook islands that he appropriatly named "Maid of Dunnage",this was in the 1970s and was sort of a poke at a bunch of well known British race boats with names like "Maid of Mallam" and "Maid of Endor" or something like that.
Steve.
I chartered a boat a week ago. It's name was Cat Sass II. 47' Catamaran from the Moorings so its probably not related. We got some good laughs from anyone we had to give the name to.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 08:13   #206

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 25 "Turtle"
My 31yo Pacific Seacraft 25 is named "Turtle" because she reminded me of an old sea turtle. Tough and kind of slow. When I bought her the name was Malia. I changed that almost right away without trouble as it was nowhere to be found on the boat.

It was also long before the election. I have since found that the Presidents older daughter is named Malia. A hawaiian word(malia or malio) for "the sky just before dawn". A very pretty word picture but to me it just didn't describe the way the boat "talks" to me........m
Old 09-11-2009, 08:59   #207

Boat: Privilege 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by cantxsailor View Post
My 31yo Pacific Seacraft 25 is named "Turtle"
I hope she does not live up to her name . . . . . and turn turtle
Old 09-11-2009, 09:11   #208

Boat: 41' Custom CC Cutter
I used to race an Olson 30 named Holy Guacamole. One of our competitors was called Aliens Ate My Buick.
Old 09-11-2009, 09:45   #209

Location: Cruising in the SUN! Now hauled out in Malta for the winter.
Boat: 37' Oldenziel cat
Came across a tender in the UK called "Tax Refund" as the owner paid for it from an income tax refund he received from the taxman.
multihullsailor6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:18   #210

Boat: Mirage 25 "Garfield"
I liked the racehorse that was named "Hoof Hearted".It was great to hear the announcer call him during the race.

Phil
Philsboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat names