Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2015, 18:01   #121

Re: Boating Pet Peeves

Quote:
Originally Posted by PortClydeMe View Post
Wait a second. I'm still laughing.

Anyway, here's something most people don't know. When you get it back to your kitchen, you can take a live Maine lobster and stand it on its head on the counter... its tail in the air and its claws flayed out for support. While holding it with one hand, you gently stroke its back on the shell, and it will soon go to sleep and not move.

Fun fact, huh? You heard it here first.
I have pictures of that. From Silver Donald Cameron's book about his circumnavigation of Cape Breton. Great book.

Thanks for reminding us.

Pet peeve:

People who don't read books.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 18:08   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
I have pictures of that. From Silver Donald Cameron's book about his circumnavigation of Cape Breton. Great book.

Thanks for reminding us.

Pet peeve:

People who don't read books.
And I thought books went the way of hula hoops, superballs, and slinkies. They're still around, huh?

Pet peeve:

People who talk about lobster photos and fail to post them.
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 18:11   #123

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

visiting Maine to eat lobster and being told the little ones are better.

visiting Maine to eat lobster and being told there are no big ones I can get to eat.

Liars of all types.

Buffoons too.
Old 20-03-2015, 18:17   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
visiting Maine to eat lobster and being told the little ones are better.

visiting Maine to eat lobster and being told there are no big ones I can get to eat.

Liars of all types.

Buffoons too.
You should be more specific. Are these pet peeves, or things in life that you enjoy?

Before you steam a Maine mussel, it's best to remove the beard. Once partly open, place them on a tray on the "half-shell", then add a mix of butter, garlic, and white wine. Ten minutes under the broiler, and you will no longer have any pet peeves. It's like magic. Even Japanese people don't know about it, and they know almost everything about seafood. Ever had whale? It's yummy!
Old 20-03-2015, 18:19   #125

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Wait a second. I'm still laughing.

Anyway, here's something most people don't know. When you get it back to your kitchen, you can take a live Maine lobster and stand it on its head on the counter... its tail in the air and its claws flayed out for support. While holding it with one hand, you gently stroke its back on the shell, and it will soon go to sleep and not move.

Maine lobsters taste better when you toss them into the boiling water asleep.

Fun fact, huh? You heard it here first.
If it's a Canadian lobster,not only will it perform that stunt-you can whisper into it's feelers "Please get in the pot of boiling water",& it will clap it's claws together,skitter to the pot,hook it's tail in the rim & perform a perfect back flip into the water,while whistling dixie.
Old 20-03-2015, 18:23   #126

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
If it's a Canadian lobster,not only will it perform that stunt-you can whisper into it's feelers "Please get in the pot of boiling water",& it will clap it's claws together,skitter to the pot,hook it's tail in the rim & perform a perfect back flip into the water,while whistling dixie.
haha

Ya know, they way I heard that story, you had to whisper "Ey, you hoser, get back into that pot of boiling water. This ain't Maine!"
Old 20-03-2015, 19:55   #127

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

After reading this stuff about Maine, I have NO desire to ever go back there again.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 20:10   #128

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:
You are damn right about that! It's an "industry". Wars are fought over them. It's huge for the Maine economy. That, and potatoes and lumber. Please go to Aroostook County and start chopping down some trees. You'll be visited by some pretty angry big boys, and real quick.

My guess is that the trees are on private property and that potatoes in Maine are grown on private farms. The Lobstermen are harvesting a wild resource on public bottom and public waters.

They're not jerks. They're just doing their job. So what if they don't care about Mr. & Mrs. Pleasureboater? Why should they? They live there, you don't. They are working, you are not. In essence, you are an interloper, and always will be.

I'll keep that attitude in mind next time I see a Maine license plate in my home state of Florida. Why shouldn't just run them off the road? I live there, they don't. Why should I be civil to them? We got along quite well before Disney ruined the state. The reason I don't do this is that I fancy myself a civilized law abiding citizen and treat my fellows civilly.

That will never happen.

On this we agree, at least for the foreseeable future.

Yup. Happens to all of us. So what? Deal with it. For both kelp and pot lines, a quick heavy thrust in reverse many times will free you up. Just a hint. Take it, or leave it.

Please re-read the above reply. They live there. They do what they want. They don't care about you, or me... and I'm from there and know them.

No, they don't. But it's factored into the cost of doing business. Simple as that. I used to collect lobster buoys that washed ashore when I was a kid. They used to be made out of wood. Now, styrofoam.

Anyway, Bill, just avoid the pot buoys and let the lobstermen do what they want. You'll be happier in the long run.
Well you've convinced me that they not jerks, they're worse, They're organized criminals. Criminals are people that do what they want regardless of the law or civilized behavioral norms. I suppose the next time you're driving down the interstate you be totally happy when some trucker runs you off the road into a ditch, after all he's out there working and he should be able to do what he wants. If you say something to him you won't mind at all if he pulls a shotgun and shoots you or burns your house down, after all he's out there trying to make a living. It's OK because you don't have to drive on his road you can take another road.

That's some attitude you have. Every criminal in america hopes to get someone with your attitude on their jury. Most of them were simply trying to make a living, so whatever they wanted to do in that pursuit is OK with you.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 04:30   #129

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
Well you've convinced me that they not jerks, they're worse, They're organized criminals. Criminals are people that do what they want regardless of the law or civilized behavioral norms. I suppose the next time you're driving down the interstate you be totally happy when some trucker runs you off the road into a ditch, after all he's out there working and he should be able to do what he wants. If you say something to him you won't mind at all if he pulls a shotgun and shoots you or burns your house down, after all he's out there trying to make a living. It's OK because you don't have to drive on his road you can take another road.

That's some attitude you have. Every criminal in america hopes to get someone with your attitude on their jury. Most of them were simply trying to make a living, so whatever they wanted to do in that pursuit is OK with you.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 05:43   #130

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
After reading this stuff about Maine, I have NO desire to ever go back there again.
You won't be missed.
Old 21-03-2015, 05:53   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post

Bill, what's your problem with Maine lobstermen? Again, they are just doing a job. Relax. Or better yet, just never visit there again. Simple as that. Like senormechanico, you won't be missed, especially by lobster fishermen.

By the way, there are locals doing their own thing all over the US. I guy was found hanging from a tree yesterday in Mississippi. Feel better now? Lobstermen are not so bad, don't you agree?

If a Maine lobstermen is reading this thread (which I highly doubt), he's probably having a good chuckle right now.
Old 21-03-2015, 07:59   #132

Troll (Internet) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 08:13   #133

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

I think this thread was OK and some fun too. Was!
Time for the magic button.
Ready? On three. One............two..............
Old 21-03-2015, 08:14   #134

Three.

Ahh.
Old 21-03-2015, 08:29   #135
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
Three.

Ahh.
I wonder if that Ahh was a thread tool or a member tool